Thinking of updating Tail lights

I replaced mine about 5 years ago as two of them cracked. I went with regular light bulbs instead of LEDs. Both the clear squares that were for backup lights on the Blazer were red on my lights so I painted the clear spots red on the replacements.

@Rob Monda I got the same ipcw tails on our dynasty.  Is yours the same where the brake and turn signal brightness differential between the normal running lights and brake lights is very minimal ? It is hard to tell when the brakes or turn signals are flashing when the normal running\head  lights are on with ours.  I'm trying to figure out if my wiring was plugged in backwards or something.  

On 3/23/2024 at 6:53 AM, Rob Monda said:

The white section of my back up lights were there as they are on Ford vans. The lights on my bumper light up with the landing light switch on the dashboard. The back up lights are in the tail lights as they were from the factory  and work. The hookup was basically you use the original harness. The back up lights were reused and just mount in the new tail lights. The tail light harness plugs in to one of the existing bulb sockets. They are a lot sharper,brighter and work with no hyper flash. I am very happy with them

tl1.jpg

tl2.jpg

tl3.jpg

20231221_131704.jpg

With LEDs it is harder to see the difference in brightness during the day. I found the same thing when I upgraded headlights and fog lights to LED. The LED head lights and fog lights are a lot brighter at night. I know there is a noticeable difference with the tail lights at night. I had gotten a blowout and was stuck on an interstate in Connecticut for 12 hours and decided I needed brighter tail lights after watching all the road warriors blasting by at 90+ for several hours

• Like 1

When I replaced my tailights with the Chevy pickup lights about 8 or 10 years ago I bought a paint spray can that was made for the purpose of staining the white or clear lens red . I bought it at an auto parts store, and you could not see any difference between the factory red or spray can red .  Unfortunately I don't remember where I purchased it.

Will Bronger

• 3 weeks later...

Update with more questions!

I finally had time for the install so I brought the coach home and went to removing all the old lights.  Was glad I did as the insides were worse than the red lenses:image.thumb.jpeg.6d8b422ae53fc16105e5d68d09836aec.jpeg

We ordered the updated looking Chevy tail lights and got some Red 1157 bulbs.  Very happy with the way they look on the coach!

image.thumb.jpeg.2b623a16152ec09fc31103b71822ed38.jpeg

Now for the problems!

First, here is info for anyone looking to do this change like this.  First, where you see the red 1157 bulb in the original reverse light section, those bulb sockets did not want to fit.  I found that they are shaped differently and have a slightly different pattern.  My suspicion is that the 1156 bulb socket is slightly different.  I was able to take a file to the new light socket holes and smooth the rough edges.  From there the red 1157 bulb socket would squeeze in.  However, it is very tight.  Also, if you have the original bulb sockets, I would advise replacing all 8 of them (2 each light).  They have a rubber seal and mine were in really bad shape.

Also, on these particular lights, if you look at the top right corner next to the red brake light, that screw is extremely hard to tighten because the red lens protrudes in the way of any type of screwdriver.  I even tried one with a flexible extension and still could not get them all the way tight because of the awkward angle.  If the red part of the lens came off, it would make it easy but I pushed pulled and twisted all 4 trying to no avail.  Anyone know if I am missing something here?  This design can't be that far off.

Once I did get everything installed, then I came up with lots more questions.

First, I know that the bottom lights (where the new red 1157 bulbs are installed) used to work as I had a bulb that I could not get to light up last year.  Upon inspection I noticed the 1157 bulb would not get tight into the socket.  If you pushed on it, it would light up, but would stop when I let go.  For this, I installed a replacement socket and it worked fine.  Now after installing the new lights, none of the bottom bulbs now work for the brake light, or turn signals.  Not even the one I replaced last year.  They do come on with the running lights, but that is it.  I checked in the fuse area under drivers seat and found a fuse, but it was good.  Is there a relay for those?  If so, where would it be located.  Any other possibilities as to why the lower lights don't work?  At least this is the red 1157 bulbs that is not working.  In case you don't know, this is a 97 Dynasty.

Lastly, I also noticed that on some of the bulbs, the longer brighter part of the bulb filament would light up where on others, it was the smaller filament.  Noticed it on one light bulb on each side.  At least I think at this point because the brake & turn signals are not working on the red 1157 bulbs.  Could this be a wiring error by Monaco?  Would switching the wires on the bulb socket fix this problem??

Thanks for reading and love to hear any advice or suggestions.  Hate to do a simple job half way...

Warren

Any help would be 

Les;

What replacement are you referring to?  The stock tail light lenses are no longer available with the red section where the reverse lights are on the Chevy trucks.

Warren

8thDegree,

You may have already discovered this, but be aware that the 1157 bulb is a two filament bulb and it's not interchangeable with the 1156 bulb. That is why they don't fit well and why you're getting one filament or the other lighting up. If you look at the end of the 1156 bulb, it has one point electrical connection. The 1157 bulb will have two and has a casing with nubs that restrict how it is inserted into the socket. 

Look into the socket and you should clearly see one electrical connection or two electrical connections in the base of the socket.

Denis;

I have learned that the Dynasty's from the late 90s used the Chevy truck tail lights from the 70s and 80s.  What Monaco changed was that the Chevy version had a reverse light that uses a 1156 bulb with a 2 wire socket.  My stock tail light setup, my coach had the 3 wire, 1157 bulb and socket on both holes of the mounting plate in all 4 of the tail lights (4 1157 bulbs and sockets on EACH side of the coach).  It was when installing the new updated Chevy tail light base plates that I noticed the differences in the holes.  I was able to get them to fit, but now all my lower lights do not work with the brake and turn signals.

Would you happen to know if there is a relay that controls those bulbs?  If so, where should I look for it??

As I also noted, different filaments are being lit on different bulbs.  For instance, when I turn on the running lights, most bulbs lit with the smaller filament that is not as bright.  However, one bulb on each side lights with the larger brighter filament for this.  Same thing on the 4 bulbs working now with turn signals and brake lights.  2 bulbs are using smaller filaments for these functions.  I only noticed this with the new tail light lenses as they are much easier to see thru than the old ones.

I have only replaced 1 light socket and I matched the colors of the 3 wires and it worked perfectly with brake, turn and running lights last year when I replaced it.  However, it now only shows up with running lights.  I am fairly sure that they are wired as original from factory.  Don't see any splices or changes at least where it is visible.

Thanks for your help and would love any advice on where to look for what controls the brake light and turn signal signals with the lower set of 1157 bulbs on each tail light.

Warren

8 minutes ago, 8thDegree said:

Denis;

I have learned that the Dynasty's from the late 90s used the Chevy truck tail lights from the 70s and 80s.  What Monaco changed was that the Chevy version had a reverse light that uses a 1156 bulb with a 2 wire socket.  My stock tail light setup, my coach had the 3 wire, 1157 bulb and socket on both holes of the mounting plate in all 4 of the tail lights (4 1157 bulbs and sockets on EACH side of the coach).  It was when installing the new updated Chevy tail light base plates that I noticed the differences in the holes.  I was able to get them to fit, but now all my lower lights do not work with the brake and turn signals.

Would you happen to know if there is a relay that controls those bulbs?  If so, where should I look for it??

As I also noted, different filaments are being lit on different bulbs.  For instance, when I turn on the running lights, most bulbs lit with the smaller filament that is not as bright.  However, one bulb on each side lights with the larger brighter filament for this.  Same thing on the 4 bulbs working now with turn signals and brake lights.  2 bulbs are using smaller filaments for these functions.  I only noticed this with the new tail light lenses as they are much easier to see thru than the old ones.

I have only replaced 1 light socket and I matched the colors of the 3 wires and it worked perfectly with brake, turn and running lights last year when I replaced it.  However, it now only shows up with running lights.  I am fairly sure that they are wired as original from factory.  Don't see any splices or changes at least where it is visible.

Thanks for your help and would love any advice on where to look for what controls the brake light and turn signal signals with the lower set of 1157 bulbs on each tail light.

Warren

I'm assuming you've tried spinning the bulb 180 degrees in the socket? i had an issue with a jeep with the same bulb, the wrong filament turned on and it was sensitive to how the bulb was inserted into the socket.

Daniel;

I did not think to check that, but will do.

There are little pins on each side of the 1157 bulb and they will fit, but can only be rotated to the lock position one way because one is higher up on the bulb than the other.  Here is a picture:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMnQJi6Ucb8_baXZmXoAHmJ_nZCNdYem3lmNL1CUGxu4tfaKx7TzThxyZkB1Jf5LwDuU6HuLOSGZoZSLb8NSWvO4Qn1Pw_fHHUVS5qKaOC9MTlNGM5mhE2inQPiFSLtZDYkGUSaok7&usqp=CAc

My first car had these bulbs and I learned about them from my dad.  But please let me know if they can be forced in either way!!

Warren

26 minutes ago, 8thDegree said:

Daniel;

I did not think to check that, but will do.

There are little pins on each side of the 1157 bulb and they will fit, but can only be rotated to the lock position one way because one is higher up on the bulb than the other.  Here is a picture:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMnQJi6Ucb8_baXZmXoAHmJ_nZCNdYem3lmNL1CUGxu4tfaKx7TzThxyZkB1Jf5LwDuU6HuLOSGZoZSLb8NSWvO4Qn1Pw_fHHUVS5qKaOC9MTlNGM5mhE2inQPiFSLtZDYkGUSaok7&usqp=CAc

My first car had these bulbs and I learned about them from my dad.  But please let me know if they can be forced in either way!!

Warren

OK MY GOD.  I feel ancient...  I think some of the bulbs on my Daddy's 48 Fleetline were soldered in...  Seriously, the new bulbs that snap in are the "weird" ones for me...as I must have changed a hundred of the "antigues" that you posted.

Take that as a humorous observation...  NO...my first car did NOT have a buggy whip holder...but I drove my Cousin's 51 Fleetline and it had NO TURN SIGNALS...you used your left arm...

LOL TIMES 2

• Haha 2

8thdegree Warren, 

Sounds like you understand the dual filament and the difference in bulbs. Typically the bulbs will only go in and turn the lock if they are incorrectly; if they are hard to turn, pull them out, rotate them 180° and try again.

You might swap two bulbs that are behaving differently and see if the difference follows the bulb or stays with the socket.

Reference;.

"Would you happen to know if there is a relay that controls those bulbs? If so, where should I look for it??"

I have a 2005 Windsor and I believe the relays are in in the driver side front run bay under the driver's window. Not sure where you might find yours.

Sorry, I can't help anymore! I