15 year old air compressor finally dies..... need recommendations for a new one

markcalgary

Bought a used hot dog compressor 15 years ago for airing up tires and general garage use.  It had the audacity to die just as I was getting set to air up the tires to spec before a test drive.  Wondering what the current consensus is for a replacement powerful enough to use for the motorhome, and portable enough to keep in a bay.

Thanks

Mark

2002 Diplomat 38

I purchased a pancake compressor rated at 150 psi from Harbor Freight.  Depending on their sales cycle or coupon, about $100.  Since usage is minimal, not concerned about longevity but 5+ years already.  Seems like all the smaller compressors come from China so brand is not too important.

I keep this 150psi trim compressor on board: a Bostitch CAP1512-OF 1.2 Gallon Oil-Free High-Output Trim Compressor

More expensive than the pancake compressors, but fairly quiet. 
It also runs fine on 2000w inverter.
Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

This what I purchased from HD. They periodically have it on sale for $99.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-OF60150HB/303379052

I then went to HF and purchased the following which I put on a slip mount near the compressor. Cost @$60 after 20% off

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-x-50-ft-retractable-hose-reel-62344.html

After adding the necessary fittings, it works great. Don't have to run the motorhome to air up the tanks and when not on shore power, I just run the generator.

• Thanks 1

I meet a guy in Indio, Ca. in 11-2005 at a RV Park who was inflating his coach tires with a  powertank.com . He was a distributor for the product. I purchased a 15# Tank and all the accessories for the use of it. I had the tank filled with Nitrogen, MY choice. It was amazing. Filled coach tires from 105# to 110# in less than -1- minute. I installed it in the coach basement, with quick disconnects, and used a 50' hose to air up the coach and toad from either side of the coach. The tank of nitrogen would last 1 to 1-1/2 years between refills, costing between 12-14$  at Gas Supply businesses around the country as we were Full Timers.  I paid 495$ for it, and  Sold it in Spring of 2014 for 350$.  I would do it again . 

• Thanks 1