Correct fuel filters for ISL 400

Our 2003 Holiday Rambler Imperial (RR8S chassis) has an ISL 400 engine. The engine manual only gives the part number for a single fuel filter, but our rig has two fuel filters. The manual calls for a Fleetguard FS1022 (10 micron), which I assume would be for the secondary filter. But what should we use for the primary filter? The Roadmaster chassis manual doesn't give a part number for this. Thanks for your help with this!

On our 8.3L ISC the book did not have the correct filters in it either. Previous owner had written them in and comparing them to what was on the coach, they were the same as his notes. Since it was running great, I just put the same ones that were on it back on. Yours may be different, but mine has Fleetguard FS5488 and FS1003. I also carry to spares with me.

To answer Bob U's good question, I can't just look at what's on the rig for either of the filters because I've now learned that the last shop that changed them (in Ohio) put the wrong filters on. However I've finally found what I feel is a reliable answer to my question. I called Lazydays in Wildwood, FL (they were Alliance before Lazydays recently bought them, and Monaco's factory-owned shop in Florida before that. Many of the employees have been there a long time), and was told that the original setup by Monaco for my rig was the Fleetguard FS1022 for the secondary filter, which is what the manual calls out for the (single) filter, and a Racor S3201P for the primary filter. The S3201P crosses to a NAPA FIL600212. Both the S3201P and the FIL600212 are 30 micron filters, that use the clear plastic bowl on the bottom. When we took our rig to Cummins in Syracuse, NY they installed a Fleetguard FS1212 for the primary filter, which is what Fleetguard crosses the S3201P to, but the FS1212 is a 20 micron filter without the clear bowl on the bottom. We had just bought the rig (used) then, and I don't remember what primary filter it had when we got it, but someone along the way switched the rig away from the original configuration, and threw the plastic bowl away in the process. So now I've bought a Racor S3201P from Diesel Filters Online, and an equivalent to a RK30475 plastic bowl assembly (made by Marpac) on eBay. Oh, and a Fleetguard FS1022 on Amazon. Too much detail? Sorry! I'm just hoping this helps some other Monacoers. Thanks!

P.S. The Ohio shop put a 14 micron filter on as the primary (should have been 30), and a 2 micron filter on as the secondary (should have been 10). Too easy to clog up, I would think. Monaco and Cummins chose the 30 and 10 for a reason.

Andy,

My ISC-350 uses those exact same filters for the primary (Racor S3201P) and secondary (FS1022). I now purchase my own fuel filters because the Racor S3201P was so hard to find. Luckily the shop I have my engine service done at allows me to bring all of my own filters.

In the past I was using Speedco for service and they NEVER had any filter for the primary plus I always watched to make sure that they never disposed of my plastic bowl. It is quite yellow now so maybe I will invest in a new one now that I have a part number.

Napa (Gold) has part number FIL600212, which is made by Wix, and the Wix part number is WF10212. Lazydays Wildwood Parts Dept told me the NAPA (Wix) is equivalent to the Racor S3201P. I see they are all 30 micron filters, that use the same bowl. I chose to buy the Racor filter from Diesel Filters Online for $29.65 plus $11.10 shipping because that was the cheapest option I could find, and because I would then have the exact original (by Monaco/HR) filter. If anyone knows of a cheaper option for buying one of these (Racor, NAPA, Wix) filters I'd like to know about it, as $40.75 for a filter seems a bit high (although I get it that it's protecting a very expensive engine).

The prices I found for the Racor bowl were all pretty high for a plastic bowl. EBay offered some cheap Chinese knock-offs, but I didn't want to go that route. The Marpac one on eBay seemed a lot more legit, and half the price of a Racor bowl.

Just to add more info, the manual for our 2003 Windsor with ISL370 specs Fleetguard FS1242 (20 micron with a bowl part 3831871S) as primary and FS1022 (10 micron) as secondary.  I've always guessed that the filters are more specific to the chassis (also RR8S) rather than the engine, as the 03 Windsor could have an ISC350 or ISL370, but never been able to verify that.

I recently replaced my fuel filters for my 2001 Dynasty ISC 350.  I got a Kit from Amazon that included Primary, Secondary and Coolant Filters (Including plastic bowl) for $65.00. The fuel filters were Fleetguard FS 1242 and FS 1022. 

7 minutes ago, StephenW said:

The fuel filters were Fleetguard FS 1242 and FS 1022. 

The FS 1242 is not the original one that came from the factory on that engine. Someone has replaced it with the FS 1242 generic water/separator filter which is a 20 micron no bowl filter versus the Racor S3201P 30 micron filter with a clear bottom bowl.

The FS 1242 will work fine however I still like the clear bowl so I can visually see if there is any crap being collected in the primary filter.

If I'm reading it right, Cummins Filtration website shows the FS19738 as a fuel/water separator, and shows no info about its filtration. Is it just a fuel/water separator? Racor part S3201T the 10 micron version of the S3201 filter, it seems surprising that the factory would install a 10 micron as the primary filter, that's the same micron rating as the secondary filter on my rig.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 1:00 PM, Florainer said:

If I'm reading it right, Cummins Filtration website shows the FS19738 as a fuel/water separator, and shows no info about its filtration. Is it just a fuel/water separator? Racor part S3201T the 10 micron version of the S3201 filter, it seems surprising that the factory would install a 10 micron as the primary filter, that's the same micron rating as the secondary filter on my rig.

My 08' model (2007 built 400 ISL) uses a 10 micron primary filter (WS), and a 5 micron secondary filter.

96 Evo - May I ask where you found the specs that say you should use a 10 micron primary and a 5 micron secondary fuel filter on your rig? It's just surprising to me that Monaco and Cummins would make such changes, considering it's the same engine as mine. You might also try running this by the parts department at Lazydays in Wildwood (The Villages), Florida, as their experience and knowledge of Monacos is most likely one of the best in the country.

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

My 08' model (2007 built 400 ISL) uses a 10 micron primary filter (WS), and a 5 micron secondary filter.

Interesting.  On the 2002 ISC engine the owners manual recommends 20 um primary (Fleetguard FS1242) and 10 um secondary (Fleetguard FS1022).  Maybe the newer engines use smaller nozzle holes for better spray / economy?

- bob

My primary came with a Donaldson with the clear bowl.  I like the fact I can see the fuel (and all the junk) in the filter.  The Donaldson seems to be a reputable filter.  Just going by what the manual says (HR Owners Manual).  Two owners and who knows how many changes ago. 

- bob

4 hours ago, Florainer said:

96 Evo - May I ask where you found the specs that say you should use a 10 micron primary and a 5 micron secondary fuel filter on your rig? It's just surprising to me that Monaco and Cummins would make such changes, considering it's the same engine as mine. You might also try running this by the parts department at Lazydays in Wildwood (The Villages), Florida, as their experience and knowledge of Monacos is most likely one of the best in the country.

Got these spec's from the owners manual.

I use the same pair of filters as Hardy 1000 mentioned in the 3rd post of this thread.

Some more numbers. I have an ISL that was built in August 2006. Water separator/filter is a Fleetguard FS19596 and is rated at 7 microns. My secondary filter is a Fleetguard FF5488 rated at 5 microns.

• 2 years later...