2003 SIG…..Inverter/Charger- Which bank is it connected to?

I know this is a very stupid question. I searched and didn't find a thread, so here goes!

1. When the Inverter manual speaks of charging batteries, is it talking about the hiuse batteries or the chassis batteries? 
2. Which batteries should I put the Battery Temperature Sensor, chassis or house?
when I got my coach it was just lying on the bottom of the battery compartment not attached to either house or chassis batteries. 
3. When I use the battery cut iff switches to cut power to both chassis and house batteries, will that automatically shut down the inverter/charger?

Short version - Your inverter/charger is to primarily charge house batteries but on your Signature, there will be an arrangement to charge chassis as well.. It could be a maintainer or a solenoid relay which does that when house is at a certain charging voltage. Therefore the temp sensor goes on house batteries. As far as the disconnects, you might want to test it to be sure but my inverter does not get disconnected by house disconnect. Chassis disconnect has no effect on inverter.

1. The Inverter uses the house battery bank to produce 120 VAC. When charging, it depends on your charging system. It should charge the house batteries first until Float SOC then charge the engine batteries to keep them fully charged.

2. House

3. No, you can turn off the Inverter which will no longer provide 120 VAC when disconnected from shore or generator power but there still may be some parasitic discharge from the Inverter.

8 hours ago, Keith H. said:

I know this is a very stupid question. I searched and didn't find a thread, so here goes!

1. When the Inverter manual speaks of charging batteries, is it talking about the hiuse batteries or the chassis batteries? 
2. Which batteries should I put the Battery Temperature Sensor, chassis or house?
when I got my coach it was just lying on the bottom of the battery compartment not attached to either house or chassis batteries. 
3. When I use the battery cut iff switches to cut power to both chassis and house batteries, will that automatically shut down the inverter/charger?

All good information….maybe a few caveats….you did NOT SPECIFY the inverter brand.

BATTERY TEMP SENSOR.  Be cautious.  If the sensor is defective, which is why a lot have been removed, it could cause the inverter to shut down or act erratically or drive you crazy.  This impacts the Magnum as well as Trace/Xantrex/Freedom brands.  The BTS is SUPPOSED to go on the most REAR Negative terminal. BUT, if it shorts to “Ground” you will have issues.  Many folks do NOT use their BTS….pulled it.  Many folks will affix it to the case of the most rear battery and do NOT want it connected “elextrically”.  It is a thermocouple….that’s it….there is no mystical circuit interaxtion with the negative.  You want it to “read”, like a contact thermocouple the case or battery temperature. A piece of Gorilla tape to hold it to the case….then daisy chain zip ties for a circumferential attaching back works.

Battery Cut Off Switches.

YES….Chassis

HOUSE….it depends.  Yours is PROBABLY YES.  But later on, at least in 2005 or so. NOPE! Monaco cabled the inverter directly to the House.  There was a 300A fuse (lower ends) and a 400A fuse Dynasty and above.  Folks have gone crazy finding that fuse as they were told the Inverter was “Direct”.  Turn OFF the house and chassis.  Disconnect the solar or cover the solar panel.  Use a VOM and measure the rear Positive to GROUND….let the inverter sit…as there may be a stray capacitor that shows voltage.

For example…a Fused (not connected via the House Disconnect Magnum inverter) inverter on the later models….NEVER shuts OFF….from the control panel inside…You have to MANUALLY do a shutdown….  Folks swore that when the lights inside were OFF….it was OFF.  Nope…it was just in a standby mode….and like a TV, it has a parasitic load and WILL run down house batteries.

BEST SOURCE….Download or look at your prints. Or the manual.

Even though you will get excellent information here, sometimes there are blanket statements that are used….and the subtle nuances like the above, as some assumed that ALL MONACO rigs were 100% alike, electrically.  This causes folks to go down paths that are incorrect and in some cases, they made modifications that were incorrect trying to make theirs…..”like the rest”.

Welcome….

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2003 SIG…..Inverter/Charger- Which bank is it connected to?

Thank you Tom. Electric issues or potential electrical issues is probably my biggest weakness. I can hand saw steps off if they are stuck (wouldnt do it, but I could) but this 6 batteries in total (house in parallel), inverter/charger, Shore power, Gen power, fuses, “hidden” fuses can drive an old man crazy. 
You know, I did 21 years in Air Force Special Tactics units (Special Operations) and lived through it, but the electrical stuffs going to drive me crazy. When I get one answer, I produces 3 more questions. 
Live and learn!