Cracks in Suspension Control Arms

Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

I'm building some safety ramps to run the coach drive wheels onto to inspect the control arms for cracks that some have experienced. Can the cracks occur anywhere or is there and area of the arms more susceptible to failure that I need to inspect more closely?    

I would inspect all the main supports for the differential and frame.  Never know where they could be.

I inspect mine every time I crawl underneath.  Last year I found hair line cracks on the main axle support, but I've seen pictures of severe cracks in several places. 

I did the prep work for the welding, used a small side grinder to groove out the crack.  My neighbor brought is welder over and welded it up. 

I checked it after having it welded at 1000 miles, 2000 miles, and +6500 miles and it's held so I think the fix is good.

Crack found.jpg

Crack cleaned up.jpg

Welded.jpg

Weld after ~2000K miles.jpg

• Like 1

The "S" Series chassis has had cracking issues on the rear H frame vertical braces.  After 2008 Monaco reinforced this area from the factory by adding gussets to the vertical braces.  We think the Jake brake is causing the issue.  

Some good posts with pictures.  

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/failed-vertical-frame-3-x-3-posts-2005-signature-361033.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cracked-upright-frame-tube-353711.html

• Like 1

I was able to get my coach into my sons shop and up on some ramps for room and safety. I'm amazed at the condition under there. There is no rust anywhere and it looks like a 5-year-old drive train and tag. I could find no cracks of any kind. I will have my son take a closer look at every weld and the H frame. Hope I'm one of the lucky ones. 

• Like 1

Monaco did reinforce the vertical uptight on later models (not sure when this started but think it was around 2006). My 06 navigator has the additional bracing and I've had no cracking to date but do check it when I grease the coach. Since yours is also an 06 you may have the extra braces. 

• Like 1

Our 2000 Windsor. We also added a Horizonal brace that I did not get a photo of. I called Monaco in 2004, they said "yea, it looks like you should buy a new H-Frame", "sorry about that". Our first re-weld, did not hold. The 2nd 'fix' with gussets and a brace seems to be holding. 

Mvc-008f.jpg

DSCN2927.JPG

DSCN2930.JPG

DSCN2939.JPG

• Like 3

• Solution
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Yoaks5 said:

Monaco did reinforce the vertical uptight on later models (not sure when this started but think it was around 2006). My 06 navigator has the additional bracing and I've had no cracking to date but do check it when I grease the coach. Since yours is also an 06 you may have the extra braces. 

I rechecked it today and mine has the factory updated bracing, so I should be good. Apparently, Monaco corrected the problem on the Executives as well as the Signatures in 2006 and more than likely other models as well. I got a lucky break, as I knew nothing about this problem or other Monaco issues when we bought our Executive.

Edited by Venturer
  • Like 2