Valid (power gear) air level--aux compressor

l have an 08 dynasty with the Valid (Power Gear) air levelling system.  My question is this:  with the system turned off should there still be power to the aux compressor.  I always thought that with the system turned OFF after I level, the aux compressor would not come on. However, it does--while everything is turned off.  It is not a problem with the pressure switch as that works fine;  I pulled the fuse, but when I replace the fuse the compressor comes on.(with the system off) I don't think that is supposed to happen or am I wrong.  Now if the system is turned ON then the compressor is energized although it may not come on because the tank pressure is ok.  Thanks if anyone can answer this for me.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

On my coach, when the power is OFF, nothing works. That said, it was recommended the system not be shut off. According to the mfg the computer works best if left in the on position unless the coach is in storage. My compressor is above the rear axle and becomes annoying if the coach decides to re-level at 3 in the morning.....I know this may not answer your question, but it's the way it works in my coach.....Dennis

I have an 08 Dynasty as well. The compressor did come on once with system off. My compressor runs very little and sometimes the coach stays level and sometimes it will sag to the drivers side and the compressor never comes on. I recently purchased the coach about a month ago and have been working on the “hole in the pavement to money into” just about every day. I did find three air leaks. Fixed two and the third one is from the primary tank at the rear above the tag axle. If I get that one fixed I think the auxiliary air compressor should not run much at all. I will test it with the system off and let you know if the compressor comes on with the system off.

My compressor is armed all the time and will come on if air leaks out.  But I recently added a switch in my front run electric bay so I can turn the pump off if I ever need to. 

I've managed to get nearly all my leaks fixed, so I can go weeks in storage with coach staying level and pump not cycling. 

14 hours ago, Bobbyboy said:

l have an 08 dynasty with the Valid (Power Gear) air levelling system.  My question is this:  with the system turned off should there still be power to the aux compressor.  I always thought that with the system turned OFF after I level, the aux compressor would not come on. However, it does--while everything is turned off.  It is not a problem with the pressure switch as that works fine;  I pulled the fuse, but when I replace the fuse the compressor comes on.(with the system off) I don't think that is supposed to happen or am I wrong.  Now if the system is turned ON then the compressor is energized although it may not come on because the tank pressure is ok.  Thanks if anyone can answer this for me.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

In the Valid system the only thing that controls the pump is the 90/120 pressure switch, leveling system on or off the pump will run if the pressure goes below 90.  I installed a switch by the driver's seat so I can turn it off if I need to.  I have my leaks down to the point the pump only runs one or two times a day, but if it is real cold out it runs more, so overnight I turn it off.

From everything I read, I come to the conclusion that there is constant 12 volt power to the aux compressor at all times--regardless of whether the Valid system is turned on or off.  So if in storage, the pump will come on if pressure gets below 90 psi, even though everything is turned off.  I don't like that-- so I will keep the fuse pulled.

Bob L. 08 dynasty

8 hours ago, Bobbyboy said:

From everything I read, I come to the conclusion that there is constant 12 volt power to the aux compressor at all times--regardless of whether the Valid system is turned on or off.  So if in storage, the pump will come on if pressure gets below 90 psi, even though everything is turned off.  I don't like that-- so I will keep the fuse pulled.

Bob L. 08 dynasty

Do you store it with the battery switches off?  If so it won't run.

• 3 months later...

The Aux Compressor is controlled by a pressure switch that the pump plugs into. I believe this has power all the time. When the pressure drops (to 80 I believe) it activates and fills the ping tank (about 3/4 gallon) You could probably put an automotive 12v relay with the pressure switch to allow you to turn it off.

I just replaced mine a few months ago once I got the air leaks under control.

I have an '09 Dynasty, although I'm pretty sure most of the chassis stuff is '08.  I have 12 volts to the pump at all times.  PO had pulled the fuse since the pump ran all the time due to my system being plumbed wrong from the factory, the pressure switch was not in the right place and never measured tank pressure, just pressure at the output of the pump which will drop once the pump turns off even though the tank was full and up to pressure.  I put in a new pump, placed the switch where it should be and installed a switch to turn the system off should I choose to do so.  When cold outside it seems that the pump will run daily.  In Palm Springs right now and I have not heard the pump come on once.  Now that I've jinxed that it will probably come on tonight at 3 in the morning.  Leaks?? yeah, most of the time you get one fixed another shows up.  Good luck.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty