Mold/Fungus/Moss growing on carpet/OSB underlayment

I have a 2003 Diplomat 38PBDD.  Water leaking in from the front corner of the main slideout has resulted in the growth of some type of mold or fungus or moss on the carpet between the steering column and the drivers side and front walls.

This living thing is apparently rotting (eating) the OSB floor underlayment.  It is orange in color and has a fuzzy moss like appearance.  I have searched the internet trying to find out what it is with no success so far.

Have any of you other Monacoers experienced this or know what the stuff is?

I know how to prevent it (keep it dry) and kill it (bleach or some commercial stuff) , but I just want to find out what exactly this creepy life form is.

Michael Connor

2003 Dip, 38PBDD

Unfortunately once the OSB gets wet the damage is already done unless you can get it dried out and then use a wood hardener, if caught in time you might be able to save it.  There is a wide selection of the hardeners.  I used some in the Class C we had and it worked. 

I had a soft spot that wasn't repairable so I had to replace.  Sounds daunting but not as bad I had first envisioned when I found it.  I could crumble the OSB in my hand, which made it easy to remove.  Had to take out enough to get to good wood. 

I had the same problem in the same place on my 96 HR Endeavor.  My leak came from the side of the windshield gasket.  I pulled up the carpet and cleaned it.  I bleached, scraped, brushed, etc all the mold out.   I know what you mean about the fungus plants that were growing in the carpet - gross.   I put a quarter-inch steel plate back under the carpet.  I also had to clean all the rust off my propane tank and frame.  I repainted that area with Rust Reformer spray paint and put a top coat of silver on the propane tank.  It was a small nightmare project.  Just a little water but it was sneaking in and under things.  By the time I discovered it, it was a big problem.  Of course, I had to have the windshield resealed by an auto glass company.  And then there was the slide seal leaking at the top where you couldn't see it. That ran down and snuck under the wood plank floor.  That's another story.  We now have a barn big enough to store our coach.  Water can be evil.

Go onto West Marine. https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-marine-rot-repair-penetrating-epoxy-12-oz.-20125670.html   They have several types of penetrating epoxies.  Essentially it takes rotten wood, and hardens after injecting the epoxy.  I had a couple soft spots on my houseboat roof, I used this and they disappeared.  

Don’t forget your PPE dealing with the mold..   good luck