I have a 2002 HR Endeavor that currently has the warning light on, and is in the shop. I checked all fluid levels prior to taking it in and they also verified.  I also have a scan gauge, and they checked as well, it is not throwing any codes.  It is at a diesel truck shop that I have been using for several years, honest people that I trust. I do NOT trust any of the local RV places they have proven themselves otherwise. We are not sure where to go from here. Any ideas since it isn’t throwing any codes? 

Mine came on shortly after I bought my motorhome 4 years ago. Diesel shop could not find any problem or codes. I can’t remember exactly what they said it might be, but they said they could find anything wrong. Have driven many miles in the 4 years since up mountains, down mountains and across the prairies without any problems. 

I don't know if low coolant will throw a code, but the sensor could be bad or poor connection.  It's on top of the coolant tank and can be checked with a volt meter (key on). 

I believe the transmission fluid level can trigger a warning light but maybe not a code.  EZ to check - Best to check the owners manual for this procedure but basically transmission warmed up, press up and down arrows (same time) on transmission pad and wait several minutes.  The selector will count down to zero and flash a low, high or ok code. 

Good luck,

- bob

Not sure what low coolant sensor you have.

My 2002 had a long probe that went down into the tank, a rubber grommet held it in place.  This type of probe was known to get dirty and would throw a low coolant light.  The solution was to remove the probe and clean with a scotts bright pad.  The probes contact with the coolant completed the ground circuit, you can test by cleaning and touching it to metal.

My original tank developed a leak and I changed, the new coolant sensor screwed into the bottom, one wire connection to the sensor but it worked the same, coolant touching the sensor completed the ground.

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

The solution was to remove the probe and clean with a scotts bright pad.  

I tried pulling the probe out of the grommet but couldn't get it out.  And trust me, I PULLED!

Secret?  Do tell!

- b

23 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I tried pulling the probe out of the grommet but couldn't get it out.  And trust me, I PULLED!

Secret?  Do tell!

- b

Ya, I know when I changed my surge tank I did remove the probe and even with the tank out it was difficult to remove. 

The circuit can still be  tested by running a ground wire to where the probe wire is connected. 

• Thanks 1

The Warning light is a signal from the engine ECM alerting the driver that an out of range condition exists in one or more of the set engine protection parameters.  This may or may not set a trouble code.  What needs to be done is to look at the engine history data using the Cummins Insite software paying attention to the history of coolant temperature, coolant level, oil pressure, intake manifold temperature, and engine overspeed (there may be other parameters that I missed).  Keep in mind that you could also have a bad sensor giving a false reading. Likely one of these parameters are running too high or too low as defined in the engine ECM parameters and the warning light comes on to alert the driver that you exceeded an engine protection parameter.  On newer engines, this would be logged in the engine abuse history report but I don't think Cummins had that feature in 2002.

There was a good discussion about this back about 4 years ago.  

I would share my previous post with your mechanic.  I basically explains why the light comes on and what needs to be done to troubleshoot the warning light.  The mechanic will need to use Cummins Insite Software and look at the engine protection parameters with the engine running and the warning light on.  They will then be able to see the parameter readings and the acceptable upper and lower limits.  One or more parameters will be out of range.  Then it's a matter fixing the issue, bad sensor or bad wiring. 

I had my engine warning light come on (2003 Signature with ISX 525 CM 870) in Maine on my way home from Newfoundland to Florida late 2022. I also checked all fluids and temps, nothing out of line. I had it checked at Cummins Tampa, and it turned out to be the EGR Valve when it was hooked up to Insite. They changed it out, it lasted for 300 miles and failed. This time the Engine warning light came on and it also derated the engine. Of course it was about 4.30pm on a Friday so good luck on getting help. Fortunately, I was only 150 miles from home, so I was able to get a mechanic I know with Insite to come and troubleshoot the problem. I disconnected the EGR Valve Sensor and was able to continue the trip. The Engine warning light stayed on. Cummins changed it out under warranty, and it's been fine since. 13,000 miles ago. I now have Insite myself as I never want to be stuck on the side of the road again without at least, knowing what the cause of the problem is.  

• Like 1

Our 2002 Cayman did the same thing. Occasionally the engine warning light illuminated. Finally did get a scan that showed the warning was connected to the barometric air pressure sensor, or the wiring, etc attached to that sensor. Could never get the issue resolved. A diesel engine needs 4 things to operate for a very long time.  Clean unrestricted air flow through the air intake and the radiator cooling system , clean unrestricted fuel flow, adequate level of lubricating oil, and adequate level of coolant. I panicked several times then manually checked the 4 above criteria and ignored the light.  Drove it for many miles and slept like a babe in it.