Norcold fridge

marklazo

We have a 2006 Camelot with the original fridge. It has worked flawlessly for all these years. Last night it seams it has finally died.  Looking for opinions on a replacement. I would like a residential, but I really don’t Know if it’s worth the extra expense if I don’t install more batteries, solar and another inverter. I haven’t had it checked out yet to see if it just needs a minor repair or not. Just preparing for the worst. Anyone here replace their original fridge with a newer version Norcold?

Mark and Patti Lazowsky 06 Camelot

If you install a Haier Fridge such as a model 15 cu/ft you won't have to do any modifications to the enclosure that I know of or you could install a Fisher-Paykel which is larger and more expensive but again no modifications that I know of. Plus you would NOT have to change out your inverter or add more batteries, etc. unless you are mostly a boondocker. I installed a Samsung RF-197 back in 2012 and didn't have to do anything other than increase the height of the old NotSoCold opening.

21 hours ago, marklazo said:

BennieH, Do you have info on where you purchased? I googled it and came up with multiple ones.

Marklazo, I had it installed at JC Refrigeration (they’re the manufacturer) in Shipshewana, IN. Took them 3 hours and that includes fully testing it.

You can also just get the replacement from him.

After 4 (! 😠 !) failures of our Notcold 1200  in 2 years (first 3 were under warranty, the last was gonna be my $4,000!), we finally moved up to a 19cuft Samsung res for the '06 Endeavor PAQ we had at the time.   I can't say how much of an improvement it was, there's no comparison.  Cooldown in an hour, lots of cold ice, way more storage, and on and on.

I understand the Amish/JC conversions are pretty much a plug-and-play, but be sure to look at the other options out there.

Depending on your floorplan, a res-frig could be a real simple job or it could take some work to make it fit.  Maybe even looking at different models to get it in.  I never had an issue with the Samsung getting 'warm' at rest-stops or even overnite-boondocking, if you do a reasonable job of keeping the door closed.  Mine happened to work well with the OEM MSW inverter too, but some don't like them.  If you do a LOT of boondocking, more batteries might be needed.

Consider that your Notcold technology is now 14+ years old, has less insulation and usable space, door seals can't be replaced, etc, etc.  And don't forget the real issue of a possible fire (not a joke, check it out online) - the wood panel had turned to charcoal next the the flue on mine.

My Norcold failed, probably on the verge of fire since there was the yellow dust dispersed around the lower unit.  It never really worked great anyway.

I had to go to extremes to install a Samsung RF18 in my Windsor.  I have the furnace under the Norcold, I had to completely remove and drop it to the floor to gain the 1 5/8" to get enough headroom, which required relocating the exhaust and intake for the furnace. 

But after I was done the fridge cooled down in 2 hours and had substantially more room.   I did do some testing and it ran 8 hours before having to recharge batteries.  I do have 325 watt of solar so that helps.  Either way we usually have to run the generator to keep the dogs cool anyway. 

• 2 months later...

If your Norcold has adequate capacity then I would consider the compressor-type cooling unit from JC Refrigeration.  It gives you all the advantages of a residential unit without the hassle of making one fit the space!  JMHO

Joe