ATS Problem LYGHT 08 Endeavor

63Hotrod

Installed this a few years back when the old one was recalled. The issue now is it it takes several minutes before it clicks in, it use to take only a moment after the Progressive Industries surge protector reads power. It shows good power and no issues. 

Edited by 63Hotrod
Spelling

• 63Hotrod changed the title to ATS Problem LYGHT 08 Endeavor
1 hour ago, 63Hotrod said:

Installed this a few years back when the old one was recalled. The issue now is it it takes several minutes before it clicks in, it use to take only a moment after the Progressive Industries surge protector reads power. It shows good power and no issues. 

Bill - does this happen only when you connect to shore power?  Or does it delay also when you start the generator?

2 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

First STEP.  Look UP Esco or Elkhart Sales Corporation.  Call them.  The switch is actually known as the LPT50BRD.  They BOUGHT LYGHT...  and it was marketed under the LPT50BRD name but NOW has a dual identity and the LYGHT is on the catalog.

They will go over what you need to do or look for.  They also have parts and it is "field servicable.

What THEY probably will want, is the TIMING.  Since the Progressive is upstream, you need to have someone turn on the breaker or start the Genny.  You need the cover off.  Put your Meter probes on the INCOMIN (Line or Shore) terminals... when on 50 Amp.  You will then see or the meter will register or measure and then you sort of mentally or have someone time it.  They need, I think to know the TIMING from when the POWER (delivered from the HW50C) gets to the ESCO LPT50BRD and then the reaction or the time that it takes for the ATS to engage.  NOW, memory says this.  The ATS is actually closed or in the SHORE mode.  

That means that the ATS, I THINK, does NOT click....as the contacts are closed.  BUT, if the Genny is running, then when the Lyght registers Voltage...from the Genny, then the contactors close.  I may be WRONG, but I think that the relays or contactors in the LYGHT are NOT center OFF....as in it energizes ONE way for SHORE or the other for Genny.

It MAY be that the delay and click you hear is something going on in the Progressive.  You MAY need to use two Cells and have someone watch the lights on the Progressive to determine if it is the issue.

You CAN have someone turn on a 50 Amp breaker....and tell you over the phone when....then time or note how long the Progressive takes to come up.

That is the ONLY way you can isolate whether you have an ATS or a Progressive issue.

NOW...if you do NOT plug in to Shore....then start the Genny....with the cover off...you will instantly see on your meter...and remember, this time measure L1 or L2 to NEUTRAL as I don't think you have a 220 or 10KW genny...  Then you can test it out.

Once you isolate it, ESCO or Progressive should help you trouble shoot and get you new parts.

ALSO, make SURE that all the connections in the HW50C as well as the ATS are TIGHT...

Good Luck.

Tom going to check the connections n the am. The sequence has always been plug in turn breaker progressive lights up giving L1 info then L2 then any error code then we hear a click They are side by side so not sure where the click came from

Now we get the same sequence on the progressive no error code but no power in the coach. About 3 or 4 min we hear a click and have power

Good info I will have to see if I can run those test. Might be above my head 

30 minutes ago, 63Hotrod said:

Tom going to check the connections n the am. The sequence has always been plug in turn breaker progressive lights up giving L1 info then L2 then any error code then we hear a click They are side by side so not sure where the click came from

Now we get the same sequence on the progressive no error code but no power in the coach. About 3 or 4 min we hear a click and have power

Good info I will have to see if I can run those test. Might be above my head 

Yeah, I have the same equipment and have no delay after the Progressive allows power to the coach!

Only thing I can offer is checking all the wire lug's are tight.

I'm sure the ESCO switch fails at some point! 

14 minutes ago, 63Hotrod said:

Tom you are correct the rely is normally closed . I found the attached information good to keep.

So I assume the click is in the Progressive box. But I thought it was mostly circuit boards when I had it open last.

LPT50BRD8x8x4TrblShootRepair020106.pdf 528.66 kB · 0 downloads

I am MAKING an assumption.  Most here have the hardwired HW50 or the HW50C...or whatever they call it.  They are hardwired prior to the ATS.  One has the remote or info on it and the other has the info on a remote.

SO, my comments are aimed at that one....

There is ONE contactor in the Progressive, or at least in mine.  There are, I THINK, two contactors in the LYGHT LPT50BRD. The Progressive has two boards....both replaceable.  One is the "Control Board" that runs it and feeds the display.  The other is the MOV's.  I may be wrong on how they work or interact......but I do know there are only TWO Boards in the Progressive.

SO, the "reluctant" click is probably the Progressive.

Good Luck.  Let us know what you find out.

The PI EMS-HW-50C has a select-able jumper which controls the amount of delay before the relay clicks in. One position is set for 15 seconds the other position is set for 136 seconds.

When I turn on the power to my coach, 15 seconds later I hear the PI relay click in but I never hear the Surge Guard Model 41260 click as it is pretty quite. That Surge Guard has built-in delays when switching between shore power and generator power and back to shore power.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, 63Hotrod said:

Solved

loose connections in the surge guard. We check the ATS yearly for loose connections but had not opened the PD unit since it was installed. So added it to the PM list

In conversations with the ESCO (Lyght) Support, using Loctite Green and using a large palm filling screwdriver with a few wraps of a shop towel and using your nn dominant hand to push down on the handle to keep the blade engaged and then applying as much torque as an average Male can do will get the recommended 35 - 45 inch pounds on the terminals.  

Then you will have a more reliable and robust connection.  FWIW. Some think that Loctite is permanent and balk at using it. The Green is rated and recommended and used FOR electrical connections where vibration is an issue.  In addition all it takes is a soldering iron or gun on the screw head for a fee seconds to break down the bond, I have removed high powered rifle scopes with the Loctite RED….strongest, so thinking that grinding off the head will be required is a myth. Green is the weakest…for electrical and Blue is medium.