Parking brake does not disengage

When I am parked for a couple of days when I am ready to leave my parking brake when pushed it does nothing. My brakes are frozen up. It will take me a couple of minutes putting the coach in gear so I can drive. 
Is there a remedy or how do I fix it. Is there a grease that I need to use. 
I am afraid that it won’t disengage and I might hurt the engine. 

John 2009 Camelot kfq 

J

I suppose that you have enough air. Yes, there is a number of grease points on the brake mechanism to make it run smooth. Your manual should describe the grease type to use as well as the greasing procedures and they differ between disk and drum brakes, which ever you have. For me it is a clay based grease and a quite specific procedure. It is unlikely that the brakes would just rust in while sitting for couple of days. They do require regular maintenance and I do it once a year.

Edited by Ivan K

If you have front disk brakes ,on each of the Caliper's (each front wheel) and you shine a light in through the rim you will see two small hole's on each end of the caliper. Spray some Anti rust (Free) is what I use ,do not spray on the disk or pads holes only, on my 99 the right side front is part of the parking brake which will stick if not maintained. I lubricate those slides on the caliper couple times a year.

Wayne 1999 Monaco signature 

6 hours ago, jfasano88 said:

When I am parked for a couple of days when I am ready to leave my parking brake when pushed it does nothing. My brakes are frozen up. It will take me a couple of minutes putting the coach in gear so I can drive. 
Is there a remedy or how do I fix it. Is there a grease that I need to use. 
I am afraid that it won’t disengage and I might hurt the engine. 

John 2009 Camelot kfq 

J

Has it been raining? Is the moisture content of the air high? This sounds like the brakes may be rusting to the drum. Do you have drum brakes on the rear? I am not familiar with what is on a 2009 Camelot but when we had our coach parked outside there were a few occasions when this happened to us and we had to rock the transmission from reverse to drive a few times.

I waited until the air pressure is up. (Over 100 psi.

John 2009 42’ Camelot kfq 

Thanks for the information I have not maintained my brakes. I will lubricant the brakes and check for problems.Yes it was raining for about 1 week straight 

thanks again John 42’ Camelot kfq 

You may have a failing brake valve. The one I'm referring to is located at the rear axle or could be on the rear air tank. When you push the dash valve it activates the slave valve that directs air to the maxi brake chambers. These valves get old and gunk inside makes them stick. You just need to replace a bad one. You can locate this valve by following the air lines from the chambers up to the valve. 

Eventually this valve will stick and you won't be able to move. Or you'll leave those long black streaks running to the shoulder.

5 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

Has it been raining? Is the moisture content of the air high? This sounds like the brakes may be rusting to the drum. Do you have drum brakes on the rear? I am not familiar with what is on a 2009 Camelot but when we had our coach parked outside there were a few occasions when this happened to us and we had to rock the transmission from reverse to drive a few times.

I have had the same problem several times, and it was the brake shoes bonded to the drum from being parked while wet.  Like Bob, I just had to rock the coach a bit and suddenly BAM and they would break loose. It can be a little scary applying power while the brakes are locked, tho.  But be ready to apply brakes right away once they break loose. 

I have seen this problem discussed on this site and others. The problem is most often caused by the the drum and shoe rusting when parked in rain or very humid conditions. If the space in front of and behind the coach is free, rocking the coach gently usually breaks the brakes free. I have also read recommendations to ride the brakes gently shortly before parking to warm the shoes and drums to drive off the water.

Roger S 2006 Endeavor PDQ