If I was a coolant fiter, where would I be hiding?

I have a 2005 Diplomat with the ISL 400.

I am in the process of replacing the radiator and will be flushing the coolant.  Getting the radiator out was tons of fun.  Hopefully the replacement will be here on Friday.

I have read about coolant filters, finding the right one with proper chemicals and all that.  I am going to swap over to extended lift coolant, so was going to get a no chemical one.  The local Cummins shop looked up my engine, and could not find it.  The engine manual that I have for the motorhome doesn't mention one.  I have found 2 fuel filters and an oil filter, but nothing else I can identify.  But I am new to these big engines so I can easily be missing something.

That leads the question, do I even have a coolant filter?  Where would it be and how do I find it?  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

Posted (edited)

Doubt very much that you even have one. My ISL400-2 in my 06 Dynasty does not have one.

However, my previous 02 Windsor with the ISC-350 did have one that sat right behind the oil filter.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

If it’s like mine on a ISC and you even have one mine is on the LH of engine close to the block more toward the back half of the block, it's a little shorter than the oil filter. Someone with the ISL 400 would definitely be of more help if you even have one. 

Edited by tmw188

Pretty sure you don’t have one. I have a 2007 ISL 400 and it doesn’t have one. You should change all your coolant hoses, belts, idler arm etc… while you have the radiator out. Lots of work just finished all of that on my rig. 

• Like 1

Not sure about the pulleys, but changing belts, hoses, fan and overflow.

Best place to check….   Read the last section of the manual.  All the filter info is there.  I’m with the rest.  Probably don’t have one. Most didn’t but sometimes the upper ends.

Just keep looking!, but don’t stress….

Posted (edited)

On the ISC or ISL it could be bolted to the right side of the block, around that time cummins stopped including them, and it would have been mounted remotely if Monaco wanted to add one, or they could still get the part from cummins to add to the side of the block.  I would trace all the coolant lines to the heater etc.  If you have a coolant filter, you'd want it replaced before it rusts through from the outside and the damage that could cause.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/installing-a-coolant-filter-on-isc-isl-94754.html

Edited by Benjamin