Rusty water

Bruce Hull

Do you see this when you drain the water heater or is it all the time.  Where do you normally use it?

If you use the coach in an area of heavy mineral content in the water it will precipitate out due to the heating.  In my case this is normally a whitish color but I'm sure in some areas it could be darker due to minerals. 

22 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Do you see this when you drain the water heater or is it all the time.  Where do you normally use it?

If you use the coach in an area of heavy mineral content in the water it will precipitate out due to the heating.  In my case this is normally a whitish color but I'm sure in some areas it could be darker due to minerals. 

Generically….3 causes of rusty colored water.

Iron scale buildup in the tank

Iron Bacteria

Groundwater leakage in the well casing.  The well casing is supposed to be around 5 - 10 feet (driven in) after the driller hits the bedrock or the rock layer.  Then they change bits and go to a smaller one….and keep drilling.

If you put on a high purity filter in the house or external filter, you will filter out more sediment and such…but have a larger pressure drop.

if you google Iron Bacteria well Michigan, there is a good writeup.  It is usualyy accompanied by a slimy film.  No slime, not Iron bacteria.

I’d pu on a new filter and see if it improves.  If not, maybe treat the tank.  Chemicals on Amazon to remove sediment from tank.  Plain and simple draining may also help.

I can’t speak specifically to your exact coach, but Monaco mostly used Atwood water heaters, which have an aluminum tank.  IF you have a separate water heater and it’s original to the coach, it likely needs flushing and a new filter per Tom’s comments. 

If your hot water is provided by an Aquahot, others will have to help you out there. 😁

• 1 month later...

Dealing with rusty water can be a hassle, but it sounds like you've got a solid plan in place with flushing and a robust filter system. Taking proactive steps like this not only ensures cleaner water but also helps mitigate potential risks, including Legionella. Keep up the good work!

On 4/4/2024 at 2:55 AM, MelaniePatel said:

Dealing with rusty water can be a hassle, but it sounds like you've got a solid plan in place with flushing and a robust filter system. Taking proactive steps like this not only ensures cleaner water but also helps mitigate potential risks, including Legionella. Keep up the good work!

If you haven't already, considering incorporating Legionella risk assessments into your water management routine can offer added peace of mind.