Thinking of updating Tail lights

I have a 1997 Dynasty and the tail lights are starting to crack pretty badly around the screw holes in the housing.  I spent some time looking around and understand that these were the Chevy Pickup and Blazer lights from the 70s and 80s and can easily be found.  The problem is that the original Monaco lights have a red insert where the ones online are using this area as the reverse lights.  My coach has the reverse lights down lower on the coach and the bulb socket for this spot is wired for the running, brake and turn signals.  Here is what the Chevy lights available for purchase look like:

image.jpeg.a6b806c154e54dc093880e9b3115a5ef.jpeg

I am considering updating to something newer looking:

image.thumb.jpeg.8974afdf52162e05128de26befdf9d15.jpeg

I have tried researching this, but can't seem to find an answer to the question of is it legal to insert a red 1157 where the reverse bulb is suppose to be used?

Would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!!

Warren

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

Been down this road, search for my posts. I’ve tried all the ones you’ve mentioned and had to bite the bullet and get expensive ones 

IMG_0037.jpeg

Warren, let me know what you decide to get and how it works. I have an 01 Dynasty that looks like it has the same tail lights. If it’s reasonable, I wouldn’t mind replacing them.

Like Warren mine are cracking in the same area on my 2001. Mine look like JDCrow’s except the upper lense is amber. I’d like to replace the lower red set and is turn signal. Any idea what would be an appropriate replacement?

15 minutes ago, tomevansfl said:

Like Warren mine are cracking in the same area on my 2001. Mine look like JDCrow’s except the upper lense is amber. I’d like to replace the lower red set and is turn signal. Any idea what would be an appropriate replacement?

I don’t believe you’ll find the amber. Both these are Chevy taillights. I had to mod the fiberglass to get them in.

I tried the clear fancy, the broke. Tried the cheaper LED, they quit working. Now on the expensive LED and they are holding up.

IMG_9289.jpeg

IMG_9291.jpeg

IMG_9301.jpeg

IMG_9421.jpeg

0491E8A8-D773-483B-8473-E0B5CE033835.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

Everyone;

I am not sure you understand what I am referring to.  Here is an old picture of what my tail light setup looks like.  Notice, the tail lights do not have the white (reverse light) square in them as they are completely red.  The reverse lights can be seen on the bumper.

image.thumb.jpeg.e25d0e0ce09e235b50590965f843a86e.jpeg\\\

JDCrow; in doing my research I read thru your post about the quality of the tail lights.  My problem is that Monaco type replacements can't be sourced anymore and even the DOT approved Chevy replacements have the white "reverse" section in them.  

We also can't convert to LED lights as we still have the King Throttle Control system and it needs the signal from the brake lights to release the throttle control wire.

Hopefully this helps explain a bit better.

Does anyone have any info or where to find if a 1157 Red bulb could be used in the place of the "reverse" light section if we upgraded to a newer style tail light??

Thanks again!!

Warren

Yeah not sure on just the red, I did have reverse tails in mine. Your original pics showed the lights with the reverse lens so that’s where I went. I should have read further, .but being a dude, I’m visual and like pictures😜

I’m not up on your throttle thing, but these are plug and play into original sockets, (the expensive lights that is) so if you have signal at the socket, they will function. 

Good luck on your quest. 

Edited by JDCrow

Chargerman;

Thanks for the suggestion.

The reason I hesitate to use Amber is because they will go off when braking only.  It has been a while since I looked at them, but from my recollection they all light up under braking and they all flash when the turn signals are on.  There are 2 1157 bulbs in each tail light on each side, so 4 total on each side.  If I went with Amber on the one that is for the reverse light, the other one will also be lighting up when turn signal is engaged and would have amber and red flashing together.  I have never seen that before (and not sure it is even legal).

That is why I keep asking about a red 1157 bulb.  At least it would be closer to the other colors.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Warren

Go ahead and install the red 1157 bulb. As long as your brake lights illuminate in red, the setup is legal. It doesn't matter what color the assembly is when not illuminated.

Warren, I installed the taillights you are considering about 4 years ago. At the suggestion of friend I inverted the lens as shown in photo. No issues with LEO's in CA, OR, or AZ. 

Pat

Taillights.pdf

Remember folks.  We have had many threads or topics recently on replacing tail lights and headlights.  There are AFTERMARKET Taillights and AFTERMARKET DOT STAMPED AND CERTIFIED replacements.  The consensus is that purchasing the NON DOT APPROVED (NO DOT STAMP) Replacements are inferior in quality and fail within a year or two.

BUYER BE INFORMED…..BUYER BE FOR-WARNED.  Non DOT housings rarely have good UV resistancy  and appear to be poorer quality from fabrication and materials standpoint…

Do a search for more information.

On 3/7/2024 at 11:27 AM, 8thDegree said:

I have a 1997 Dynasty and the tail lights are starting to crack pretty badly around the screw holes in the housing.  I spent some time looking around and understand that these were the Chevy Pickup and Blazer lights from the 70s and 80s and can easily be found.  The problem is that the original Monaco lights have a red insert where the ones online are using this area as the reverse lights.  My coach has the reverse lights down lower on the coach and the bulb socket for this spot is wired for the running, brake and turn signals.  Here is what the Chevy lights available for purchase look like:

image.jpeg.a6b806c154e54dc093880e9b3115a5ef.jpeg

I am considering updating to something newer looking:

image.thumb.jpeg.8974afdf52162e05128de26befdf9d15.jpeg

I have tried researching this, but can't seem to find an answer to the question of is it legal to insert a red 1157 where the reverse bulb is suppose to be used?

Would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!!

Warren

Did you take the DOT or SAE # off the OEM lense and do a google search?

• Like 1

Warren, My source was this listing on Amazon https://a.co/d/0MzYNxV. Here is image from the listing showning DOT and SAE info. Also in the listing copy it says "

DOT (Department of Transportation) & SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Approved" 

Your decision if this satisfies the legal requirements. My coach is stored indoors and so therefore I cannot comment on UV properties. 

One comment on reviews it was mentioned by reviewer that they had seen same fixtures listed in a truck catalog at $129.00. 

Pat

image.png.2b40c34ee14120b584efb76445d7bab7.png

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone;

Sorry to take so long to get back.  Was on vacation last week, but when I got back read thru everyone's comments.

Before I left for vacation, made a few phone calls and emailed a person high up in the Dept of Public Safety here in Dallas.  Today he called me back today saying that he learned a lot from my email and had to find out the answer.  But, in this case because of the age of my Dynasty (1997) the state only requires an annual Safety inspection.  He said "The safety inspection does not inspect Reverse lights and the brake lights must show Red".  I asked him if it meant that I could insert a Red 1157 bulb and he again repeated the same thing and said that he could not tell me what to do.  From there I said ok, got it. 

I am not sure if different states have different rules, but that is what I was told here in Texas.  If you don't live in Texas, I would recommend you find out before doing what I am going to do.  Give me a few weeks to get everything and get it installed and I will put some pictures of the finished product.  My plan is to get some DOT approved tail lights (not sure which design or color yet) and put the Red 1157 in the area where the reverse light would go.

Anyhow, took the old Dynasty to get the fluid/filters changed today and after making an appt and showing up they told me that my coach was too old and they have a new company policy and won't work on anything over 25 years old anymore.  I was pretty pissed because I wasted a lot of my time but at least I did take a better picture of the brake lights and thought I would put it up to give you a better look at what I have trying to get info on.  If you look at the vertical ridge squares at the bottom of each light, that is where the "reverse" lights were used on the 70s - 80s Chevy trucks.  Monaco must have had a large batch made up where they substituted a red section where the white usually goes but after looking for several months I don't think you can find the fully red ones anymore.

IMG_1776.thumb.jpg.1c28a7e6cad1e34ae469ce34dee769dd.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who commented on my situation and hopefully they will look better soon!!

Warren

Pat;

Thanks for this.  We might be updating to something like the ones in my first post.  Found several versions that have DOT numbers but they offer them in slightly different colors like chrome, black or carbon fiber backgrounds.  Something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/AmeriLite-Black-Replacement-Lights-Housing/dp/B07TN2VPK4/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_1/136-5915358-4781706?pd_rd_w=kFYQX&content-id=amzn1.sym.1ad2066f-97d2-4731-9356-36b3edf1ae04&pf_rd_p=1ad2066f-97d2-4731-9356-36b3edf1ae04&pf_rd_r=HZYVRTCRZ3QN3WQEZHSQ&pd_rd_wg=Fbjtd&pd_rd_r=8aff0b78-0dcf-4a00-8a21-71a545092cde&pd_rd_i=B07TN2VPK4&th=1

Not sure exactly which way I will go but will figure it out with the wife.  She is the ARTIST of the family so will give me some good advice...

Warren

Taillights you show in last message are what I used on our 2000 Monaco Diplomat. Tried to send that info to you earlier and never saw it posted. Anyway here is photo of my rig with those installed.

Pat

IMG_4437.png

I had this issue with mine on my 06. Mine had 2 sets of Ford E series van taillights. I searched and upgraded to IPCW LEDs . I found them on Ebay. After searching different brands I bought the IPCW on Ebay for about $275 a set. I was looking at others on a Google search that were about double the price. I had to do a little modification but they are basically plug and play. You end up using the original back up bulb but the tail lights are LED. I am very happy with them and the look great. I also have no issues with Hyper Flashing which is something That I was concerned about.  If you zoom in on this pic you can see them

rv.jpg

Rob;

I see you have reverse lights in the bumper on your Dynasty as well.  It looks to me like you have the white reverse light section on the top and bottom of your tail lights.  You mention that you used the original back up bulb in that area.

Were your original set of tail lights red in that area?  Also, was the original bulb you put back in that section clear?

Does that white section light up when you hit the brakes or turn signal so you have a red and white light going off at the same time?

Can you provide a little more detail as I am thinking you had the same problem as I have...

Thanks!

Warren

Warren

Another way to deal with the white lens. 

Remove the bulb from the socket so it doesn't lite up.  The Red area is all the original Chevy trucks had.

You could put a GM original back up socket (Dorman 85827, Standard Motor Products S67) and a single filament 1156 bulb and parallel connect off the existing backup lights. 

The white section of my back up lights were there as they are on Ford vans. The lights on my bumper light up with the landing light switch on the dashboard. The back up lights are in the tail lights as they were from the factory  and work. The hookup was basically you use the original harness. The back up lights were reused and just mount in the new tail lights. The tail light harness plugs in to one of the existing bulb sockets. They are a lot sharper,brighter and work with no hyper flash. I am very happy with them

tl1.jpg

tl2.jpg

tl3.jpg

• Like 1