2001 Executive - Samsung RF197 Issues…. Luck of the Irish…HELP!

Flyinhy
Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

I do believe I have the worst luck known to man. I accepted a job and yesterday I started packing the motorhome.I cleaned the fridge out and when I started to restock the freezer with meat and veggies.....I noticed the water in the ice tray. I look up and the freezer is @ 42°. This fridge was in the motorhome when i bought it and its a samsung rf197 . Im guessing it was installed around 2017....about the same time the inverter was installed. I shut the power off to let it defrost then put some towels in the bottom to soak up any water. I let it sit for about 8 hours unplugged. I took it all apart this morning hoping & praying it was just the condenser fan motor.....nope. Bench tested that and sure enough, fan comes on just fine. Good thing is the top (fridge) works fine. It's the freezer that isn't cooling. I put it all back together and reset the computer. I'm gonna let it sit for a few hours before I go back out there......I'm hoping for the best but I'm almost certain the computer board has gone bad. Does anyone else have any insights on something I'm overlooking? 🤔 

I haven't seen any ice at all.....and the towel I put at the bottom didn't soak up any water overnight. It was dry as a bone when I took it apart. I haven't pulled the fridge all the way out to look at the back but I believe it's a separate problem from the freezing up scenario. I really hate to get a new one....and the only one I've seen that fits roughly the same is a fridgeadaire 1723. Thats roughly 1200 lost before i even get a paycheck.....I'm planning on leaving Tuesday and I'll figure out what I'm gonna do once I get to the rv park. 🤔  Always look on the bright side ......at least the top is working right? 

Update : 5:30 pm

I just reset the fridge and the temp in the freezer dropped 15° in about 20 minutes......all hope is not lost! 

I have wayyyy too many cool stickers on that fridge to give up ....😆 🤣 😂 

Edited by Flyinhy
Change in status

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2001 Executive - Samsung RF197 Issues…. Luck of the Irish…HELP!
7 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Send a PM to Dr4Film, Richard had the same fridge in his Windsor and had to do the modification to prevent the freezer from forming ice. 

@Dr4Film,

Richard,

can you chime in or PM or call Charles and work with him?  Most of us have the newer model. His phone number is in his profile.

Thanks…

EDIT,

Charles, I the newer model.  Mine acted up, NO COOLING, when I had it installed.  I have NO idea where you are nor the temperatures.  If this was an early install, you need to be aware that the roof vent needs to be pulled and stuffed with insulation.  You also need to insulate the vented or louvered rear, lower access door….as well as seal off the louvers, if any, in the sides of the frame.  The control circuitry will shut down.  These were ENERGY EFFICIENT.  They were never made to work in an unheated out building or a outside porch….some garages are too cold for them.

ONCE it gets into a “FUNK”, you MUST unplug it….hopefully correct the temp conditions…if the issue….   Wait at least 5 minutes….plug back in.  Mine worked for a few hours, then got unhappy. BUT, I was out and couldn’t seal and insulate. Worked great in the day time.

I did seal, thoroughly, the bottom and top covers (I do not a top vent).  Lowes sells high density polystyrene for use in garage doors.  Lots of cutting and fitting and I covered the entire back side with HVAC (Thick) foil tape.  I had a Samsung tech come out.  He said every fall, he gets calls.  Never a hiccup since then.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Tom I've been messing with this thing all day and I'm almost to the point of .....do I chance a repair, spend hundreds of dollars on parts and possibly lose 200 dollars worth of food or do I just bite the bullet and install a new fridge and be done with it? I think everyone knows the logical answer. The last manual I was studying today was published in 2008......so I'm guessing the old fridge has seen better days......I always appreciate everyone's imput....

Water build up is likely the result of the drain line freezing closed. There lots of folks on eBay selling drain clips to improve the heat transfer and eliminate water freezing in the drain.

YouTube has several videos on how and where to install the clip.

It’s also not uncommon for the Samsung computer to lockup when power is cycled so that MAY be a second unrelated issue. 

14 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

Tom I've been messing with this thing all day and I'm almost to the point of .....do I chance a repair, spend hundreds of dollars on parts and possibly lose 200 dollars worth of food or do I just bite the bullet and install a new fridge and be done with it? I think everyone knows the logical answer. The last manual I was studying today was published in 2008......so I'm guessing the old fridge has seen better days......I always appreciate everyone's imput....

You did not comment on the panels or the insulation that is required on the top vent and behind the refrigerator. IF ALL THAT IS IN PLACE....then. that eliminates ONE issue. However, if there is a simple fix, I personally would NOT pull it out.  These units may have had issues, but you issue seems common. I would read and look at the YouTube videos. 

You MAY be aware of this, but folks have done major damage to the MH by not having a lift truck or a bunch or strong folks inside and outside. We have had folks decide that pure muscle overcomes a simple solution and they have wedged the Res Refer and damaged seats and the dash. Mine could have been "WEDGED" in, but I chose to let a dealer install it.  I knew how but did not have a cadre of "muscles".  The simplest way is removal of a window....then a pallet or plywood on the forks and in and out.

The Video's show the issues.  I would invest in that before I went the other route. DID anything, other than the water buildup happen or were there temperature extremes. The NEED for a controlled environment does NOT jump out nor are you warned....but look at the manual. Mine crapped out at 27 Deg F in the early fall in the NC Mountains. It warmed up the third day.  ALL WAS WELL....and then I fixed the insulation issues and nary a problem since then.

You will also have to "REDESIGN", most likely the mounting system.  Be aware, you can't drill holes blindly in the cabinet.  There are coolant lines and heaters and circuits....

This is not a PLUG and PLAY swap, unless you put in another Samsung...and you are not inclined to do that.  

I pulled it out this morning , well.....out far enough to inspect the backing and the water line. It has been insulated. It was easier to pull out than I thought actually. I downloaded the repair manual from a post on irv2 and it's extremely informative. According to the manual it is experiencing some sort of sensor fault not letting the fan run. The temp on the readout at the top indicates -4° in the freezer and 38° in the fridge. That's the lowest temp I've seen since this started.  I'm leaving tomorrow for this new job and once I get there I'll go through all the sensors and hopefully it's not the main pcb board. The sensors are relatively cheap and I'm with you on replacing it altogether. I installed the washer/dryer by myself and it wasn't fun getting it through the door but I do seem to have plenty of room once the passenger seat is removed. I helped my brother replace his and it wasn't too bad. Of course you have to strip the fridge down to just the shell. 

2 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I pulled it out this morning , well.....out far enough to inspect the backing and the water line. It has been insulated. It was easier to pull out than I thought actually. I downloaded the repair manual from a post on irv2 and it's extremely informative. According to the manual it is experiencing some sort of sensor fault not letting the fan run. The temp on the readout at the top indicates -4° in the freezer and 38° in the fridge. That's the lowest temp I've seen since this started.  I'm leaving tomorrow for this new job and once I get there I'll go through all the sensors and hopefully it's not the main pcb board. The sensors are relatively cheap and I'm with you on replacing it altogether. I installed the washer/dryer by myself and it wasn't fun getting it through the door but I do seem to have plenty of room once the passenger seat is removed. I helped my brother replace his and it wasn't too bad. Of course you have to strip the fridge down to just the shell. 

I ASSUME that all is insulated and this was not an overnight phenomen....as in it GOT TOO COLD.

Good Luck...

• 2 weeks later...