Air Leak - help in identifying valve

mandms59

All,

Need help in identifying air valve type and replacement.  When I parked the MH ( 07 Diplomat 40 SKQ) at house we are staying at temporarily.  I could here a slow air leak.  As it was late I chocked the wheels and came out this morning to track down. 

The valve leaking is on Driver side of MH in bay where ac unit and hydraulic leveling system located on the front wall.  There are two valves there (same type)  the lower one is leaking as shown on photos.   I went to parts list as thought maybe it was the ride height leveling system valves for back???  Did not look the same as photos.

I do not have an air system schematic for my coach and did not see anything in download section on website ( unles I was searching in wrong place). I am not the most familiar with air system operations in general.  Hoping someone here can point me in right direction.

Thanks for any assistance/guidance.

Mark

199587919_AirValvelocation_07DiplomatLftSiderearbaynexttowheelwell.thumb.jpg.478aaa723dc2277006875f90ba290906.jpg

1060523944_closeupairvalves07Diplomat.thumb.jpg.5179846d66f628f129d2ec02a362fba5.jpg

143138573_Airleaklowervalveafrontofcase_07diplomat.thumb.jpg.d778234d471aa289e574f98b483d2b57.jpg

Edited by mandms59
cleanup photos

Not sure what you call that valve but it is not the ride height valve. The are located close to the axles. I have the same coach but it will be tomorrow before I can look at mine to see if I can figure it out. Hopefully someone here can help. You might try IR2, it usually gets lots of responses in a hurry.

3 hours ago, DavidL said:

David,

I went out and repeated the test to confirm.  The bubbles look to be coming out of the air filter (nose cone) see green circle below. 

I sprayed right at the base of the valve where the brass fitting protrudes and did not get any bubbles ... as I moved up ( to the left) to next joint that seems to be where leak is coming from.

Does this mean that internal valve has failed and air is escaping out the filter end? Are the filter ends reusable? or is that another part I need to order along with the exhaust valve?

I take it that the valve unit is housed in the silver colored bracket? 

I did not have right tools handy this afternoon to pull out screws/bolts and see if what Ivan stated above/directed me to was the correct part yet.... It looked correct and I made assumption that valve was encapsulated in the silver bracket.

Just to confirm - to replace the valve I need to bleed off full air system and not just rear tank before disconnecting the air line?

R/

Mark

1080062676_extremecloseupairvalvemarkup07Diplomat.thumb.jpg.57c6328d73a409bb297817d6b91273c1.jpg

Edited by mandms59
updated query

So the next test would be to ensure that no voltage is going to the solenoid.  Back track the wire until you find it's connector and disconnect it and check the bubbles again.  If the bubbles are coming out of the filter when no voltage, then the valve has an internal leak.  Might just be dirt that is keeping the valve from completely closing.  I would remove the filter and spray some carb cleaner.  Then cycle the valve a few times by applying 12 volts.

If that doesn't reseal it, then drain the tank down (keep the valve open) and remove the valve.  You should then inspect inside to see if there is anything keeping it from closing.  Or just order the new valve today, and replace it because it's cheap enough.

52 minutes ago, DavidL said:

So the next test would be to ensure that no voltage is going to the solenoid.  Back track the wire until you find it's connector and disconnect it and check the bubbles again.  If the bubbles are coming out of the filter when no voltage, then the valve has an internal leak.  Might just be dirt that is keeping the valve from completely closing.  I would remove the filter and spray some carb cleaner.  Then cycle the valve a few times by applying 12 volts.....

David,

Thanks for the T/S procedures... I will give them a go tomorrow as it will help improve my knowledge on the system.  All else fails I can always order a new valve as you stated. 

R/Mark 

I would think its an airbag dump valve and part of the leveling system.  Have someone listen while the air dump switch by the driver is activated.

You don't need to go under the coach to check these valves. Open the AC radiator access door and they are right there above the Jack leveling valves and fluid tank . So no safety issue if that what the concern was.

• Like 1

All,

It is air exhaust/dump valve for our suspension system and located/accessable where Gary L stated above.  After releasing all the system air in tanks, I was able to remove and clean valve as David L suggested above.  Temporarily reassembled and tested for leaks - works and holds pressure... cycled dump valve many times to confirm proper operation.

I need to get some Permatex  High Temp thread sealant to complete the reassembly ... only have standard PTFE tape in my tool box.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

R/Mark

Glad you got it repaired. I am just now replacing the air dryer filter and valve body assembly  that's in the same area as it was leaking air . Hope to have new parts tomorrow.

Great to have this Forum so we can help each other.

Gary L

23 hours ago, mandms59 said:

All,

It is air exhaust/dump valve for our suspension system and located/accessable where Gary L stated above.  After releasing all the system air in tanks, I was able to remove and clean valve as David L suggested above.  Temporarily reassembled and tested for leaks - works and holds pressure... cycled dump valve many times to confirm proper operation.

I need to get some Permatex  High Temp thread sealant to complete the reassembly ... only have standard PTFE tape in my tool box.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

R/Mark

PTFE Tape will work fine.  Just ensure you don't wrap it around the edge to where it can tear off and get into the air system.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, vanwill52 said:

Hmmm...we seem to be overdue for the safety lecture...

😃

Thanks Van.  It's nice to know that SOMEONE is listening to me. 😉👌