Old Air Drier Filter possibly 22yrs.old

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

I have finally gotten to a point where I was able to crawl under my coach(2002 Monaco Knight 34PBD) and remove the air drier filter and oh boy what a mess. Keep in mind the system has been working fine. Dumped air from both tanks with maybe a half of a teaspoon of water discharged. Judging from the pics am I in for further problems? This filter looks like it has never been changed but I can't imagine the po's letting it go that long. I have a new Wabco Coalescing filter. Can I just replace the filter or do you think a new drier is in order. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 20240321_212612.thumb.jpg.9d63092852a6f1ef4f7c02800f0bea70.jpg20240321_213205.thumb.jpg.15ffa3f63f512edfcac173cf3a66e29b.jpg20240321_212659.thumb.jpg.d97921493e4ef3c57c75da9a425b3051.jpg

• Solution

There is a tag on the dryer, you should be able to confirm make/model.  Just get one based on the numbers, they make after market but for this I'd stick with OEM.

Take lots of pictures, tag the hoses.  If a hose looks iffy I'd take the time to change. 

I take mine out every 5 years or so and rebuild it using the upper and lower parts kit. Even though I serviced it regularly, a rubber seal gave up and it leaked air. 

It’s not hard to get out. Most fittings are brass, you might spray the mounting bracket. 

I have both kits on my bench waiting for me to install. It actually might be easier to just buy a new air dryer every 10 years. 

Edited by dennis.mcdonaugh

If you do NOT DIY and pay a tech, it DEFINITELY is cheaper to buy a new one.  I had leaks in each side….not massive, but there.  I picked up the replacement and my OTR shop installed.

DIY & Rebuild once every 5 - 7 years….maybe replace then??  Really important thing is to bubble test the system and fix fittings and replace PPV.

MY OPINION….Others might differ….

10 minutes ago, Chuck H said:

Found the tag(4324130010)under who knows how many years of dirt. Am I to assume in order to find a real OEM drier I sould call Wabco?

You can get it lots of places.

This is is pricy, but do a search.

https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/815-4324710010.html

This is the cheapest one I saw that actually said Meritor or Wabco on it. Beware of cheap knockoffs.

https://www.finditparts.com/products/11914822/wabco-4324803417

Yes Ben that is the correct one. Thanks for the info. I'll start here in town at Peterbilt hopefully they'll have one. I'll keep in touch with my progress. Thanks to you all. Your wealth of knowledge is greatly appreciated. 

Tom, What do you mean by bubble test the system? I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, I know just enough to get me in trouble so please excuse my ignorance. 

Bubble test is basically using a spray bottle with soapy water, spray all the connections and watch for bubbles.  Chances are you'll find some.  A leak can occur over night. 

FWIW, in 2021 I checked my system before a long trip, no leaks and the air system would stay up for a week.  on the second day of my trip I noticed that my low air alarm went off when I turn the key.  ODD, hadn't done that before.  Next day did the same thing so I started monitoring and loss of air got progressively worse.  Finally took a spray bottle of soapy water and started checking and found that each of the PPV's were leaking.  PPV= Pressure Protection Valve, I had four of them.  I ended up cutting my trip short to repair.  Here's a fairly long thread on the repair, I went through the whole system.

Update: Found and ordered new drier from my local Freightliner dealer. Will be in tommorrow. Also at a great price $427.49. I will post how the replacement progresses. 

• Like 1

I had the same experience with my coach but not as bad as yours. I replaced my dryer also.  I would just make certain that the dryer is an OEM Wabco and not a china knock off.  I paid $600 a couple years ago, and the "generic" were 3-400 as I remember.  If you are paying that for the Wabco brand you are getting a good deal for sure. 

48 minutes ago, rustykramermetalfab said:

I had the same experience with my coach but not as bad as yours. I replaced my dryer also.  I would just make certain that the dryer is an OEM Wabco and not a china knock off.  I paid $600 a couple years ago, and the "generic" were 3-400 as I remember.  If you are paying that for the Wabco brand you are getting a good deal for sure. 

You can do better than that for a knockoff 😉!

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/wabco-meritor-style-air-dryer-ad-r955205-system-saver-1200/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5uLW7dGUhQMVBC6tBh0DBwEcEAQYASABEgIUkPD_BwE

Yeah I definitely don't want a cheap knockoff. When I talked to the parts guy at Freightliner I specified that I did not want an after market dryer that I wanted OEM. He said it was a Wabco so I guess we'll see what they come up with. How would I know for sure that it is not a knockoff?

I would think the little metal plate on the side where you got the model number from, wouldn't say Wabco on it.

I am running a US built 'knockoff', and most would be hard pressed to find a difference holding one in each hand.

It's been several years, but I'm pretty sure my new one doesn't say Wabco anywhere on it.

Yeah I definitely don't want a cheap knockoff. When I talked to the parts guy at Freightliner I specified that I did not want an after market dryer that I wanted OEM. He said it was a Wabco so I guess we'll see what they come up with. How would I know for sure that it is not a knockoff?

Have you had any issues with your US built dryer? I've been watching some of the comments on this forum and others that have said they haven't had any issues with knockoffs and some with replacing 2 or 3 aftermarket dryers and even some having issues with OEM dryers. I guess like with anything else we buy anything can happen. 

2 hours ago, Chuck H said:

Have you had any issues with your US built dryer? I've been watching some of the comments on this forum and others that have said they haven't had any issues with knockoffs and some with replacing 2 or 3 aftermarket dryers and even some having issues with OEM dryers. I guess like with anything else we buy anything can happen. 

No issues with the dryer itself, but the filter that came on it wasn't doing much drying right from the get-go!

I only use genuine Wabco filters on it now!

Ok thanks Ben! 

I just picked up the new Air Dryer from Freightliner. Identical tag and part number(see pics) and even came with a new filter so now I have an extra filter for the next change out. Will be replacing tomorrow morning.

20240327_154521.jpg

20240327_154330.jpg

• Like 3