Ceramic tile cracking

Go to solution Solved by DavidL,

When we purchased the coach last year it had one tile cracked and was slightly lifting up. It was in front of the half bathroom door, Now one of the adjacent tiles is cracking and the first tile seems to have lifted more. Any idea as to what could cause  this? My wife thinks that if the coach is not exactly level it will cause the tile to crack. 

Thoughts?

2009 Monaco Dynasty

• Solution

Level isn't the issue.  Twisted chassis can be.  That's where one leg is too high / low.  Out of level is when two legs are not at the right height.

Twisted chassis is a bigger stress on the RV for flooring and slides.

But, take the popped tile out and inspect the subfloor like fasthobie16 is suggesting.  If that looks clean, mold free and dry, then possibly chassis twist or something heavy walloped the top of the tile.

We have a 2008 Dynasty and have had tiles loosen or crack due to age, flexing and travel. We removed the loose ones, cleaned the subfloor by scraping off the old adhesive and also removed adhesive from the loose tiles. We then reset the tiles with appropriate flexible adhesive and used silicone grout in a caulking tube instead of regular powder grout mix. So far, it has held well.  We were lucky to have a bundle of new tiles in the closet to replace the cracked ones.

• Like 1

If one tile lifter and cracked, then another is lifting, I would strongly suggest you get to looking for a leak, starting with the toilet. With great care any tile not broken can be removed and reclaimed.  Been there, done that.

My 07 Dynasty came with 5 spare tiles, taped together and in the wardrobe closet.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Bill B,

you were fortunate to have 5 spare tiles. I have two and it looks like I'm going to have to replace 3.

Would you happen to know if the tile goes underneath the wall for the half bath? Or does it just butt up and covered with shoe molding? If it goes under the wall then mine is a major repair. That's one of the tiles that is lifted up and broken.

Thanks,

Jay

13 hours ago, JTerry said:

Bill B,

you were fortunate to have 5 spare tiles. I have two and it looks like I'm going to have to replace 3.

Would you happen to know if the tile goes underneath the wall for the half bath? Or does it just butt up and covered with shoe molding? If it goes under the wall then mine is a major repair. That's one of the tiles that is lifted up and broken.

Thanks,

Jay

That may be your best option when you replace it.