Smart Wheel Puzzle

rpasetto

Noticed this yesterday, but it may have been going on for a while.  Occasionally when turning the wheel the wiper would go on.  Sometimes it's the regular wiper, sometimes just one pulse from the intermittent one.  For a long time I was  thinking this was just clumsy me hitting the button.  During the last long drive I made a conscious effort to avoid the button and I saw this happen a few times.  Also, for quite a while the washer will give a short pulse with not much water and then none at all until I turn it off and back on.  I had thought that was a clog or maybe washer pump going bad.

Is this an indicaton of problem in the key pad, the smartwheel controller or something else... or a coincidence?  Tryung to figure out what to do next.  Meanwhile I will read the VIP diagnosis document I just saw here.

I had the same issue. In the beginning it was just when I would turn the wheel really hard to the left or right while backing in a campsite. Then it got really bad we’re even going down the road in a sharp turn in the road the windshield wipers would go on. Finally I had pull off the road pull the fuse on the wipers to get it to stop. I pulled my steering wheel out and looked for loose wires didn’t find anything obvious wrong with it but I did notice when I had the steering wheel off there was an adjustment for the clockspring readjusted the clock spring put everything back together and so far the windshield wipers seem to be working and not going off sporadically.

D5DCCFB6-207F-4A0C-AEA5-195C0EB75A26.jpeg

34CF5719-B7F7-4B6D-92A4-AC0A0C75A0C1.jpeg

A4B1EA6E-DC15-4A53-8DBA-09111BC84CAF.jpeg

@Kevin, Thanks for the clear picture .  I can't tell, where is that adjustment? on the last picture?

Update.  We thought the problem had to do with the wheel turning but it seems to happen going straight even when concentrating on holding the wheel position straight.  Sometimes we go thru lots of curves with no occurrences.  The only consistent thing so far is  either the wiper on in regular mode or the one time wipe that activates.

Here’s three more pictures I took. I just started taking the thing apart I didn’t even realize it had an adjustment when taking it apart but when I put it back together I read the label on the top where it said to adjust it. I’m getting a front end alignment and I think I might have to adjust my steering wheel so if I have to pull the steering wheel off again I’ll give you more detailed instructions

97164DD5-A8C4-4CAE-B9A3-703490FC7767.jpeg

BB6257A1-F2DD-4CEA-A87A-01C335C32C37.jpeg

8981956B-301C-4567-95C7-5F15734C5AAE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks again, Kevin.  When I went to clean contacts on control box there were burn marks on pin 2 of J12, which I believe is the headlamp power feed.  I don't know if that's related or just another problem.

image.png.d5b227c2cb7a14223673092d9a7d0e10.png     image.png.7e8c923f576b408e06bfb89462fdbfe5.png  second picture of connector on box blurred, 

11 hours ago, rpasetto said:

Thanks again, Kevin.  When I went to clean contacts on control box there were burn marks on pin 2 of J12, which I believe is the headlamp power feed.  I don't know if that's related or just another problem.

image.png.d5b227c2cb7a14223673092d9a7d0e10.png     image.png.7e8c923f576b408e06bfb89462fdbfe5.png  second picture of connector on box blurred, 

Rick,

Time for that extra relay you put on your Dynasty to handle the headlight current.

It was great seeing you guys again on Monday and hope you have safe travels back to Texas.

Now nothing is working from the smart wheel.  Ran through first set of tests in the VIP trouble shooting guide up to the part where it says to check for power at J6 (the 12v wiper power) on the box which is supposed to show 12v.  But J6 on my coach is connected to Ign feed.   Next steps talk about taking steering wheel apart so that will have to wait until coach gets back anyway.

Thinking of jumpering the wiper motors to headlight switch so they work if it rains.  I don't plan to drive in dark anyway.  I could also jury rig IGN power to horn relay via a switch ... raining right now so that will need to wait.

On my controller the relay that drives the Cruise On Output signal stopped working. I wired a fused jumper around it. Whenever it is on , the a cruise is on. Not set or active, but able to be set.

VIp prices the Smartwheel controllers fairly, so I will replace it some time.

Paul

Well I thought I had mine figured out. Today when I move the coach had to turn the wheel real sharp windshield wipers came on only one revolution though and they stopped without me having to push the off button. Better but still not right.

@KevinH,  There's a VIP Diagnostics document  recently added to in the files section.  I've been using it on mine.  On another forum someone mentioned  his problems started  with wipers going on when wheel is turned... (sort of what I was seeing  a few days ago).. but then this post went on to say eventually everything controlled by the VIP wheel stopped working, which is where mine is now.  

Questions:  Could that be the clock spring or SM210 master controller?  Could a flaw in clockspring cause the SM210 to fail?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the problem is not the control unit.  Swapped control units and nothing changed.  went thru the VIP test at the yellow & brown wires at top connector of clock spring VIP guide says I should get 7-10 volts, i get just a few mv. 

Next question: How do I replace clock spring?

Update:  Repeated the tests in the VIP diagnostic guide and got same result, so I removed the column shroud and disconnected the bottom end.  Three of the four wires have continuity; the yellow wire is open;  That's the one I think carries the MUX signal.

Clock spring, #1900043 is on order.

Advice on taking column apart will be appreciated.  Hopefully others here have done this.

Edited by rpasetto
updated