Engine hatch open sensor

Posted (edited)

I was working on the cantilever rear hatch door on our Dynasty. The wire connected to the hatch door switch was all corroded and it separated from the switch . The switch connector was also corroded so I need a new switch

It is not a pin switch. Somehow senses when it is parallel.  Where can I buy one of these switches ?

Thanks

Edited by birdshill123

2 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

I was working on the cantilever rear hatch door on our Dynasty. The wire connected to the hatch door switch was all corroded and it separated from the switch . The switch connector was also corroded so I need a new switch

It is not a pin switch. Somehow senses when it is parallel.  Where can I buy one of these switches ?

Thanks

If you Google "tilt switch" you should be able to find one that will work.  These switches make contact when tilted in a certain position.  Old ones used to have mercury sealed inside.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No, it is the only switch at the rear. All the other compartment doors use common pin switches. I think Monaco used this type of switches as a pin switch would get damaged easily when doing engine maintenance

20240703_134345.thumb.jpg.2859ee0b9f57cd7516c1e1c484715a9b.jpg

Edited by birdshill123

That doesn't look anything like a proximity switch nor does it look like a tilt switch similar to what they used to put on the rooftop antennas to activate the antenna up dash light.

Never seen anything like it.

52 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

No, it is the only switch at the rear. All the other compartment doors use common pin switches. I think Monaco used this type of switches as a pin switch would get damaged easily when doing engine maintenance

20240703_134345.thumb.jpg.2859ee0b9f57cd7516c1e1c484715a9b.jpg

Yes that looks just like mine.  Here are two pictures.  One in the holder and one removed.

PXL_20240703_232746827.jpg

PXL_20240703_232529510.jpg

Inside I can hear a mechanism that moves when I move it up and down.

The holder makes the ground connection.  Any other tilt switch sensor should work.

PURE CURIOSITY ON MY PART

Amazon has one.  Mixed REVIEWS.  Used for LED lights...one guy said that his Sub Woofer would cause the switch to VIBRATE...as the BUMPA BUMPA pulsing.  I can relate to that...if I jack up the volume in my BOSE system in my Vette, the bass will stimulate and move the hairs on my legs.  DO NOT GO ANYWHERE WITH THAT....LOL. The switch below requires a separate GROUND connection.  Easy to DO, based on the picture.  The one in Frank's appears to have a metallic ring...so when it is seated, there case or cover is GROUNDED....

Directed Electronics Inc 8623 Electronics Ball Bearing Tilt Switch

NOW, I would add a PRACTICAL WORD OF CAUTION.  If the switch you install is TOO SENSITIVE...then you are NOT GONNA BE HAPPY.  As Frank points out, the GROUND is the circuit. SO, when the switch is lifted....the ball bearing makes a circuit.  We USED to use MERCURY containing switches for such. 

OK...NOT good based on the toxicity of Mercury.  BUT, if this one does VIBRATE...like the we have in the back of a MH, then you and your crew are gonna be UNHAPPY.  The GROUND wire runs a loop and there is ONE circuit.  That brings on the AUDIBLE...and the alarm in my Camelot...which HAD NONE...but there was a CHAFED wire... was ugly...even I could hear it before I got Hearing aids...not to mention that the LIGHT on the dash will flash ON and OFF.

Don't know if there is a PN that someone has found as a direct replacement.  NO DIMENSIONS on the Diameter. Might do some googling and find one that had dimensions and then try to get it to fit...or add a wrap or Gorilla Tape to hold it in position.  A VIBRATING or TOO Sensitive switch will, IMHO...as MINE was ON (grounded) all the time...

BTW... Best Buy sells what looks like the same switch, CHEAPER... and you can get the dimensions.  GOOGLE it is a VOX brand...but the ALL look they came out the same factory....