2005 Dynasty ISL400 getting hot.

We decided to take a trip in the old Countessa to Colorado.   Driving across northern TX, the silver leaf jumped to the coolant screen when it hit 215, it climbed up to 220 for a few seconds before I could get it moving back down.   Finally got it under control and checked the fans speed controller, coolant, etc at the next stop all was good.   The next day we moved on to Pueblo and it hit 218 on the biggest climb,   I don’t drive these inclines much so I’m still figuring out what gear I should be in.  It seemed to stay the coolest when I would get the rpms around 2000 - 2200 on the climbs.   

Got to a fuel stop and decided to check the trans level got the dreaded ol -95 message, then when we get to the campground, I crank up after registering and the check-trans light is on.   After a minute or so it let me shift into get and got me to our site.    The diag code said 22 14, issue with Input speed sensor.    I crawled under the coach today and tested the resistance on the input speed sensor, it was in range.   So I pulled the big transmission connector apart cleaned all the contacts with alcohol, put it back together and the oil level sensor is working again and the input speed sensor error is clear.   If your servicing your Allison on a 15 year old coach, I’d recommend cleaning that connector.

Safety related, I have some 3” steel pipes I can sick between suspension areas with the air bags inflated to make sure I don’t get crushed under the motorhome.  They are also handy for holding the coach up while you  change an air bag, that’s what I made them for.

I plan to replace the thermostat and coolant next week to hopefully fix the engine temp issues.   The side radiator looks pretty clean, but it’s really hard to tell for sure.   Any advice on how to clean it, or other things I should check that could cause the engine temp to get so high.   We have been to CO before, and never had temp issues.

One last issue, the dash oil pressure gauge, sometimes the hand goes max off the scale, but the oil pressure has been fine when checked with Aladdin or the silver leaf.

Granville Barker

2005 Dynasty Countessa 

This is a link on how to clean the radiator stack:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/how-to-properly-clean-a-side-radiator-condenser-oil-cooler-cac-501612.html

The oil pressure gauge uses a different sensor than the engine ECU.  The gauge sending unit is a common VDO sending unit with two outputs, one for the gauge and one for the warning light.

It is part number VDO 360 023.

More on the oil pressure gauge:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trying-to-fix-oil-pressure-gauge-on-2004-monaco-signature-350743.html 

A couple of years ago on a very hot day I had heat issues on mountains with my 2001 Dynasty—had never had them before. Turned out part of the radiator complex was bad. Cummins recommended replacing both radiators because of age (less labor cost to do both at same time). Have not had a problem since even pulling a Silverado with Polaris Rzr in the bed. 

I doubt your input speed sensor trouble would have a direct effect on the engine temp. Don't know about your engine but it should have its own speed sensor. Input speed is primarily used for gear selection along with output speed sensor readings. If the tranny was in a wrong gear, you would know. What would worry me, with our ISM, is the engine RPM. I would not run it at 2000 or more going up hill, way past the power curve in my case. Granted, it moves a lot of coolant but also produces more heat and no more power. Worst case, I drop to 4th gear and manage the RPM even if it means going slow. If the tranny needs to go lower, it will. I don't think I ever had to go lower than 4th, manually, to keep the temp in check. Yes, I did overheat once and it makes me sick every time I look at the only entry in Engine Protection tab in Insite that reminds me of it. It only lasted 8s and happened while in cruise and me not even realizing that we are on a very long slight incline. That was many hundreds of engine hours ago and I am much more careful now. 

On 8/15/2020 at 12:37 PM, granvillebarker said:

We decided to take a trip in the old Countessa to Colorado.   Driving across northern TX, the silver leaf jumped to the coolant screen when it hit 215, it climbed up to 220 for a few seconds before I could get it moving back down.   Finally got it under control and checked the fans speed controller, coolant, etc at the next stop all was good.   The next day we moved on to Pueblo and it hit 218 on the biggest climb,   I don’t drive these inclines much so I’m still figuring out what gear I should be in.  It seemed to stay the coolest when I would get the rpms around 2000 - 2200 on the climbs.   

Got to a fuel stop and decided to check the trans level got the dreaded ol -95 message, then when we get to the campground, I crank up after registering and the check-trans light is on.   After a minute or so it let me shift into get and got me to our site.    The diag code said 22 14, issue with Input speed sensor.    I crawled under the coach today and tested the resistance on the input speed sensor, it was in range.   So I pulled the big transmission connector apart cleaned all the contacts with alcohol, put it back together and the oil level sensor is working again and the input speed sensor error is clear.   If your servicing your Allison on a 15 year old coach, I’d recommend cleaning that connector.

Safety related, I have some 3” steel pipes I can sick between suspension areas with the air bags inflated to make sure I don’t get crushed under the motorhome.  They are also handy for holding the coach up while you  change an air bag, that’s what I made them for.

I plan to replace the thermostat and coolant next week to hopefully fix the engine temp issues.   The side radiator looks pretty clean, but it’s really hard to tell for sure.   Any advice on how to clean it, or other things I should check that could cause the engine temp to get so high.   We have been to CO before, and never had temp issues.

One last issue, the dash oil pressure gauge, sometimes the hand goes max off the scale, but the oil pressure has been fine when checked with Aladdin or the silver leaf.

Granville Barker

2005 Dynasty Countessa 

Hi Granville, sorry I can’t help with your issue, but could you please tell me the lengths of the 3” steel pipes?  Do you raise the coach to maximum height then measure the distance next to the air bags where you can insert the pipes?  

Yes, I insert them in on each side of the drive axle, between the big rails.   I’ll measure them next time I dig them out and post pics.   I cut them 1/2” shorter than I really wanted, I plan to weld a 1/2” plate on each end, but they are super strong as is. It’s thick steel pipe we use to build oil pots for pressure sensors for elevated water tanks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 8:33 AM, granvillebarker said:

Do y’all think the engine running hot could have been attributed to the transmission speed sensor issue?   I wish there was an easy way to test it without driving up another mountain pass.   

Granville Barker

2005 Dynasty Countessa

I changed the thermostat and coolant, then checked the hydraulic fan to see if it went full speed with the controller unplugged.   It did not, but In reading about the saurer-Danfoss fan controller, I’m not sure that’s a good test.   

Does anyone know the size/type plugs I need to plug the lines to see if the fan goes full speed?   Mine are 3/8” and 5/16”

flare fittings but I’m not sure about the flare angle.

Can anyone confirm that unplugging the controller on a 2005 dynasty makes there hydraulic fan go full speed?

Granville Barker

2005 Dynasty

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 2:33 PM, pduggs87@gmail.com said:

Hi Granville, sorry I can’t help with your issue, but could you please tell me the lengths of the 3” steel pipes?  Do you raise the coach to maximum height then measure the distance next to the air bags where you can insert the pipes?  

The ones for the rear are 6” and 10”, the ones for the front could have been 12”, but I made them 10”, so I could get away with carrying fewer around.   The front is a bit of a pain, as you have to place them where they won’t pinch a cable or hose and that’s tricky.   

With these lengths my coach is level when sitting on them, and has lots of ground clearance.   

I know you can change rear air bags with these lengths, luckily I haven’t had to change a front one yet, but they should work for that.

Granville Barker

05 Dynasty

C8A753B9-4EC0-4478-AB79-726CD4F3BE42.jpeg

5A936646-CBA7-486E-975D-4FA021159B6E.jpeg

08A70B4B-F99B-4CD9-9581-92C69227C4AC.jpeg

10C23E51-3485-40E4-954A-AD02773EB200.jpeg

D179C949-E77E-4FC0-AB31-49DBC5CF6285.jpeg

Edited by granvillebarker
Tyopos
  • Thanks 1