Air Leak and Unknown Bolt

Posted (edited)

So i traced my main known air leak to the front tank and a bolt on the top portion. The bolt was just about finger tight. It is a 1 3/16" head bolt and i tightened it down but still could hear hissing so i took it all the way out to put some tape on the threads. 5 pieces came out with it, no wires, no plugs for wires so i am confused as to what it's purpose is. I took a pic of the pieces laid our and the leak was coming from the broken o-ring, but other then that, no idea what it does, how it does it and how tight it should be. The bolt on the right has a 1 3/16" head on it as i mentioned.

air tank bolt.JPEG

Edited by dereeves

I would call that a plug rather than a bolt, but, with no air lines from it, I have no idea what it's for!

It has the spring, but is much larger than any pressure relief valve I've ever seen!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I would call that a plug rather than a bolt, but, with no air lines from it, I have no idea what it's for!

It has the spring, but is much larger than any pressure relief valve I've ever seen!

And there are no escape holes or anything. Just a cap looking bolt with a broken o ring. I ordered new o rings so when they come i will put it back together (i hope) and re install it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dereeves said:

And there are no escape holes or anything. Just a cap looking bolt with a broken o ring. I ordered new o rings so when they come i will put it back together (i hope) and re install it. 

A picture of the “tank” you took it off of a shot of the area or whats around it would be great.  Do you know what the “tank” is used for?  May be an expansion vent..??

Also, the part on the left…Is that a replaceable “O” ring on it or a molded on or a glued on rubber surface.

Perhaps our more knowledgeable members can chime in as to the use. It has all the “makings” of a regulator or relief.  

This the the rear side of the tank. It is about 18"s in front of the front axle you can see the front part of the front shocks. The yellow lines show the hole i took the bolt out of. There is something in the hole as it is blocking my finger from going in. Maybe like an inch and a half. As for what it supplies air too, i would imagine both brakes and airbags. I couldn't trace the hoses as they go into globs of hoses above where it is.

1.jpg

2.jpg

13 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Check the large threaded portion for any numbers, then do a search for what you find.

I went through my air system and don't recall anything that looked like that. 

No numbers...just a brass bolt.

26 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

A picture of the “tank” you took it off of a shot of the area or whats around it would be great.  Do you know what the “tank” is used for?  May be an expansion vent..??

Also, the part on the left…Is that a replaceable “O” ring on it or a molded on or a glued on rubber surface.

Perhaps our more knowledgeable members can chime in as to the use. It has all the “makings” of a regulator or relief.  

Oh sorry...yes it is just a free floating o-ring. No adhesion or traces of adhesive. 

It is pathetic...i have had my CDL-A since 1997 and have accumulated nearly 2 million miles pulling 53's nation wide and doubles throughout New England....never had to tear into anything like this. We had to replace the glad hands and other driver maintenance stuff, but either road service or our shops did anything deeper. So for 20 years of driving when i stopped, never turned a wrench on one. 🙂

The downloads section had a schematic of a air system for Dynasty/Windsor. 

I was able to use this to source parts/fittings when I went through my air system.   It shows there are a series of plugs on the top of the front tank.  But then number does not look like anything like the picture you posted.  You might take the parts to a truck shop and they might be able to help/explain.

Doesn't matter if you don't have maintenance back ground or wrench turning experience as long as you are willing to try/learn or have a high limit CC.  I prefer to turn wrenches and still willing to learn.

• Like 2

Do you have a plug on either end of that split tank, dead center?

Just now, DavidL said:

clean it all up, replace the Oring, put it back together in the sequence it came apart and call er good.

I agree, but I'm still curious what it's for!

• Like 1

I agree with the others...sure looks like a relief valve. The spring sets the pressure.

If you put the parts in sequence, then we can be more sure if it's to prevent overpressure (likely) or even possibly to eliminate a possible vacuum condition.

• Like 1

That's what I thought, but with no vent hole, it can't relieve pressure to atmosphere!

Danny, any chance that short pipe your plug screws into has a vent hole out of sight?

• Like 1

Like Ben said, it looks like a split tank.  The rust line is the weld for the baffle in the center of the tank.  That spring is too light to be a relief valve.  I'll bet it's a check valve, so if one side loses air, it still holds in the other side. 

• Like 1

The check valve between the wet & dry tank is in the "wall" between them. 

The plug he has in the picture doesn't look like it has any tube attached to it.  No idea what it does, I don't remember seeing anything like that on my rig.  I removed any fitting/fixture that I thought might fail over time.  Anything with "rubber" in it, and replaced. 

Hopefully someone can identify the function!!

• Like 1

I'm not that familiar with that style tank, but that spring is not any kind of regulating valve or relief valve, it can only be a check valve that I can see.  The wall could be the small rusty line, and the bigger rusty line is the joint between the two halves of the tank.  It would be easy to add the check valve with the internal plumbing that way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

That's what I thought, but with no vent hole, it can't relieve pressure to atmosphere!

Danny, any chance that short pipe your plug screws into has a vent hole out of sight?

not that i saw, but i wasn't looking either....i will look tomorrow and see.

Well new o-rings came today (MacMaster-Car is your friend for quality and specific size fasteners), put yellow teflon tape on the threads, removed excess for o-ring, tightened it down and 3 hours later still at 120psi. 

• Like 1