Intermittent starting 03 Executive

Grampy OG

My 2003 Executive is experiencing random starting issues. I have ruled out the battery. Turning the key to the ON position all dash lights come on just fine. Turning the key to the START position intermittently gives me nothing. A few times clicking the key back and forth and the engine will fire right up with zero lag meaning the engine batteries are fine. I seem to remember a similar problem on my 2002 Dynasty and I think it had to do with a funky solenoid in the rear run bay. I can't remember which solenoid it was though. I don't know if I am chasing that or if my ignition tumbler/switch is going bad. 

Any thoughts my always ready problem solvers?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken

I have the same coach and ex problem. The key triggers 2 solenoids and the start circuit. The 2 sol. are in the front run bay upper left location. One is accessory and the other ignition. A weak solenoid will sometimes work, it tool 1 1/2 years for ours to go so dead that I could find  and replace it. Check it for continuity and if not 100% replace it.

JoeB 03 Exec

Ken, I agree with above answers, especially Highwayman. Solenoid on starter or cabling to that solenoid would be my troubleshooting starting point. Most likely, your starter is current limited and that explains the intermittent operation. A loose or corroded cable between the battery and the starter solenoid will do exactly what you describe. If you ignore a bad connection on the starter or starter solenoid it could eventually burn through a connection post and force you to replace a part. The ignition switch would be the last item on my troubleshooting checklist.

Thanks for the replies folks but can somebody send a picture or pictures of which one/ones are the starter solenoid. This is not a Freightliner so it is Roadmaster so that probably precludes the Freightliner thoughts.

Thanks Ken

I had the same problem with my 03 Beaver. Turn the key over to start position and nothing. Mine was the key switch. After pulling it out of dash was able to find one at Napa. I think it was a GM part. They ordered that morning and it was there in the afternoon. Fixed the problem. It's been about three years now. I can't imagine a motorhome having enough miles on it to have starter problem unless it was corrosion on a connection someplace.

Activating the starter with a weak battery will burn the contacts eventually by sparking as it can not produce enough force to close the contact reliably while engaging the gear. Even worse when the solenoid starts clicking as the starter tries to rotate. Not really a function of mileage.

I don't have a picture of the 'first in line' starter solenoid handy but ours looks similar to a salesman solenoid and is in our driver side rear electrical panel. Different year and model but it is a possibility...

I hope you figure it out. I have the same problem every once in a while. I've found that twisting the key from On to Start briskly seems to help, but I can hear a solenoid clicking either way, so I don't think it's the switch. 

I've never observed the problem while starting from the engine bay.

Cheers,

Walter

Edited by wamcneil