Entry Door Will Not Open - Top Latch is not releasing

I have read several posts on this subject however it appears I have a different problem than the ones I have seen so far.  I have worked on this for about 5 hours so far today but so far no joy.  I have been working on several projects getting ready to start a trip tomorrow.  Airbags, left drive axle brake rebuilt with new caliper and rotor and several other lessor items.  Today with the doors locked with the electric locks, the entry door would not open but I could hear the solenoid unlock when I put in the code.  So went in through the window and confirmed that it was indeed unlocked but still would not open.  Managed to get into the latch even with the screen door in the way, that is not an easy task The bottom latch releases but the top latch does not.  The rod going up to the top latch would not move down at all to release that latch.  Got some vice grips on it and carefully used a hammer to encourage it to come down,  It will not budge at all.   With the screen door in the way there is very little way to get in where you need to work.  So I tried pulling the window frame screws and got the back ones out and now prying the rear window frame in about 1/2" I can see the top of the rod and the arm that should release the latch.  I can get a screwdriver in there and try to pry it down to release the latch.  Even with a fair amount of force, it will not move to release the latch.  Does anybody have any ideas on how to get it released?   I have not found an exploded view of how that latch mechanism works.  It appears I might be able to get a socket on the two nuts through my small opening, but what will that do?  If I had a good detailed drawing of that latch it would help. So, I have not tried that yet.  So without a miracle, we won't be leaving in the morning as planned.   I would be grateful for any help on how to release that top latch.  Once I get it open then I can take the inside of the door apart and adjust the linkage as needed.

Posted (edited)

AZTech on YouTube has a video about adjusting the Monaco door, but I’m not sure it will help you with your still locked in place. But I think that’s where his video starts and how he got it unlocked.

Edited by timaz996

The AZ Expert video is a good suggestion. 

I followed it when adjusting mine.  I only took 2 pictures during the process.  They are pictures of the lock assembly, perhaps they will help.  It may be helpful to have someone apply presure to the outside of the door while trying to release from inside?

IMG_5969.JPG.8b8e96812f04867479c2726da5520f2b.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

I feel your pain. Ran into a similar issue as I was locked out for a few hours. All I can think is that maybe the latch is not fully engaged. Pulling to close the latch fully may allow for it to release. 

Good Luck!

Posted (edited)

Yes, but he didn't have the problem I have as when he pulled the rod down it released.  Mine won't release. I have worked on it for a couple more hours.  Still no joy.  A neighbor came over to help and we can push the door in so there is no pressure on it at all and it will not release.   Wish I could find a drawing of how that fork works that grabs the striker bolt.  That is what needs to be released so the fork will turn.

The coach is level and not twisted.  You can push the door in fairly easily.  There is play there.  The pneumatic seal keeps it nice and tight going down the road.  

I managed to get through where the brush seals the frame and you can see the fork and wiggle it for and aft, but I need to get it to move the other way and rotate.   I tried drilling on the fork, it is very hard.

Edited by c210pa18

Changing level setting could free it up as well. I have had the catch open but still hang up on the striker. A wiggle of the door made it pop of and a twist of the coach to level kept it from happening a second time. 

Found this with a few diagrams. I hope it helps. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/entry-door-panel-removal-tips-for-monaco-dynasty-122462.html 

You’re assuming the latch is locked… maybe it’s unlocked but top of door is jammed. Can you push up on the rod? If so, pull back down and push hard on the top of the screen/door.

Posted (edited)

Got it open.  Managed to get a 1/2 inch air belt sander in the small opening in the screen door frame where the sticker bolt is and ground the top ear off the fork.  Tomorrow I will take the top assembly apart and see if I can see the problem.  When I replaced the middle door handle assembly 3 years ago which was very worn I should have replaced the top and bottom mechanism at the same time.  They are likely just worn out like the middle one was.   One must be able to buy those assemblies somewhere.  I expect they are made by TRI MARK as the door handle assembly is.  If anybody knows a part number that would be great to know.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Edited by c210pa18

It is all back together adjusted and can not get it to fail again.  It is worn and parts are loose so needs to be replaced I'll get one ordered.  I left a bit of the ear on so it does lock and draw in a bit but not super secure on the top latch.  Will see how it is going down the road.   I have about 900 miles to where we will be for several weeks.  Now on to another issue to figure out.

Good news!  I got locked out of my rig in 2018 because the electric solenoid would not unlock the door. I only use the dead bolt to lock it now. 

7 hours ago, timaz996 said:

Good news!  I got locked out of my rig in 2018 because the electric solenoid would not unlock the door. I only use the dead bolt to lock it now. 

Probably a good idea!

I had my baggage door electric actuators melt down (luckily unlocked position).

When these seize up, your not going to 'overpower' them with a key!