Shoreline Electric power reel worn out… Fixable??

I have a 2005 Camelot 40 pdq and my power reel broke today. Too worn out to fix. Any suggestions as to where and what brand I should buy ? It's an old Shoreline reel by TDI products. Model RV5036. Can't find another one like it.

thanks,

Dave

Dave, we have an ‘08 Monaco Camelot 42pdq.  This past summer, we had a heck of a time trying to find an electrical fault in which power was not being distributed correctly.  Of all things, it turned out to be the reel.  Inside the reel are electronics that seem to be problematic. In researching the reels and rather often issues with them, we took it out.  The wires from the exterior of the reel are easily spliced.  Yes it is a bit annoying to have to place the power cord back into the coach, but the peace of mind is worth the extra five minutes.  You might find a used replacement at an rv salvage. 
Good luck.

I had a problem with mine a couple of years ago, and if I remember correctly, Southwire bought Shorline. I found the TRC Southwire RH54331RMK was a perfect replacement.  I see several online sellers have them.

1 hour ago, Rick Rutel said:

Dave, we have an ‘08 Monaco Camelot 42pdq.  This past summer, we had a heck of a time trying to find an electrical fault in which power was not being distributed correctly.  Of all things, it turned out to be the reel.  Inside the reel are electronics that seem to be problematic. In researching the reels and rather often issues with them, we took it out.  The wires from the exterior of the reel are easily spliced.  Yes it is a bit annoying to have to place the power cord back into the coach, but the peace of mind is worth the extra five minutes.  You might find a used replacement at an rv salvage. 
Good luck.

I prefer new.

thanks  Rick

19 minutes ago, Warren B said:

I had a problem with mine a couple of years ago, and if I remember correctly, Southwire bought Shorline. I found the TRC Southwire RH54331RMK was a perfect replacement.  I see several online sellers have them.

This works.

many thanks,

Dave

My personal opinion is NOT to install another reel as they are notorious for problems. I would hard-wire it to your transfer case or to a junction box depending on exactly what you currently have and be done with it. Or wire in a 50 amp Male end on your coach, then wire a 50 amp Female end on the end of your power cord. That would allow you to coil it up and place it into a storage container then into one of your storage bays,

My previous Windsor and my current Dynasty both came with Glendinning Cablemaster's model RLC which are FAR better than any reel could ever think to be.

https://www.glendinningprods.com/products/cablemaster/rlc/

• Like 1

On my 2006 the plastic gear inside stsriped out causing it not to pull the cord.  On the FMCA site there was someone who was making a replacement gear.  I got one and it has been working great ever since.  But this was years ago.

Good luck.

Tom

Posted (edited)

I had a problem with the Shoreline reel not retracting and found the reel had a gear(plastic type material) that had broken. I found there was a person that was making the parts to repair it.  John Delmatoff 3440 Welsh Drive  Norco CA 92860 

I have an email address of   jondel1234@yahoo.com

He charged 75.00 at t.he time. That was several years ago. My coach has the reel inside and area that was only accessible through the closet. Very difficult to get in there especially since I am not as flexible as I once was. But.. Got it done, it works wonderfully and I save a bunch of money.. AND Many THANKS to this wonderful forum.

Hope this can help you.

The parts he sent even had all the correct rivets and instructions!!

Edited by brokenarrow1244
extra comment on parts
  • Like 1

Comments on, I assume, the “Shoreline” reels, commonly used.

NO POWER.  Most of those issues were traced back to “operator error”.  Primarily folks that spent time, a lot of it, in one location.  If you pull out the cord and leave it in that position for several months, possibly load dependent, the contacts on the “power circles” or where each contact rubs, will arc and eventually cause a high resistance.  Folks have solved this by routinely powering in the cord and then pulling it back out in a random location.  If there was a shorting or intermittent issue, then, most will repeat the IN & OUT quickly maybe 5 or so times.  The contacts (spring loaded) will burnish and sort of self clean the concentric circular copper/bronze contact rings.  

Drive mechanism issues.  Somewhere in my brain, I remember that a machine shop or individual made a new drive gear.  Googoing a bit….I ran across this.

if the link breaks…EBAY.  Shoreline parts.  And you will find it,  yes….expensive…but one has to decide how to fix. YES…removal is a PITA.  It IS accessible, on the Camelots from inside the closet or the side wall.  However, you must drop or raise the flex air intake hose (from the rear cap upper corner).  Not that bad.  You can also do the needed PM on the hose where most were nicked or had minor slits.  A couple of rounds of Gorilla tape (clean the hose) works great….10+ years…and perfect.  Monaco had more jagged corners and brackets so nicking was easy.  This exposes the MAIN Junction Box.  Always remember to do that very 5 or so years.  The connections loosen….trust me.

THEN….to Richard’s observations.  Yes the Dynasty ones with the “rubber wheel drive on the cord” is much nicer.  Can you retro fit?  Don’t think so. They are NOT CHEAP per a member’s post.

YES, you can run a short length of SealTite or plastic flex conduit and put in a Camco 50 A male. IF I did that…I’d keep a blank Female (no wires) over it.  I do NOT think that an ATS will malfunction… but having the possibility where exposed MALE prongs are….spooks me, Then, you salvage the cord…NOW, also replace the MALE end.  These are getting older and banging around, even lightly, has lead to power issue….especially the high cost (over $10K) Open Neutral.  Then you coil up the old cord…and go manual.

OTHERS probably have some more to add, but this is the gist or history of the past problems…

Thanks for the link on repairs….I KNOW that several have done this….maybe they will chime in…

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Shoreline Electric power reel worn out… Fixable??

Dave, I have an ‘06 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, mine was the broken gear in the reel.  I too looked high and low, plus the prices are out of sight.  I finally decided to just eliminate the reel all together.  So I removed the old one, which by the way is a real treat.  But now all I do is stuff it into the pocket left over from no reel being in the way.  Part of the power cable needs to be pushed back in the opening under the bed, but it's really easy to get it in there.  And I don't have to worry about a failing motor, or a broken gear anymore.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:20 PM, Dave Shackelford said:

I have a 2005 Camelot 40 pdq and my power reel broke today. Too worn out to fix. Any suggestions as to where and what brand I should buy ? It's an old Shoreline reel by TDI products. Model RV5036. Can't find another one like it.

thanks,

Dave

Maybe you could provide your meaning of "broke". Now Curious of what is the problem or actual malfunction. 

1 hour ago, brokenarrow1244 said:

Maybe you could provide your meaning of "broke". Now Curious of what is the problem or actual malfunction. 

Thermo Nuclear destruction , Meltdown, Fried, DEAD

On 5/4/2024 at 8:18 AM, Dr4Film said:

My personal opinion is NOT to install another reel as they are notorious for problems. I would hard-wire it to your transfer case or to a junction box depending on exactly what you currently have and be done with it. Or wire in a 50 amp Male end on your coach, then wire a 50 amp Female end on the end of your power cord. That would allow you to coil it up and place it into a storage container then into one of your storage bays,

My previous Windsor and my current Dynasty both came with Glendinning Cablemaster's model RLC which are FAR better than any reel could ever think to be.

https://www.glendinningprods.com/products/cablemaster/rlc/

spliced the cord to the electrical box that goes to the Transfer switch. I am no longer going to use the reel.

Thanks,

Dave

On 5/3/2024 at 8:31 PM, Rick Rutel said:

Good luck.

Yep, I spliced them and no more reel.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 1