Plastic spacer between wheels

Anybody have plastic spacers between steel inner and aluminum outer duallies?

Had a independent heavy duty mechanic working on my drive axle seals recently, and he told me I should get a couple for the next time my wheels are removed.

He said most trucks he works on has these spacers to eliminate galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

I don't know what style of fastening system you have on your dual wheels. I'm not sure when the industry changed wheel mounts. Your coach may have come from the factory with the different wheels. If you have the pilot style that incorporated 1 wheel stud and a flanged style nut that fastens both wheels then a barrier between the dissimilar wheels will work. If your set up uses the the wheel stud with thimbles for the inner steel wheel and a chamfered nut to hold the outer aluminum wheel on, I would recommend then that you don't run the different wheels as a combination. I have had plenty issues on some older style truck and trailer wheel set ups using steel inner with the polished aluminum outers.  I was never able to find out why, but the thimbles would break and the outer wheel and tire would come off. Bad situation. I switched back to all aluminum duals or all steel duals and never mixed the 2 again. 

If your wheels are hub-piloted set up than you have no problem with the plastic spacer. If you don't use that the wheels can get corroded together enough that they are difficult to pull off. There are even special tools made to separate them when this happens. If your wheels use the studs on the inside wheel and the nuts on the outside you have to be careful to use the right inner studs. An aluminum wheel is thicker than a steel wheel. If the stud is not long enough the nut will nut turn down on the stud enough. A good commercial truck tire place should be able to walk you through this. Aluminum wheel next to a steel wheel does reguire some care especially if you are in an area where they salt the roads.

1 hour ago, cterryl@sbcglobal.net said:

If your wheels are hub-piloted set up than you have no problem with the plastic spacer. If you don't use that the wheels can get corroded together enough that they are difficult to pull off. There are even special tools made to separate them when this happens. If your wheels use the studs on the inside wheel and the nuts on the outside you have to be careful to use the right inner studs. 

Studs are in the brake drums. Both inner and outer rims have holes.