Allison 3000 transmission temp sender

Hello all, I've been working on my to do list and since I've had the coach, the transmission temp gauge has not worked on the dash.  It does work in the Aladdin but not in the scan gauge.  I have removed the lead at the transmission, cleaned it and it didn't change.  I think my next step would be to change the sensor out.  I haven't found a replacement yet. Any suggestions on where to order one from?  Tranny model#: E012544

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

Hello all, I've been working on my to do list and since I've had the coach, the transmission temp gauge has not worked on the dash.  It does work in the Aladdin but not in the scan gauge.  I have removed the lead at the transmission, cleaned it and it didn't change.  I think my next step would be to change the sensor out.  I haven't found a replacement yet. Any suggestions on where to order one from?  Tranny model#: E012544

Thank you.

Hi Steven -

Interesting that the Aladdin is showing tranny temp. This would indicate that at least one tranny temp sensor is working and that the Aladdin can read it. This would make me wonder where the 2nd tranny temp sensor is, as that may be the issue.

Or, if there is only one tranny temp sensor, I wonder why the dash temp gauge is not getting the signal that the Aladdin is.

Are you able to read the resistance on the temp sensor at the tranny and compare that reading you get on the wire at the gauge?

Keep us updated!

Jeff

I thought the same thing in ‘05 Safari with C9. The mechanic at Sacramento Truck told me there are two sensors. He heated it up to verify dash gauge is working though far behind the Alladin reading. The reading temps eventually are the same. I’ve seen the dash gauge go up on long hill climbs since then, otherwise in normal driving it doesn’t move. I watch the Alladin screen in these hill climb situations because the dash engine temp gauge climbs into the high range and alarm starts to buzz while the Alladin will show temperature increase, though still ok. I was told the gauges used are not so accurate compared to the Alladin readings. 
I tow a F150 crew cab. 

8 hours ago, Romeo84 said:

Mine just started ticking... like it's going  out.  Im interested to see if there is a resolve to this. Btw what's an Aladdin? 

My Aladdin shows pretty much all engine and transmission info and the display doubles as the camera screen.  There are 2 types of Aladdins to my knowledge.  1) Aladdin Jr-- what i have and 2) Aladdin-- this one adds in house monitoring info from what I've seen. 

11 hours ago, JDStew said:

Hi Steven -

Interesting that the Aladdin is showing tranny temp. This would indicate that at least one tranny temp sensor is working and that the Aladdin can read it. This would make me wonder where the 2nd tranny temp sensor is, as that may be the issue.

Or, if there is only one tranny temp sensor, I wonder why the dash temp gauge is not getting the signal that the Aladdin is.

Are you able to read the resistance on the temp sensor at the tranny and compare that reading you get on the wire at the gauge?

Keep us updated!

Jeff

Jeff, I have a VM w ohms, but am not too familiar w taking those readings. How do I do that?

Thank you, 

Steven

Hi Steven - just watched this video to make sure. When you have the sensor out, set your VM to ohms - about 2000ish range. Attach leads to each pin. Should read some value (1500 ohms or so?). When you hold the sensor, your body heat will change the resistance and should see it lower.

Here’s the link: How to verify oil sensor works

(that’s what I googled for sanity check)

let’s us know what you find and post some pics please 🙂

The Allison manual list three different temperatures from three different senders located in different positions in trans and radiator. You have to know which sender your scan gauge, dash gauge, are wired to in order to set limits. I have just used the lowest temp in the manual to avoid the issue and no problems.

I have owned a '02 and a '07 Endeavor. In both of the coaches
 the transmission temperature gauge showed very little response.
 I did some research and found that Monaco had installed a
 transmission temperature sender with a range of 0 to 400
 degrees. They used a VDO brand sender and I was able to locate a
 VDO sender with a range of 0 to 250 degrees. My Alladin system
 shows normal operating temperature to be less than 185 degrees.
 Most references to max transmission temperature show over 250
 degrees to be detrimental to fluid and transmission life.
 I found the VDO Part# 323-095 sender at the following URL.
 http://store.42draftdesigns.com/250F-Water-Temp-Sender-18-NPT_p_
 90.html.
 I installed the sender with the transmission cold and lost only
 a few ounces of fluid during the sender exchange. The new sender
 is slightly longer than the old one but has not made a
 difference in my operating temperatures. The advantage of having
 the gauge work properly is a quick glance provides quick
 feedback of the temperature while the Alladin screen can be a
 distraction to find the right information.

This will make your gauge have a max of 250 degrees  If your gauge displays just a C mark and a H mark you will be happy. If you gauge displays degree marks the gauge will function but the written marks will not correspond to the temperature.

Dennis Codella

@codelld interesting find!  I cannot get that link to work, could you try again? Do you have a pic of the sender's location on the transmission?

Thank you, Steven 

@JDStew thanks, I watched the video and that makes sense.  

@pulsarjab I'll download the manual and look this over. I did not know there are 3 sensors.  Thank you.