Roof sagging

Guest terry05dip

Guest terry05dip

Looking for information. This is on a 05 Dip. I recently got on the roof and notice some minor concave areas. Upon further inspection, the metal exterior roof and the under styrofoam seem to have a gap ( my limited opinion). Especially closer to the edge. I went ahead and pull the rear air conditioner to try to see between the two. Around that area the metal and styrofoam is glued tightly together. I have done maintenance as necessary.  I have no known leaks. The coach has been garaged its entire life. Could this be because of the age of the coach and the styrofoam deteriorating? Any other ideas?    

Guest sunriseranch2000

Fellow Campers, We had an '04Dynasty with no roof problems and bought a new '05Dynasty produced in Coberg. Drove it across country to SC and found all three roof ACs had sunk into the roof and water was pounding around them. Took it to Florida for warranty repair and was told by Monaco to bring it back to Coberg. The roof design had been changed for the '05 Monaco's. They added extra roof framing around the ACs to raise them back up. It was NOT an easy job.

Good luck,

Bob and Sunny Penland

17 hours ago, terry05dip said:

Hard to see in photos. I can push down on the roof and get about 3/4 in off play.6B24EB59-FDCC-479E-9DF8-E67C0CAF3090_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.29ffd403f40793034032ee9e81aef347.jpeg1FF0BDCF-A3D0-4BAD-A213-2F628F1A1C46_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ff0f602a646c28bc82cbd49826507629.jpeg

We have and 2006 Diplomat and ours is a lot worse than yours. The roof structure is an aluminum frame with crossmembers. Foam insulation is placed in the open areas of the frame and the entire roof is covered with plywood and fiberglass. The plywood does not seem to be thick enough and over time the roof will sag between the crossmembers. 

Terry,

As Bob said, some of us have it worse, or different but similar to yours.  I am including a photo that I took of our '06 Endeavor that shows "ridges" across the motorhome. While this is not sagging like yours is, the fault with this coach was the thin sheets of luan underneath that separated from the supporting metal frame and bend upwards over time where the luan sheets meet. Bad adhesive job? I have identified 4 of these on my coach and a previous Monaco owner, by the tag of "Flyer" had a similar problem and went back to Harrisburg, Oregon to have it repaired under warranty. They replaced the roof but it appeared shortly afterwards!  Apparently he was told by Kay Toolson that it did not need to be replaced and that it was normal.  13 years after we have owned this coach the raised ridges are still there, they have not gotten appreciably worse and there are no leaks. Normal?  I don't think so, but I do not think it is a major problem as the filon has enough flex to withstand the upwards bending of the luan sheets underneath them.  I routinely inspect them for micro tears but have not seen any since we have owned the rig. I try to avoid walking on them when up there but I occasionally do step on them without damage. Again, this may be different than your sunken parts.  As well, the gap you are feeling on the sides of the roof is normal as the roof is one piece and "floats" on top of the frame trusses with nothing but the appliance covers and the weight of them holding them down. They are secured to the metal sidewall frames with screws, that do happen to rust, but the soft feel is normal when pressing down with your hand on the part that laps over each side of the motorhome. The front and rear caps are separate pieces the are sealed with eternabond tape to the one piece roof.

2006 Endeavor.jpg

17 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Bob, Cob"U"rg vs Cob"E"rg.  City founders are sensitive people....😁..Dennis

Now I see. Good catch. It is amazing what the human brain will tolerate when reading text. You can have half the words drastically misspelled and the brain still knows what the message is. Maybe Bob's fingers got a little silly on the keyboard. Mine do that all the time and if I don't proof read I look like the backward Hillbilly I almost became. Seems as I get older when I type my brain swaps the position of letters like bcak for back. Getting old is not for sissies!

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Guy,   I'm not Bob but I'll try.   Dennis was proof reading and found that Coburg was misspelled as Coberg,  most people don't know it's wrong or care. I still haven't   quite figured out the O for the Ducks though,  must be west coast talk.  Spelling and pronouncing city names gets touchy sometimes, For instance there is a small city   near Austin here in Tx named  Burnet,  now most of us pronounce it Bur-net, but locals will tell you quickly that it is pronounced Burn-it.  Makes no sense to me, but I   don't live there.

I probably shouldn't be posting because I know my writing wont stand up to even a little scrutiny.

Ray,

I guess he was replying, not to the thread topic which was Roof Sagging but, to a town in Oregon that was misspelled twice by previous posts.

I get the U in Coburg, not E as in Coberg, but still do not see the reason for the O in Ducks?  Unless many people call them Docks?  Or is it their season record of 0 wins, which makes even less sense as they are 4-3 this season?

Thanks for clarifying the Coburg part.

When I installed my solar I was able to flex the roof up and down where the panels were attached to the roof near the center because I now had something to pull up. This led to the discovery that the center sloped roof is not attached to the flat ceiling cross beams which are on 4' centers. It is attached where there is additonal structure like A/Cs and vents of course.

Eventually I added long aluminum L brackets positioned fore/aft and secured them to the ceiling beams with  2.5" SS screws and then ran an additional support brackets to the panels. 

Guest Ray Davis

Thanks Justin or is JD, either way welcome to the group.   I was toying with those things in my mind but was sure I had it mixed up, thank you.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, Ray Davis said:

Thanks Justin or is JD, either way welcome to the group.   I was toying with those things in my mind but was sure I had it mixed up, thank you.

Either way. Mom says Justin, Dad says JD. 

I’ll try and stay on topic. LOL 

I have lots to learn, I have roof sag around back AC.