AC Gasket Replacement

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

Is there someone that has a 2009 Monaco Dynasty had experience replacing the AC gasket. I have looked at several videos and they show unbolting the AC from inside the coach. I don't see a way to get to mine from inside. Is it bolted down from the outside? I'm getting a leak around the front AC and suspect the gasket.

• Solution

You probably have a decorative cover over the AC unit in the front.  Look in you manual on how to change the AC filters.  Somehow the decorative cover has to fold down to give access to the AC filter.  The bolts that hold the AC unit are accessed by removing the filter.  4 bolts that will release the AC unit from the roof.

You also probably have AC condensate drains.  This requires 2 gaskets and my recommendation is to go ahead and replace the drain cups, they will be brittle and will probably break anyway. 

I have the same ceiling in my 2008 Dynasty. There are three bolts that you will find on the edge of that ceiling panel on the driver's side of the panel. Remove the two end ones and then the center one while holding the panel up. After the center bolt is removed, slowly drop the panel. It is hinged on the passenger side of the panel. It will hang there while you do the work. Over each of the two AC units, there is a mesh fabric panel that is removed by taking out the corner screws. You will then see the AC units.

The drain lines for these AC units run inside the ceiling and exit outside the RV. The rear of the two units on mine used to run toward the back, but I rerouted the drain hose to connect with the front unit, so both now drain to the front.

If you feel the gasket is leaking, first try to tighten the four AC corner bolts two turns. This will compress the gasket and may stop your leak. Look at the corners of the AC units. You will see a bolt in each corner These are the ones I am referring to. The gasket is a sponge rubber material that will compress to seal the gap.

Also, inspect the drain hoses to make sure condensate is not leaking from the hoses. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Over time the gaskets do compress.  My front AC started to leak when the coach was parked on a slope.  I tried tightening the bolt and it didn't solve the problem so I decided to replace the AC gaskets.  When I lifted the AC and flipped it over I was shocked at how the gasket was installed.  Must have been a hangover Monday for the installer as the alignment of the two gaskets was terrible.  In hard rains the water would go over the gasket.  No wonder i had a problem. 

Misaligned AC Gasket.jpg

• Like 1

Replace the OEM bolts bolts with 3 that are 1" to 1-1/2" longer Sooo much easier to access. 

There are 2 for the fold down ceiling panel in the bedroom.

The 4 bolts that secure the AC s to the roof should be torqued to 24-28 INCH POUNDS.

If greater, the gasket will become dysfunctional.

• Like 1

Doug and Nicki:

thanks for the info. One more question; how do you access the rear AC filter? There is a grill with wood trim around it. I can see the filter behind the grill. Does the wood trim snap in? I don't see any screws.

Thanks,

Jay

19 minutes ago, JTerry said:

Doug and Nicki:

thanks for the info. One more question; how do you access the rear AC filter? There is a grill with wood trim around it. I can see the filter behind the grill. Does the wood trim snap in? I don't see any screws.

Thanks,

Jay

Mine is hinged, I have to pull it down on one end.  It takes a little effort to get it to release the spring latches.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:50 PM, jacwjames said:

my recommendation is to go ahead and replace the drain cups

I have the same leak that Jay Terry has.  I've have my gasket in hand, but have no knowledge of Drain Cups, or where to get them.

1 hour ago, DBRV.0 said:

Got it; thanks!  Just did not know what to call them.  Since I had the gasket, I only needed the cups.  Found some:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384281741477

On mine I had two gaskets.  The first one is installed and where the drain tubes run on either side is cut so the tubes have room to run through and then the second gasket is installed.  You can see it in the picture I posted on the misaligned gaskets.

You will have to disconnect all the wiring on the AC to be able to install new gaskets.  Take pictures and mark all the wiring. 

Also, the AC is connected to the duct work with a slip joint ( look at previous picture I posted).  Depends on how yours was attached but on mine the slip joint was attached to the duct with sealing type tape.  The only real way to get to it is to cut a large enough hole in the duct from the bottom to provide access.  Then after AC is installed seal up the cutout portions. 

At some point someone prior to me had removed the rear AC, pulling the sealing tape loose and then when it was reinstalled it wasn't sealed correctly and as a result I was loosing a lot of conditioned air that just went back into the AC return circuit and it also partially collapsed the duct work.  Not the best of design. 

When I decided to replace both my AC's I took the time to inspect my duct work. I used a bore scope type camera and used flexible pole to move it front to back inspecting the entire length of the duct work.  Glad I did, found several mouse holes and there was one duct joint that did not have any seal tape on it, ~1/2" wide see picture.  No telling how much conditioned air I was loosing.  At both ends of the duct work I had mouse holes cut the ducting extended past the last duct on each end.  I cut a foam block to fit with one edge cut at a ~45 degree angle and placed it right at the duct so the air would be directed down through the duct.  Used the foil type tape to seal it.  The largest mouse hole was right next to a light, when I removed the light it gave me enough room to seal the hole.  The joint was a challenge, it was not close enough to reach.  I ended up cutting a new duct hole at that location, sealing up the joint and then adding a new duct.  The picture is after I cut a hole for a new duct and before I sealed the gap.

Duct Gap.jpg

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

I replaced one of our heat pump units 4 years ago and all four bolts went in from the top and were accessible from within the air conditioning unit once the cover was removed.

@Kenster What brand of Heat Pump are we talking about?

Edited by Dr4Film