Another Girard Door Awning Question/Problem, 2006 Dynasty.

Hello again, another cry for help, our door awning is usually left out, yesterday I was on my own and was going to clean the front of the coach ready for moving at the weekend. This awning is NOT automatic as described in our manual, there are in and out buttons on the upper of the 2 Intellitec panels on the back of the O/H cabs above the pass seat. The buttons are momentary, hold until it stops... this time it didn't stop and I held it on too long..  the front of the awning had not retracted by the big front cowling,  while the back end had tried to keep going.  There was now no response from the motor to relieve the tension on the fabric.. oh no..  we were able to tap the front end rearward and it did jump in some, but not completely closed or in-line,  well done Laura..

Last evening I searched the wiring diagrams, #38040152, awning patio, door, front, would seem to apply, but ours is not automatic or hooked to the wind sensor. We can hear relays clicking, maybe over the drivers seat?  Found 2 12v awning fuses in the FRB, 15 and 20A, both good.. searched through previous posts but could not find an answer.

Hoping someone can confirm that this will be 12v and fused and where we might find it .  Maybe what model of Girard so we can find a manual.. at this time if we could manually wind it in tight that would be good as well..

Many thanks

Trevor and Laura 

With "Bella ", 2006 Dynasty 42ft Diamond 4

Stormy in Perry FL this morning, contacted a local mobile tech, still don't know where to locate fuse or how to manually retract.. he may be a waste of $$$..  Now pretty sure that the relay clicking is from cabinet above the D seat and behind the face panel that holds the Magnum remote, Aladdin switch and unused Winegard controls.. would Monaco have put a fuse behind there??

Any thoughts

Thanks

40 minutes ago, Trevor and Laura said:

Stormy in Perry FL this morning, contacted a local mobile tech, still don't know where to locate fuse or how to manually retract.. he may be a waste of $$$..  Now pretty sure that the relay clicking is from cabinet above the D seat and behind the face panel that holds the Magnum remote, Aladdin switch and unused Winegard controls.. would Monaco have put a fuse behind there??

Any thoughts

Thanks

Do you have the manual for the awning?  If not, get the PN from the “build sheet” or the Monaco RV DATA card sheet.  Then download the proper one. Read your second follow post….and just saw the first.

my GUT reaction is that the controller has the incoming 12 VDC.  AND it sends out the polarity voltage to retract or extend.  MAY BE an internal fuse?  If you get the PN, then you can call Girard.  However if you hear the controller chatter, then odds are…you got power.  Most of the techs have a Power Drill lithium battery with leads.  They then attach to motor to test or retract.  The controller probably has that labeled or it will be in manual.

YOU CAN…have someone HELP. retract it….you get on ladder outside and apply a little “muscle” to get it moving.  If it got whipped around, then it may be hung up. Most times, a firm but gentle push on the front frame will be enough for the motor to take over…  IF the entire scissors is out of sync….then try both exending and retracting and push or pull, while someone hold down switch…

That’s what others have done…

the manual will tell you voltage.  The door is probably 12VDC…. MY carefree Girard knock off on the patio is 120 VAC…need that for HP & Starting torque

Thanks Tom, our Girard patio awning is a G2000, and PO clearly identified it as 110v, our manual and wiring diagram says auto and connected to the wind sensor, which it is not..  we have no power, assume 12v, but the awning is not jammed anymore, but more out at the front than rear. We believe it is likely a G1500, but no documentation to confirm.

We have removed the old  Trac King controller and those clicking relays are definitely hidden up behind the Magnum remote, might there be a fuse with them? I am very nervous about removing that Magnum controller,  should I be? We are on 50A shore power, so everything is charged..  think it will have to come out to remove the mounting board. Sorry, pics are upside down...  If it's not a fuse then we have lost the motor?

Think the rain is coming to an end here, will put the tech off till tomorrow..

Thanks

20240403_123316.jpg

20240403_123325.jpg

Can try Ivan, but don't think it will gain much, top is tight and behind hinges  bottom is behind a lip and struts at the sides...

Looking at the manual and we do have the crank that looks like their picture,  will try it again now with instructions lol.

T

Okay, yesterday I thought we had the wrong manual crank for our Girards, but it fits into the big awning and works fine, but on the door awning there is no round hole for it to go into.. wondering now if something rotated in there when the motor stalled??

Have a call into Girard and that tech available tomorrow,  about to take the door off of the cabinet with the ticks, hinges and supports in the way, same pics going to Girard.

T

20240403_142725.jpg

20240403_142654.jpg

So, some motors do not use the crank, there may be a rubber plug on the top, go in with a 7mm hex key...  good to know for an emergency..

Had to remove the door and supports to access the clicking Intellitec 12v awning module, door and 3 windows. Replaced a 10A fuse and we have a working motor again. Fabric is ripped at the front of the rail and that end is still out some. Have not run fully out yet. Laura hoping to salvage the fabric..

Did not see any mention of this in the manual and did not look for the other 12v awnings in the wiring diagrams..

Mobile tech is cacelled, $$$ saved can go towards fabric..

Regards

20240403_154541.jpg

20240403_154830.jpg

• Like 1

Trevor and Laura, Sorry I am a bit late to this discussion, but here is some information to help with any future problems you might have with your Girard Awnings.

The door awning should have a manual crank port above the in and out limit on the motor end of the awning. I attached a picture showing its location.

I have attached a couple of wiring diagrams and the manual for the Girard 1500/2000 Awnings.

1-Awnings 2.pdf 1-Awnings 3.pdf 1-Awnings 4.pdf 1-Awnings.pdf

Thankyou David,

All information is good, our door awning is 12v, no place for the manual crank, Girard tech said to look for a rubber plug on top and then to use a 7mm Allen key, we will be removing / replacing fabric back home. Reading the manual I think our patio awning is going out to far, I sense the arms locking, wish I was comfortable on a ladder..

Thanks again everyone

12 hours ago, Trevor and Laura said:

Thankyou David,

All information is good, our door awning is 12v, no place for the manual crank, Girard tech said to look for a rubber plug on top and then to use a 7mm Allen key, we will be removing / replacing fabric back home. Reading the manual I think our patio awning is going out to far, I sense the arms locking, wish I was comfortable on a ladder..

Thanks again everyone

I consider myself "halfway proficient" at making repairs and adjustments...we have a LOT HERE that are superior to my skill sets.  I wrestled a LOT with my Carefree Girard Wanna Be....a DIRECT KNOCKOFF.  

I finally took the MH to a shop that had expertise in adjusting.  1/2 hour labor to adjust and fine tune that awning....works flawlessly...

SO. just my advice....FWIW....

On 4/3/2024 at 1:01 PM, Trevor and Laura said:

Thanks Tom, our Girard patio awning is a G2000, and PO clearly identified it as 110v, our manual and wiring diagram says auto and connected to the wind sensor, which it is not..  we have no power, assume 12v, but the awning is not jammed anymore, but more out at the front than rear. We believe it is likely a G1500, but no documentation to confirm.

We have removed the old  Trac King controller and those clicking relays are definitely hidden up behind the Magnum remote, might there be a fuse with them? I am very nervous about removing that Magnum controller,  should I be? We are on 50A shore power, so everything is charged..  think it will have to come out to remove the mounting board. Sorry, pics are upside down...  If it's not a fuse then we have lost the motor?

Think the rain is coming to an end here, will put the tech off till tomorrow..

Thanks

20240403_123316.jpg

20240403_123325.jpg

BTW.  The remote is simple.  FOUR screws....you see them.  I would do a SOFT RESART on the Magnum.  Hold in the Power button for maybe 10 - 15 seconds.  That is like powering down your Computer and doing a RESTART.  NOW....it will do it's trick.  

BUT.... it is NOW OFF....so you can safely work on the Remote.  There is ONLY a Phone Cable attached to the remote.  NOTHING exotic...so if you can pull 4 screws and also unplug a phone cable....good to GO.

NOW...do NOT PANIC.  With the Inverter OFF, I THINK you will lose the interior outlets.  That is NORMAL.  Power from shore goes into the Main panel via the ATS.  Then the 30 Amp breaker on the Main Panel sends 120 VAC to the Inverter.  That power is where the TWO lines come from.  One is the power to ALL the interior outlets (that would WORK when on the inverter) as well as the Microwave.

SO....have at it.  

Trevor, the Girard G1500 and G2000 Awnings are both 120VAC powered awnings. No where in the owners manual does it show a 12VDC powered awning.

What you been describing appears to be more like a Carefree Marquee Over the door awning. It is a 12VDC awning. To manually extend or retract that awning when there is no power, you must remove the right side end cap-(three Screws) and use an allen wrench to retract/extend the awning. with the cap off you will see the allen socket in the end of the tube to insert the allen wrench into.

I have attached the owners manual for the Carefree OTD awning.

Marquee-over the door Service-Manual.pdf

Hi David, should be a picture, it is a Girard, spoke with Jeremy at their Alabama facility, he thought it likely to be 12v, when I finally found the well hidden Intellitec controller there was a fuse identified as pass frt awning, 10A, it had blown, replaced with a tested new one and we again had a functioning motor, but with the fabric ripped at the front that end is not fully retracted, hopefully okay for travelling?  Since the damage is at one end we are hoping to have the fabric repaired, maybe only losing a couple of inches..  Pity we cannot use the same crank as the big awning, which is 115v and auto, with a working wind sensor...

Trevor 

20240405_114512.jpg

20240405_114603.jpg

I think Girard offer 2 styles of replacement 12v motors, thankfully a new 10A "dc" fuse got it running,  but what a place to locate it, no mention in our manual or wiring dias and then having to remove the cabinet door to get to it.. Girard, Jeremy, was very good.. Now to adjust the big one...

Trevor 

• 2 weeks later...

We may be into that oh cupboard and the awning controller again as one of the window awnings that was slow now seems to have died, luckily it's 90+% in..

We have successfully adjusted the "out" limit of the patio Girard and it stops before the arms lose their tension/lock ..

Thanks to all for your help and support 

Laura and Trevor