Chassis/Powertrain Inspection Central FL

Well we're on-the-way-back.  Coachless at present but will be looking at a few early 2000s Monacos in central FL this month.  Main concern is getting chassis & powertrain inspected.  Recommendations of mobile inspectors in this area will be appreciated.

... Rick P

I would contact Josam's in Orlando to see if they would do a chassis inspection. They will not do anything with the power train. You would have to use a place like Cummins or someone else that is familiar with a Cummins engine and Allison transmission.

Otherwise, you can try the NRVIA for certified inspectors.

It's going to be extremely difficult to find an RV inspector familiar with large Monaco diesel coaches.  There is a national training center for RV inspectors but 99% of the training is for trailers.  

I think as a previous Monaco owner you're going to be more knowledgeable than most inspectors.  

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 5:11 PM, vito.a said:

It's going to be extremely difficult to find an RV inspector familiar with large Monaco diesel coaches.  There is a national training center for RV inspectors but 99% of the training is for trailers.  

I think as a previous Monaco owner you're going to be more knowledgeable than most inspectors.  

Sent you a PM.

I am located in Central Florida (Lakeland Area) and use a Mobile Mechanic that is Cummins Certified and has experience on Motor Coaches. I would use him to inspect the chassis and power train if I was in the market for another coach after my experience with him working on my coach. you can give me a call at 863-602-4685 if you choose to use his services. 

32 minutes ago, Rob M cKeown said:

I am located in Central Florida (Lakeland Area) and use a Mobile Mechanic that is Cummins Certified and has experience on Motor Coaches. I would use him to inspect the chassis and power train if I was in the market for another coach after my experience with him working on my coach. you can give me a call at 863-602-4685 if you choose to use his services. 

Thanks for the offer.  The Monacos I was considering in FL did not work out for various reasons.   Looking elsewhere now and as I locate a coach of interest I look for a mobile diesel mechanic in its area.

Back in TX now.  

When in AZ last month I hired a diesel truck mechanic to do an inspection of an early 2000s Monaco, Cummins ISM.  Short version of story... it failed, throwing engine codes and other problems.  Far away, I located another one, arranged for a different diesel mechanic to do an inspection, oil samples... etc. ... 2 days before the mechanic was to get there... seller told me coach was sold.

Now I came across another early 2000s Monaco.... far from me.  Like the ones above, it has the ISM 500 engine.  Big concern I have is there is an engine rebuild in its history,  about 8 years and 16000 miles ago.  Carfax shows little.  Like before, I plan to have a diesel mechanic inspect chassis/powertrain, etc and will get an oil sample analysis.  Is there anything else I should look for considering the engine history?

I would want to know the reason for rebuilding and its extend in case it effected or was caused by external parts that may need attention eventhough 16k miles later could indicate that it was done right if it passes the inspection. These engines should be pretty bulletproof if not messed with and maintained right.

As the search continues, I have been locating a few of that vintage with the Cummins ISX 525. 

I know about the (dreaded?) Cyl. #6 valve problem with the ISX 600 and 650s.  But how risky are the 525's for this and are there any things to look for or do about it, especially on coaches which already have 100k+ miles on them?

Edited by rpasetto

I have a 2003 Signature with the ISX 525 with 114,000 plus miles. The only engine issues I have had are 2 broken Exhaust Manifold bolts and an EGR Valve that failed. I have owned it since 2006 and have driven it 102,000 miles. According to the Cummins certified mechanic that helps me occasionally these engines will run many miles with very little problems. So far, he's right. We will be leaving in April for another 6-month trip of 9000 plus miles. The key to trouble free miles is staying on top of maintenance and not letting small problems develop into big ones.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 4:14 PM, rpasetto said:

Got the VIN# and got a Carfax which shows it has < 1000 miles in the last 6 years...

Owner said they were told it didnt need any oil change or maintenence all that time.  Another one bites the dust.

That is not ideal, but might be worth sending oil sample for analyses.   Annual change is for environmental issues causing oil degredation.   You never see a use by date on sealed oil.  If the old oil is still in it send a sample for analysis.  Amsoil was recommending running their oil indefinitely with their filtration system and oil analyses done at filter change intervals at one time.   The lab can tell you if there are issues. It is no guarantee that the oil went bad where the coach was stored, count it as a potential issue and verify if it is indeed one.