Magnum Inverter dead in 2007 Monaco Camelot

Chris Leedle

Visiting my Daughter and Son in law for Christmas.   He set up a 50 amp circuit for us, unfortunately he only ran 3 wires and left neutral open.  This caused my Magnum inverter to quit working, along with my microwave.  I have learned a lot about how my RV uses ground amd neutral and now understand I had 240v put through these two devices.  Does anyone have Magnum ME2012 schematics?  Believe the AC board is damaged, schematics would help.

18 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Did you check the small push in circuit breaker on the side of the inverter?  

Most microwaves run on pass through from the inverter, so if the inverter circuit breaker is popped the microwave and a hand full of other outlets won't work.  

DITTO on the Breaker reset; and I would unplug and see how things are on just my Generator before I panic.   If your coach wiring does not have a problem, you should have gotten nothing if the Neutral pin was not set up and if he fed Ground to Neutral from his house main panel you should not have had a problem although the GFI may not have liked it and may have popped too.   All 50 amp outlets are basically 240 volt outlets and we just use one line or the other and the neutral but the ground line can figure in to the equation.  Most homes should be Ground bonded to Neutral at the main box (never at the sub panel but not fatal to you if they are, just bad if you have a grounding short.  Our coach should not be internally ground bonded,  so you should have gotten nothing if his Electrician did not run neutral to the center pin, but strange things can happen.     Any way lots of things to go wrong there.  Hope you did not suffer a hard lesson.  I will not plug in to any outlet without first hooking up our Progressive Industries EMS.  It reads voltage, polarity, ground, neutral and whatever.  It will not let me hook to anything bad, at least, not without warning me first.

Hope on just your generator with the reset on the Magnum and the reset on the GFI,  that you are ok.    Good luck

7 minutes ago, TomV48 said:

DITTO on the Breaker reset; and I would unplug and see how things are on just my Generator before I panic.   If your coach wiring does not have a problem, you should have gotten nothing if the Neutral pin was not set up and if he fed Ground to Neutral from his house main panel you should not have had a problem although the GFI may not have liked it and may have popped too.   All 50 amp outlets are basically 240 volt outlets and we just use one line or the other and the neutral but the ground line can figure in to the equation.  Most homes should be Ground bonded to Neutral at the main box (never at the sub panel but not fatal to you if they are, just bad if you have a grounding short.  Our coach should not be internally ground bonded,  so you should have gotten nothing if his Electrician did not run neutral to the center pin, but strange things can happen.     Any way lots of things to go wrong there.  Hope you did not suffer a hard lesson.  I will not plug in to any outlet without first hooking up our Progressive Industries EMS.  It reads voltage, polarity, ground, neutral and whatever.  It will not let me hook to anything bad, at least, not without warning me first.

Hope on just your generator with the reset on the Magnum and the reset on the GFI,  that you are ok.    Good luck

AND HEY   Please be sure to let us know how things turn out.   Otherwise   Happy New Year   Tom

Edited by TomV48
  • Like 1

All the breakers are fine, in the coach and on the inverter.  When power was applied, came on for about 15 seconds, then everything through the inverter went dead.  At this time you could smell electrical burning.  Inverter reset did not help.  Had to bypass inverter to Power up my fridge and outlets. Not working on the microwave yet.  Pulled the inverter and see nothing obvious. Can trace some of the circuit,  but really could use a set of schematics.  Don't really want to purchase a new one.  Thanks for all the input and support.

TRY this site for information    They seem to be at the heart of MAGNUM parts and repair although no one jumps out and offers the schematics.

https://www.zonnaenergy.com/parts/me2012-g-inverter-charger/

Edited by TomV48

There is NOTHING to replace on the Board.  You buy a NEW BOARD.  Now, at the age of your inverter and it is a Modified Sine Wave, younmight want to do an analysis of the cost, assuming you plan to do it, of replacing the board.  Then there are sensors and fans and some other components.  If you are going to invest that much money, then new fans and sensors would, IT I WERE DOING IT, a MUST DO.  Otherwise, you run the risk of a failure.  They basically redommend, of you are doing it yourself, replacing everything inside that is a “component” such as the pin Circuit Breakers.  The only thing you keep is the terminal strips,

They say that for even their lowest cost authorized service centers, it will be a major expenditure and recommend replacement.

Odds are, the first thing you fried is the Internal ATS.  That is not a component that they sell.  It is part of the board.

Bottom line, it’ probably, as you suspect, toast.

I do NOT know if there is a third party like DINO or Flight Services that will or can rebuild a Magnum board where you swap in a “core” and they then can refurbish.

Many folks have gone down this path.  Most take the easy route….buy a new one and pop it in themselves.  

Control Board for Magnum MS2012 Inverter TCB-MS2012

That is what you want.  BUT, there is also a REV Level on the board.  There were probably, I was told, 10 revisions.  You can find these for maybe $400. BUT, since you gave it a little too much juice, you will also need the Power Supply board or the FET board…"that is NOT” the same as the main board.  Those are in the $300 range.  OK add in the fans and the circuit breakers.  You also have to be careful.  There are several versions of the board…depending on the year.  You have to match the new board with the capacity or CB of the old.  You can probably upgrade to the 30A in and dual 20A out…but you need to make sure that you install the proper CB.

The most reliable way is to get the correct board number for yours from magnum…

Wish i had a better answer on whether you can find a schematic or not…but at the very least, you need to be able to trouble shoot and test the FET PS Board…may only be one?  May be that it took the hit?  But, overall, how much time and $$ do you want to sink into a 16 YO inverter with an advertised life of 10 - 12 years??

get the coats.  Talk to the certified dealer that does the rebuilds.  What does he replace?

Tom,  I always trust your responses and was getting to the same decision myself.   We were able to get it back working in inverter mode, but charging is not working so it looks like it's time to purchase a new ME2012.  I want to thank everyone for thier support.   Have a Happy New Year.

38 minutes ago, Chris Leedle said:

Tom,  I always trust your responses and was getting to the same decision myself.   We were able to get it back working in inverter mode, but charging is not working so it looks like it's time to purchase a new ME2012.  I want to thank everyone for thier support.   Have a Happy New Year.

Try the HARD REBOOT.  But wait almost an hour before you power it back on as in…push the butron.  Folks have had to do that twice.  But many have 2 or 3 years, and like a Timex Watch…it took a beatin’ and still kept a tickin’.

I’m just as frugal as Scrooge, but when mine dies….new.  Look at the price differential of the MS vs ME.  Your appliances will thank you….LOL.  

BTW….FWIW.  The remotes make the inverter work…so the higher rev level you have, the better.  My 2009 remote died….and it drove the poor inverter crazy.  New one….great with MORE features…like buying a new car and putting on a set of old tires…

Tom, You are correct,  the newest remote has a lot more options.   My Son in Law has a Buisness account with a distributor here in Portland so I was able to pick up a new ME2012 for $1,100. Mine had a lot of good years as it was built in '06, so I guess I can't complain.  I learned a lot more about how the Camelot is wired up and the path all the AC power takes in it.  Costly lesson, but I will remember it.

On 12/26/2023 at 3:31 PM, Chris Leedle said:

Visiting my Daughter and Son in law for Christmas.   He set up a 50 amp circuit for us, unfortunately he only ran 3 wires and left neutral open.  This caused my Magnum inverter to quit working, along with my microwave.  I have learned a lot about how my RV uses ground amd neutral and now understand I had 240v put through these two devices.  Does anyone have Magnum ME2012 schematics?  Believe the AC board is damaged, schematics would help.

i think i can help here

BIRD intellitec.pdf Magnum Energy AGS (ME-AGS).pdf Magnum Energy purchase page 2.pdf Magnum Energy purchase page 3.pdf Magnum Energy purchase.pdf Magnum Energy YouTube repair video link.docx Magnum Inverter and Remote.pdf Magnum Inverter Compartment Cooling fan.pdf Magnum Inverter Compartment Fan.pdf magnum Inverter manual.pdf Magnum inverter pure sine wave.pdf Magnum inverter with notes.pdf Magnum ME2012 Inverter.pdf Magnum Pure Sine Wave Manual (64-0007 12-04).pdf Magnum Remote Control (ME-RC).pdf Magnum spec sheet.pdf ME RC50 Magnum Inverter Remote.pdf Tranfer Panel.pdf

Hope this helps any and everyone with a Magnum Inverter charger

• Confused 1

On 12/26/2023 at 4:33 PM, Chris Leedle said:

All the breakers are fine, in the coach and on the inverter.  When power was applied, came on for about 15 seconds, then everything through the inverter went dead.  At this time you could smell electrical burning.  Inverter reset did not help.  Had to bypass inverter to Power up my fridge and outlets. Not working on the microwave yet.  Pulled the inverter and see nothing obvious. Can trace some of the circuit,  but really could use a set of schematics.  Don't really want to purchase a new one.  Thanks for all the input and support.

Did that include checking the reset on the GFI?  Mine in on the outlet in the bathroom though I hear it varies widely.