No warm air {heat} while driving from aqua hot

Woody O

I had my water hoses from the Aqua Hot to the engine block replaced recently. I took an 7 hr drive and noticed no warm air coming from the vents. The fans are working, but no warm air. When I got to the resort, I checked the two hoses from the engine block as they were going into the aqua hot and they were cold.  On the way here, I even turned on the aqua hot engine preheat and yet the hoses were still cold. It all worked prior to hose replacement.  What is my problem.

5 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Did whoever replaced the hoses maybe install shut-off valves back at the engine?

I called them and they said no to installing shut off valves in the lines.

Sounds like the lines might be air bound. Although, I would think that the engine water pump would force this to clear. I have not had to deal with this so hopefully someone with personal experience with this will chime in 

8 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Sounds like the lines might be air bound. Although, I would think that the engine water pump would force this to clear. I have not had to deal with this so hopefully someone with personal experience with this will chime in 

My thought's exactly!

I think I would pull one of the hoses that come from the engine off of the Aquahot. Then I would attach a short length of hose to it so I could get the end elevated higher that the hose run. Then I would dump a good amount of antifreeze into it, pinch it and reconnect it to the Aquahot and fire up the engine and see if it gets warm after a bit. Also, if your Coach has the engine preheat option on the Aquahot I would turn that on at the same time to aid in getting the circulation going 

Edited by Chargerman

30 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I think I would pull one of the hoses that come from the engine off of the Aquahot. Then I would attach a short length of hose to it so I could get the end elevated higher that the hose run. Then I would dump a good amount of antifreeze into it, pinch it and reconnect it to the Aquahot and fire up the engine and see if it gets warm after a bit. Also, if your Coach has the engine preheat option on the Aquahot I would turn that on at the same time to aid in getting the circulation going 

Thanks, I will try that.

4 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

A classic example of not testing the work done before leaving the premise.  Chuck B

For sure and I’m sure that he has learned a lesson but that’s not helping him now. Just sayin. 

20 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Swapping the hoses is sure a lot easier to try first. Good thought Bob. 

does your coach have engine preheat Woody?

Yes, and I tried it today and the two hoses were cold when I touched them when I arrived at the campground.

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

This was feeling the hoses at the AH unit?

yes, about 12" from the Aquahot unit itself.

3 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Just confirm that when on that the circulator pump is indeed running

I was thinking that when running down the road, you are using the engine water pump. ?????

When I changed out my Aqua-Hot boiler fluid some years ago, during the flushing of the system, I got Zone 1 air locked but the bathroom (zone 2) and bedroom (zone 3) were not. This happened ONLY because I made the mistake of turning on the heat exchangers in zone 1 when the system fluid was empty. Thereby draining some of the zone 1 fluid from the loop.

Once the boiler was full, zone one was cold whereas zone 2 & 3 were hot.

You most likely need to crack the hoses at each of the heat exchangers to bleed off any air in the system. Then recheck your boiler fluid level to make sure it is FULL when hot.

10 hours ago, Woody O said:

yes, about 12" from the Aquahot unit itself.

I was thinking that when running down the road, you are using the engine water pump. ?????

Yes, when running down the road the engine water pump is moving the fluid through the Aquahot. My thought about turning on the engine preheat also while the engine is running is that it may help get things moving. 
I regards to Richards points above that would be an issue if you changed your boiler fluid. Was this changed also?  By your original post it sounded like the only work that was done was the replacement of the two hoses from the Aquahot to the engine. Is this accurate?

11 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Yes, when running down the road the engine water pump is moving the fluid through the Aquahot. My thought about turning on the engine preheat also while the engine is running is that it may help get things moving. 
I regards to Richards points above that would be an issue if you changed your boiler fluid. Was this changed also?  By your original post it sounded like the only work that was done was the replacement of the two hoses from the Aquahot to the engine. Is this accurate?

I only had the two hoses replaced. The aqua hot works off 110 and diesel just fine. Its trying to heat coach while using the engine fluid that is not working. I think I it has air trapped in it and therefore fluid is not circulating.  I think I will try what Chargerman recommended which was to remove the hoses and fill it with antifreeze and then reattach and try again. Your thoughts?

On 2/6/2021 at 7:08 AM, Woody O said:

I only had the two hoses replaced. The aqua hot works off 110 and diesel just fine.

If all zones are working on diesel and electric, then I don't see how there could be a vapor lock in the lines.  I would think it has to be in the switch for the engine heat!  I am very new to all this and hope my thought is not way off base.