Honda CRV

Flyinhy
Go to solution Solved by hex_nut,

I'm about to retire my sierra as my toad and I'm considering a 2014 Honda crv. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but I wanted to hear from someone who actually has one. It's a front wheel drive car. I read the owners manual and it says it can be flat towed but I wanted to make sure from someone who has one. I was under the impression that it had to be the AWD version. 

I love towing my sierra but I'd rather use it only on certain trips. The crv would be my daily commuter for work.

• Solution

I have towed 3 different CRV's as dinghy's.  Both 2wd and AWD versions are flat towable.  The critical part is that you MUST follow the transmission shift pattern preparations for towing (With engine running, brake on, shift into Drive, wait 5 seconds, shift to Neutral and turn engine off, leaving steering wheel unlocked.  If you shift into Neutral from Reverse, it will leave the clutch pack engaged and you will damage the transmission if towed.)  I love my CRV's.  Good luck with yours.  I am sad that the newer ones (after 2014) are no longer towable.

Richard   

My 2014 CR-V is front-wheel drive and the owners manual gives clear instructions on prep fo flat towing (somewhat different from above, but still simple enough a 5th grader could do it).

I found mine searching RV trader and it was ready to go with the baseplate installed and tow bar included.  Checked it out and good to go.  Probably 7,000 miles of flat towing and another 15,000 of driving, all is well.

Good luck in your search!

We have a 2014 CR-V AWD and it tows very well, but I think that has been proven. As said, follow the instructions. If the key is mot in the correct position then you will get great milage, as we did - 144 mpg, lol.

We have a Patriot braking system that runs off the car battery and found the battery to be very small, even with the charging line. So I upgraded to a larger battery and that has solved the problem. 
One problem with these vehicles is that it develops what feels like a torque-converter shudder.  This is well documented on the Honda forums and there is no permanent fix that I know of. The only fix seems to be to drain the transmission fluid and then refill. This will get rid of the issue for about a year. Either way you should replace the fluid after towing and driving the vehicle 30 000 miles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

I made up a  Honda CRV check list for my wife to reference.  I laminated it and keep it in the car.    She follows it carefully and we've never had an issue--going on 10 years now.

2014 Honda tow checklist.docx 11.75 kB · 7 downloads

Ha, as I'm doing my final hookups I listen to my wife tell me the steps she performed inside the car, then when I'm done, I go and check!

Good thing..... last time I found the transmission left in reverse 😮!

48 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Ha, as I'm doing my final hookups I listen to my wife tell me the steps she performed inside the car, then when I'm done, I go and check!

Good thing..... last time I found the transmission left in reverse 😮!

MY DW sits after she pulls close enough for the tow bar hookup.  She refuses to be involved.  I do have her sit in vehicle and turn on and off the ignition…..then finally start engine and put in reverse and rev up….repeat for drive.  So, I functionally test neutral before we start the trip.  Likewise she pulls up and then after total disconnect of bar and umbilical, I reach in window and restore it from NEUTRAL.

A real MARRIAGE saving protocol….LOL….

4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

MY DW sits after she pulls close enough for the tow bar hookup.  She refuses to be involved.  I do have her sit in vehicle and turn on and off the ignition…..then finally start engine and put in reverse and rev up….repeat for drive.  So, I functionally test neutral before we start the trip.  Likewise she pulls up and then after total disconnect of bar and umbilical, I reach in window and restore it from NEUTRAL.

A real MARRIAGE saving protocol….LOL….

The last couple trips, I've taken my 14.5 year old grandson since my wife had to stay back for work (CPA, tax time!!).  I've let him pull the car up to the tow bar and he and I've practice the check list several times, but I still oversee his steps.   He takes it VERY seriously. I asked him a non-relevant question mid checklist, and he insisted on starting over.   Even leaves his IPhone in coach so he doesn't get distracted, which, I'm told,  is unheard of.  LOL. 

Trust, but Verify.   

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 4:29 AM, Flyinhy said:

I'm about to retire my sierra as my toad and I'm considering a 2014 Honda crv. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but I wanted to hear from someone who actually has one. It's a front wheel drive car. I read the owners manual and it says it can be flat towed but I wanted to make sure from someone who has one. I was under the impression that it had to be the AWD version. 

I love towing my sierra but I'd rather use it only on certain trips. The crv would be my daily commuter for work.

Well I bought my 2013 used to have as a TOAD.   Then heard that 2014 is also towable.  We have to have the rear camera to even know it is back there.   I follow instructions and have my Tranny service done about twice as often and I run through the whole RITUAL of warming it up a bit then running it through the gears per the owner manual every day before we take off.    I have to remind myself that it now has  about 29000 more miles on the chassis as on the Odometer but it had been PERFECT.  Knock on wood!!!

• Like 1