GM W22 workhorse chassis 8.1 liter motor in need of engine parts......

Go to solution Solved by Craggar,

Hello all Monacoers.....

My GM W22 Workhorse chassis with 8.1 litre motor is in need of rocker arms and other engine parts.

I am located in Canada and looking for a supplier, parts store, etc. who might have what I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....and thank you!

Danny

Edited by Danny W
moving this to a different topic location

The 8100 Vortec was used in heavy duty GM trucks like Silverado 2500/3500 so any parts store or GM dealer should be able to get them. You will need to know if the rockers are stamped or rollers. GM dealer should be able to find out by the serial number if you don't have it open.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Where in Can.? Should be easy to find just about anywhere. Actually check with Rockauto, usually good pricing and ships to Can. fast with no duty.

Edited by Craggar

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 10:18 PM, Craggar said:

Where in Can.? Should be easy to find just about anywhere. Actually check with Rockauto, usually good pricing and ships to Can. fast with no duty.

Hey Craggar, thanks for that information.  You are correct RockAuto had what we need and they shipped the parts with no issues.

Appreciate all who responded to my question, and I hope you have a great day.

Danny

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all who responded to my request.

The tick noise we had in our 8.1 turned out to be a rocker arm "ball seat" that was a different size from the rest in the motor.

Not sure who or where this was done.  The tick is now gone and the 8.1 motor sounds great.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Danny

• Like 1

Actually there is duty and GST to Canada. Rock auto includes it in the shipping charges. Still great prices. If you order from Amazon USA they too include duty and GST. At least you do mot have to deal with UPS  or FedEx charging you $50.00 to clear customs.

Hello Birdshill123:

Thanks for your response and recommendation to use Rock Auto.  As it turns out I did order from Rock Auto and they were great, good pricing and easy returns for the extras I ordered.

When we opened up the valve covers we discovered one of the cylinders in our GM 8.1 gas motor had a completely different ball seat on the rocker arm. The rocker arm subsequently was very loose.  After putting in the correct ball seat the engine tick went away completely.  We just purchased this rig last fall and I suspect this ticking has been building since day one.  I have attached a picture showing the correct ball seat (on right) and the seat found making the ticking noise (on left).

Thanks again for your comments and have a good day.

Danny

GM 8.1 ball seats, wrong one on the left.jpg

1 hour ago, birdshill123 said:

Actually there is duty and GST to Canada. Rock auto includes it in the shipping charges. Still great prices. If you order from Amazon USA they too include duty and GST. At least you do mot have to deal with UPS  or FedEx charging you $50.00 to clear customs.

Yes your right but you don't get nailed the brokerage fees you pay with the big names like DHL, UPS.... even though they use them for shipping. Typically the shipping is 30-40 from Rock Auto but when I ordered from Tire Minder Fed X charged me 161.00 for brokerage and duty on top of the 40.00 Tireminder charged for shipping. Other than Rock Auto I won't buy anything from the US now unless they ship via USPS who also doesn't charge brokerage fees.

13 hours ago, Craggar said:

Other than Rock Auto I won't buy anything from the US now unless they ship via USPS who also doesn't charge brokerage fees.

I don't want to change the subject, but if you're ordering through the USPS . . . .

I don't know if you've been watching the US news but USPS has been "lacking", especially in the Southeast.  There's a major hub that was consolidated in Peachtree City GA that's been a major snafu - stuff goes in and doesn't come out.  Packages, invoices, mortgage payments, . . . prescriptions.  One of our GA US Senators has toured the facility twice looking for answers.  US Postmaster General has been under Congressional review over the incompetence of this facility.  

I don't know if the operations of the Peachtree City GA hub are duplicated in other parts of the US yet.  It's part of a 10 year consolidation plan.  

This is just the tip of the iceberg - https://www.gpb.org/news/2024/05/20/mail-delays-linger-for-georgia-residents-months-after-new-usps-facility-opening

Not saying you shouldn't order through USPS but if it's coming out of the SE I'd think twice about it. 

I'm in GA but haven't been personally impacted . . . . although we don't rely on the USPS much I'm currently waiting on a small part that mysteriously is delayed. 

- bob