Upgrade for sorry headlights.

Ivylog

I still drive at night and sorry headlights seem to be the norm on Monacos. I installed led bulbs knowing they wouldn’t increase the sight distance… wanted to decrease the amps through the VIP smart wheel controller. 
Experimented with 4 different led spotlights and the cheapest ones (EBay) were definitely the best plus they were the only ones adjustable in all 3 axis… needed for mounting on the curved front cap. Mounted them next to the mirror mounts at the max legal height of 55”. 
Added the old style foot switch to turn them on/off. The increased sight distance. It was substantial when I tested them on the front of my SUV which has good HID headlights.

After driving 8+ hours at night I’m very happy with how much better I can see. Took several tries at adjusting them but no one flashed me even in construction zones of only 2 lanes. 1st picture is the led spot lights I mounted., 3rd led spot lights on  (taken shortly after  lower picture), and 2nd is where I mounted them… high as legal so I could angle them down. 1st picture is current listing on EBay.

IMG_5732.png

IMG_7849.png

IMG_7848.png

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 3

The lower to the ground the more likely you’ll bling oncoming traffic. By mounting as high as legal you get a better down angle. I was a little surprised I didn’t have to turn them off as no one in 8 hours flashed me, even in right hand turns or construction zones.

• Like 1

Nice job!  I'm very hesitant to travel at night with our stock headlights, so would like to install these on our RV.

Could you please post a photo showing how the light is mounted to the RV front cap?   I'm having a hard time imaging how you can adjust the spot light in both the X and Y axis using the bracket that is included with the light.

Yes, you need lights that are adjustable in all 3 axis because of the curved front cap. Of the several different spotlights I tried on the front of my SUV, these are the only ones with 3 adjustments, the cheapest price and a really good “spot” light.

• Like 1

Good TOPIC.  GOOD INFORMATION.  Sort of a "HEY....we have a simple solution" topic.  Just for information.  Many of us have a Headlight assembly that was never made nor intended to be upgraded to any type of aftermarket LED or HID light.  For those who can crawl under and pop out a bulb and then upgrade and have clearance and the LED's work.  THANK SOMEONE.  I have NO idea where else the 2008 (I think...2009 for sure) Camelot OEM lights were used on.  BUT, the bulbs, as best I can see without pulling the entire assembly are sort of "BURIED" in the rear of the housing.  I have done at least 5 or more LED upgrades for my vehicles, families or friends.  They were simple.  Untwist bulb....disconnect bulb, reconnect to LED, TEST...the insert and twist to lock. Those reflectors have nothing behind them. In the Camelots, the reflectors are then semi encapsulated by a large housing.  I will leave it to those that have had to replace a bulb to comment and I may have just "overlooked" the simplicity.

The issue in the past, when headlights and upgrades were discussed and a LOT of great information was provided...was the "assumption" that all the Monaco Headlight Assemblies were the simple kind....and then many members ordered replacements and then got under and OMG, this ain't gonna work.

Due to the rapid growth of this site...and the wealth of knowledge, it is a great resource.  BUT, the inconsistency or perhaps the constant changing of things by Monaco is a challenge.  Therefore, if this topic morphs into info on how to upgrade an existing headlight and information....that is GREAT.  We always learn.  BUT, for the individual that is doing it....make sure you do your homework....and for those providing the information....bare in mind that the headlight assemble that was a piece of cake....may be on the MH that has one of the "I'll add NEW lights..."

I really decided a long time ago....that night driving with the Monaco headlights in the Camelot was a major accident waiting to happen.  I have good eyes for my advanced age....  I have great headlights in my fleet.  My kids told me that trading my C5 Vette for a C7 was false economy as Uber or Lyft would drive me around at night.  LOL....they were trying to protect their presumed inheriatance.

Keep on posting upgrades and such....I have seen several rigs that had two sets of light bars...one for "LOW" beams and one for High.  BOTH OF THEM ON looked like a UAP landing...

Thanks for understanding the intent of this post....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes I bought the same headlights for our 06 Executive back in April and they fit perfect and were plug and play just as advertised. The only thing I had to do was take oscillating tool and cut off a couple clips that were sticking out of the top for whatever automobile they were originally intended for.

20231216_091157.jpg

9 minutes ago, Steve Merritt said:

Yes I bought the same headlights for our 06 Executive back in April and they fit perfect and were plug and play just as advertised. The only thing I had to do was take oscillating tool and cut off a couple clips that were sticking out of the top for whatever automobile they were originally intended for.

20231216_091157.jpg

Just to clarify. You bought the headlights from the ebay seller I shared?

Are these units projector units as advertised? If so I assume the performance is better than OEM.

34 minutes ago, Grey Goose said:

Just to clarify. You bought the headlights from the ebay seller I shared?

Are these units projector units as advertised? If so I assume the performance is better than OEM.

Well to be clear the OEM had faded and oxidized so bad and I had polished them 3 times in 5 years that anything was going to be an improvement. I will say they are a very different light output. They are brighter for sure but I was not as impressed with the high beam projection as I wanted to be, dim is a 500% improvement. We live outside Knoxville Tn and run back and forth to north Florida often to check on my wife's dad and I like to leave here in the evening and travel through Atlanta at night as much as possible because of traffic and on the interstate in and around Atlanta they did not make much difference honestly and that maybe because all the other pole lights are LED also now so there was no significant difference with the headlights on. I also notice that same issue at dusk but once it gets DARK DARK they are really crisp clear light. Yes this is the same place and from Ebay that they came from. I am still going to convert my fog lights over to LED flood/spot lights this coming spring just to get all the bang for the bucks that I can.  

1 hour ago, Steve Merritt said:

Well to be clear the OEM had faded and oxidized so bad and I had polished them 3 times in 5 years that anything was going to be an improvement. I will say they are a very different light output. They are brighter for sure but I was not as impressed with the high beam projection as I wanted to be, dim is a 500% improvement. We live outside Knoxville Tn and run back and forth to north Florida often to check on my wife's dad and I like to leave here in the evening and travel through Atlanta at night as much as possible because of traffic and on the interstate in and around Atlanta they did not make much difference honestly and that maybe because all the other pole lights are LED also now so there was no significant difference with the headlights on. I also notice that same issue at dusk but once it gets DARK DARK they are really crisp clear light. Yes this is the same place and from Ebay that they came from. I am still going to convert my fog lights over to LED flood/spot lights this coming spring just to get all the bang for the bucks that I can.  

Improvement on dim is what I am looking for but I am leary of LED unless it is a projector lens design and not simply an LED bulb put in a reflector style housing.

Edited by Grey Goose
  • Like 1

A couple thoughts on the headlight upgrade topic.

First I did not mean to hijack this thread. I assumed it could be a source to discuss multiple solutions for what appears to be a common issue. If the moderators would like me to start a new thread that is fine by me.

I suspect that in some cases Monaco and other coach builders may have not used quality OEM headlights and used aftermarket parts with suspect quality. I certainly avoid driving my coach at night unless it is a well lit highway/roadway. I cant imagine the original oem product was this bad but maybe I am just spoiled by modern LED vehicle lighting.

I am somewhat hopeful that the ebay seller I shared in the thread has an above average product based on what I have found out so far. The fact this seller has units that "appear" to be LED projector design gives me hope as this certainly would have some advantages based on my experience with other vehicles. I am excited for the RV community because the seller is listing products available for a broad range of Monaco and other coaches that certainly need something better than the original equipment that came with their coach.

I intend to dig a bit deeper with the seller and try to get better information about design and build quality and will share if I can get it.

If anyone else has experience with this sellers product please share. 

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Grey Goose said:

A couple thoughts on the headlight upgrade topic.

First I did not mean to hijack this thread. I assumed it could be a source to discuss multiple solutions for what appears to be a common issue. If the moderators would like me to start a new thread that is fine by me.

I suspect that in some cases Monaco and other coach builders may have not used quality OEM headlights and used aftermarket parts with suspect quality. I certainly avoid driving my coach at night unless it is a well lit highway/roadway. I cant imagine the original oem product was this bad but maybe I am just spoiled by modern LED vehicle lighting.

I am somewhat hopeful that the ebay seller I shared in the thread has an above average product based on what I have found out so far. The fact this seller has units that "appear" to be LED projector design gives me hope as this certainly would have some advantages based on my experience with other vehicles. I am excited for the RV community because the seller is listing products available for a broad range of Monaco and other coaches that certainly need something better than the original equipment that came with their coach.

I intend to dig a bit deeper with the seller and try to get better information about design and build quality and will share if I can get it.

If anyone else has experience with this sellers product please share. 

Thanks in advance.

Hey Grey Goose - Monaco typically used an existing manufacturers headlight design for their installations, rather than designing their own propriety headlight. Much easier for them/us to replace after the fact from a manufactors point of view. Not sure if Monico put in an actual true OEM headlight or an aftermarket headlight for that particular manufacturer? Regardless, headlights once being made with the plastic lens, just don't last like the old style glass lens headlights. I needed to replace the headlights in my wife's 2013 Town & Country last year because of clouding. I replaced my RV headlights about 3 years ago & they are beginning to slightly turn or clear coat flaking to some degree.

Bart from VA

• Like 1

18 hours ago, isptbart said:

Hey Grey Goose - Monaco typically used an existing manufacturers headlight design for their installations, rather than designing their own propriety headlight. Much easier for them/us to replace after the fact from a manufactors point of view. Not sure if Monico put in an actual true OEM headlight or an aftermarket headlight for that particular manufacturer? Regardless, headlights once being made with the plastic lens, just don't last like the old style glass lens headlights. I needed to replace the headlights in my wife's 2013 Town & Country last year because of clouding. I replaced my RV headlights about 3 years ago & they are beginning to slightly turn or clear coat flaking to some degree.

Bart from VA

I have found that aftermarket headlights don't seem to last as long as OEM.
UV tends to cloud them much sooner.
Of course, there's a huge price difference, and sometimes the OEM is NLA.

14 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

I have found that aftermarket headlights don't seem to last as long as OEM.
UV tends to cloud them much sooner.
Of course, there's a huge price difference, and sometimes the OEM is NLA.

I totally agree! Tha is what I was trying to express but my experience on at least 4 vehicles was not consistent with a particular after market source & when comparing, lots of variable because I don't park & drive them the same way at the same time!

• Like 1