AC Soft Start

Have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, so coming's up on 18 years. AC's have worked fine, and all I've had to do is tighten units a couple of times. Saw something yesterday online about a product for RV AC's called Soft Start RV. Suppose to reduce the surge at start-up, and allow one to even run 2 AC's on 30 amps. ? That's what they advertise. I've had technicians try and sell me "soft start" gadgets for home AC, which they say stops the "clump" you hear at start-up. I'm wondering if these devices reduce the "power" coming to the AC after start-up, and may damage unit long term. Appreciate any thoughts/comments. Incidentally, a couple of years ago I bought a Wackoproducts RV AC Silencer for front AC, and it REALLY works slick. $200.

Bob.....2003 HR Endeavor

I have fried my 30/50 dogbone trying to use both A/C's on a 30 amp service. The A/C units have a sharp high-amperage draw when the compressor starts up. As I understand it, the soft start device softens the spike in current draw at start-up. Might well be worth the investment!

I have the soft start on both my A/Cs.

It was easy to install with the directions they give, and I can tell the difference on compressor start up for sure. 

I have not had to run both A/Cs on 30 amps yet though, but I don't anticipate any issues. I plan to turn the Aqua Hot electric part off, and will turn off one A/C when I turn my microwave on just to be safe, but I think that is normal?

15 hours ago, trailmug said:

Wonder if it could help with my issue of the transfer switch failing to select the genset with A/Cs on. Operator error, but still. 🙂

On both of our coaches we were told to turn all appliances OFF before connecting/disconnecting shore power.  Wait until the transfer switch pops before turning back on.  This is especially applicable to the AC's and microwave.

6 hours ago, 6Wheels said:

On both of our coaches we were told to turn all appliances OFF before connecting/disconnecting shore power.  Wait until the transfer switch pops before turning back on.  This is especially applicable to the AC's and microwave.

Yeah, I'd think switching under a load like that would be bad for the transfer stitch and the loads. I turn all my big stuff off before plugging/unplugging/starting generator

On 2/18/2021 at 10:01 AM, Corkman said:

I have not had to run both A/Cs on 30 amps yet though, but I don't anticipate any issues. I plan to turn the Aqua Hot electric part off, and will turn off one A/C when I turn my microwave on just to be safe, but I think that is normal?

Don't forget the battery charger. The charger can contribute a lot to the AC load when you plug in and it's bulk charging. 

With 2 ACs running, three's not much left out of the 30a service.