LP leaks when filling

It is 32 degrees in Kansas and went to fill the propane tank on our 2000 Diplomat. The hose that goes from the filler connector to the tank was leaking and could not fill tank. Have about half a tank of propane and it is not leaking, appears it leaks only when attempting to fill. I suspect the filler hose has a check valve that may be frozen. Anyone have experience with this condition? Is this a special order hose and fittings?

yes had the same thing happen to me the hose dry rots and when they put the pressure on it to fill it leaks through a thousand pen holesI went to the hose man and had a new one made ther should be a valve on the tank that you can shout it off and remove the old hose and take it with you

• Like 1

I have filled RV LPG tanks while workamping and I have never encountered any tank that had a filler hose. All of the tanks I have filled had a fitting where the fixture on the end of the pump hose would attach directly to the tank.

Do you have a photo of your filler hose setup?

• Like 2

Maybe the tank they had would not accommodate a fill fitting or maybe it is over engineered. Propane dealer looked at it and walk me through the repair, they could not do it. Seems simple, remove the hose, have a new hose made, install using original fittings. Will tackle project tomorrow while my diesel shop replaces the emergency brake valve. Cold weather is not good for RV's. I promised the Diplomat, if nothing else goes wrong, we will put it in warmer climates, my bones like that idea too.

• Haha 1

I had this same thing happen on my previous Motorhome. I went to have it filled and it poured out from underneath, scared the crap out of me. 
I was very lucky there wasn’t a spark or something to ignite it. I disconnected the old hose and took it to a shop that made hydraulic hoses and they made me a brand new hose with the correct ends matching the old hose. From what I remember it wasn’t to expensive.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Wonder why they put the fill fitting at that location when the tank is so close. Any ideas?

Some of the smaller entry level coachs, like mine, have their propane tanks running parallel to the driveline.  So about 4' to the regulator from the hatch.  Interestingly, Monaco used the same threaded handhole fitting as beneath the dump outlet to install in the back wall of the storage area in front of the tank manual guage. You unscrew the handhole, and visually check the gauge level.

• Thanks 2

On 12/27/2023 at 5:32 PM, pulsarjab said:

Maybe the tank they had would not accommodate a fill fitting or maybe it is over engineered. Propane dealer looked at it and walk me through the repair, they could not do it. Seems simple, remove the hose, have a new hose made, install using original fittings. Will tackle project tomorrow while my diesel shop replaces the emergency brake valve. Cold weather is not good for RV's. I promised the Diplomat, if nothing else goes wrong, we will put it in warmer climates, my bones like that idea too.

Your spot in warmer weather is here. Not  so warm right now but much better than Kansas cold.