Air bags on rear road side slow to inflate

I've recently noticed that when the airbags on my coach inflate the front air bags fill up pretty quick along with the curb side but then on the rear road side the bags take much longer and I don't think they even fully inflate.  I have 10 bags and the 2 in the middle at the back looked a little strange, even malformed at the bottom so I used the leveling control panel to add air to the back and road side and the air bags inflated fine and everything looked normal.

Anyone know what might be going on here?

Thanks

Mike B

01 Dynasty with tag axle

Mike,

the leveling valves may need adjusting. Also, there are rubber grommets that connect the leveling rods that may be failing. There are two different kinds, you need to identify what kind you have. Use extreme caution if you get under coach. Make sure you block coach up so it does not come down on you. If not comfortable working under coach, take it to a professional. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my coach in today to get this issue checked out and they couldn't find any problems with the ride height valves, air bags or the air system in general.  Now I'm wondering if it could be something related to the HWH leveling system itself, I'm hoping it's not something to do with the control unit as I went through that issue back in 2010 where it was sent to HWH for repair.  Has anyone experienced this kind of issue which was related to the control unit?  Or does anyone have other thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks

Mike B

01 Dynasty

I have an 01 Dynasty and took it to the cummings/truck repair shop. After charging me $1000 for diagnostics, and still not fixing the problem, I took it home, followed the HWH troubleshooting guide, and determined it was the control box. I sent the box to HWH and for $113 they repaired it and problem solved. What's worse it I took it in for the rear traveling leveling system not working and they told me the front right exhaust valve was wrong. What are they doing in the front when the issue was in the back. So, just by chance the front right exhaust valve was also bad, but the replaced the front "left" exhaust valve. I later replaced the front right exhaust valve myself. Easy Peasy. Many places think they know what they are doing, but in fact we end up paying them $180 to "learn" how to work on them. When I raised my concern they told me: " Our guys is so good that HWH calls him when they can't figure something out". BS

I think the shop was on the level, they only charged me $130 to go over the air bags, ride height valves and make sure there's no leaks in the air system.  They didn't touch the HWH system cause that is not their expertise as far as I know.

Out of curiosity, when you sent your control box in for repair, did you remove it?  If so, how difficult is it to remove and replace?  Is it pretty straight forward as in take a picture then unplug a bunch of connectors and when you get it back plug them in again?

Thanks

Mike B

01 Dynasty

Good to know, I just don't trust any of these shops anymore, it's especially bad here in Canada, most shops up here are crooks.  When I had the problem with my control unit 10 years ago they sent it to HWH to be fixed and charged $2500 for a new one.  Lucky I had an extended service agreement which covered the cost but still, the guy was a frigging thief.  It's funny, just how you said, you wanted the rear checked and they checked the front, here I wanted an oil change and some maintenance like a chassis lube and for some reason he felt the need to check my leveling system.  That owner of the shop was the main mechanic but was he a piece of work, he tried to get the control box from a Signature to work with mine cause he obviously had it in stock and wanted to get rid of it and he mucked around for 3 days on it and I asked at one point if he could just bypass it so we could get back on the road but he said no, in the end, guess what he did when he couldn't get the Signature one to work, he bypassed it.   He really milked it, probably took in more money in those 3 days than he did in a month.  When I think back, it's sickening.