2006 Diplomat Engine Cooling Fan issues

Go to solution Solved by trstaska,

The engine cooling fan in my 06 Monaco Diplomat ISL400 is starting to is starting to show stress cracks after 155,000 miles. Can anyone help me with a vendor and part #? Vin #1RF434362037009, Engine#46479548. Also, The alternator froze up last fall and was replaced. It makes me think that maybe I should replace the air compressor before I'm stuck on the side of the Mass Pike again. Also, the Dash AC pump maybe? what do you think? I'm just trying to think or things that will get me stuck on the side of the road. Once is enough for the experience. The engine was completely rebuilt at Cummins Coach Care in Arizona 18,000 miles ago 

Try Source Engineering for the fan.  Phone: (458) 207-9442

The A/C compressors are from Sanden.  The model number will be on your build sheet.  When you replace it you will also need top replace the A/C dryer and have the R134 refrigerant serviced.  

Check you serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner pulley. 

Why did you have to have the engine rebuilt? 

Air compressor for brakes, air bags etc  last for hundreds of thousands of miles on semi trucks. You can look downstream from compressor in air line for oil  that might be coming from pump. If those lines are relatively dry then replacing the compressor is a judgment call. New manufacture compressors may not be of the quality and longevity of what you have. We see it all the time in heavy equipment. I do understand the idea of being proactive so it becomes difficult to know whether or not  to replace a component

.ac compressor if mine will be  a complete flush of all lines and evaporator ,condensorfollowerd by new dryer ,expansion valve vacuumed down overnight then prescribed amount of refrigerant and compressor oil. I think this is the only way to get all the longevity from the that is possible.it has worked well for me.

Edited by Jetjockey
  • Like 1

Engine-driven air compressor failure would mean the motorhome would have to be towed and out of commision sitting in a shop for a month or more, probably thousands of miles from home.  I saw a OEM/NOS for my model, listed on ebay in 2022 so I bought it and carry it as a spare when long-distance traveling. I think it was just under $400.  OEM is no longer obtainable at any price.  Chinese-made takes 3 weeks to ship from Guangzhou. Installing it requires pulling the front timing cover, removing the hydraulic pump, and more. Maybe I was hasty in buying the part.  Maybe a better plan would have been to identify the part and know where to get a replacement.  It was definitely an impulse-buy. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2006 Diplomat Engine Cooling Fan issues
  • Solution
21 hours ago, vito.a said:

Try Source Engineering for the fan.  Phone: (458) 207-9442

The A/C compressors are from Sanden.  The model number will be on your build sheet.  When you replace it you will also need top replace the A/C dryer and have the R134 refrigerant serviced.  

Check you serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner pulley. 

Why did you have to have the engine rebuilt? 

Thank You for the phone#. Regarding the engine rebuild. We had a small oil leak. It was determined it was the head gasket. They removed the head and determined that some of the sleeves were out of tolerance causing the gasket to fail. Cummins recommended that we have the engine rebuilt. We had a good extended service policy so I said go ahead. Nineteen days later, we had completely rebuilt engine including a new head and a new turbo. $30,000 cost us $2000. 

• Like 2