1999 Windsor. Brake Light Deactivation question & TOAD Brakes....Comments?

I would like to know if any one has disconnected the brake lights from the exhaust brake on our 99 windsor when the floor switch is used for the exhaust break it also activates the brske lights which activates the brake ststem on the toad I would like to eliminate this as I dont want the toad brakes activating when using the exhaust brake only when actually using the brakes so far I havent looked into the exhaust brake switch to see if I can figure out which wire to disconnect of cut off was wondering if anyone had some info on this ir what they did to address this issue thanks oilcan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oilcan said:

I would like to know if any one has disconnected the brake lights from the exhaust brake on our 99 windsor when the floor switch is used for the exhaust break it also activates the brske lights which activates the brake ststem on the toad I would like to eliminate this as I dont want the toad brakes activating when using the exhaust brake only when actually using the brakes so far I havent looked into the exhaust brake switch to see if I can figure out which wire to disconnect of cut off was wondering if anyone had some info on this ir what they did to address this issue thanks oilcan

William,

When the exhaust brake engages, so must your toad brakes engage to prevent extreme pressure on your towbar.  Exhaust braking produces the same action as your friction brakes.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CAT Stephen said:

William,

When the exhaust brake engages, so must your toad brakes engage to prevent extreme pressure on your towbar.  Exhaust braking produces the same action as your friction brakes.

I would not want that to burn my toad brakes on a long descent while running with engine brake. Air operated toad brake systems don't do it either. Not everyone has the engine brake programmed to activate brake lights. 

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 1999 Windsor. Break Light Deactivation question....Comments?

Generic question.  BUT, a little more information is needed. First...the Monaco Exhaust Brake and Service Brake signals are a nightmare, at least to those of us that have tried to help other members. On the later (2005's or maybe earlier) models the Service Brake Signal for the Brake Lights is a Negative Switched signal. You need to tap or find out how the Foot Switch is wired as well as the Service Brakes.

You probably KNOW this or can get it from your prints.  I would drive the MH with someone following me.  Then I would use cells and run some experiments..

Service Brake..  SHOULD, in most cases, ONLY LIGHT UP THE Brake Lights.....  Depending on how Monaco wired it or their "LOGIC", the Cyclops or LiddyLight or CENTER Brake light MAY or MAY NOT come on.  BUT, you need to know exactly WHAT is lighted or activated on the rear.

NOW...  NO SERVICE BRAKE..  Engage the Exhaust Brake. Since you have a "FOOT SWITCH", make sure you fully understand how it is activated or deactivated.

OK....EXHAUST BRAKE ENGAGED...  Apply the Service Brakes.  THEN what is lighted.

The PROPER (according to all the folks that MAKE TOAD BRAKES is for ONLY the Foot Switch to activate the TOAD BRAKING CONTROLLER

Then that depends on HOW or WHICH Brand or who made the Tow Brake and controller. MOST were wired the same as using a TRAILER BRAKE Controller.  You had ONE signal...the SERVICE Brake signal....and it had to BE a POSITIVE 12 VDC.  Again, Monaco never had one.....they figured out how to get one later on with a Relay.  SO, you have to have a SEPARATE relay...and the NEGATIVE side of the COIL gets it circuit when you depress the service brake. THEN the Relay sends a POSTIVE 12 VDC to the Controller.  That in turn, then activates the CONTROLLER and it sends the appropriate signal to the TOAD. 

Many of the TOAD Braking systems were "Inertia Switches" and NOT connected.  US Gear Universal Tow Break was a great system...not in production...but it worked slick. Roadmaster has a "Proprtional" Controller now that works the same.

SO...  If you can provide more info with the above, then the answer becomes easy.

NO EXHAUST SIGNAL should activate the TOAD brakes.... ONLY the actual foot or service Brake..

That's my understanding...

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 1999 Windsor. Brake Light Deactivation question & TOAD Brakes....Comments?

On my previous Windsor, the service brakes light up the rear brake lights. Plus the PacBrake PRXB Exhaust Brake lights up the rear brake lights. However, when towing a trailer, the only time the trailer brakes are activated is when the service brakes are applied. The trailer brakes are not activated when the Exhaust Brake is being used.

I have not towed a trailer with my Dynasty. I have towed my Saturn Vue a number of times but I use the RVIBrake 3 toad braking system which is NOT connected to any lights at all.

12 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

On my previous Windsor, the service brakes light up the rear brake lights. Plus the PacBrake PRXB Exhaust Brake lights up the rear brake lights. However, when towing a trailer, the only time the trailer brakes are activated is when the service brakes are applied. The trailer brakes are not activated when the Exhaust Brake is being used.

I have not towed a trailer with my Dynasty. I have towed my Saturn Vue a number of times but I use the RVIBrake 3 toad braking system which is NOT connected to any lights at all.

Although this is a repeat.....your Windsor was correct. When Monaco revised the MH and standardized circa 2005 and included "REAR BRAKE PREWIRED" the up front harness had 5 pins.  ONE of them, perhaps the MOST important, was a SINGLE PEDAL ACTIVATED 12 VDC Signal.  That is what a Trailer Control module or a TOAD Brake Module needs... and MUST NOT be activated in any shape form or fashion by the EXHAUST Brake signal.

Thanks...