Neighbor is getting shocked

Steven P

My neighbor came by today and asked me if I was getting shocked any in or around my coach.  His wife and kid have been getting shocked coming into their 5th wheel. Not a hard shock, but enough to get their attention.  The manager put his black lead in the ground and the red on a screw on the power pedestal and read 17 volts.  He unplugged his 5vr and ran off genny and no shock.  I got 14 Volts checking his and 9 volts checking mine.  I also got 9 volts having the black in the ground and the red on my leveler.  These were all measured in AC.   Supposedly an electrician will be coming out to check.  Per neighbor, it's worse after rains.   This is new to me.  Thoughts?  Bad wire in the ground somewhere?  

We had a problem with on 5th wheel just like this, getting shocked. Turns out the electric heating element in the water heater failed and was touching the tank. The unit was attached to the coach with screws that made contact with the frame. A direct short to ground of poor quality but enough to get a buzz when entering the coach. Once in the coach no problem. But one foot on the step and one foot on the ground and you could feel it. Replaced the heating coil and no problems. May be something to look at????

• Thanks 1

If you ae getting any voltage (more than millivolts) between a probe in the actual ground and the "ground" of the power post, there's a grounding problem somewhere in the power distribution circuitry.  Your neighbor's test run of genset proved that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CAUTION! People have died from Hot Skins of RV's. Have this checked out by a QUALIFIED electrician versus a RV Park wannabe electrician.

I would strongly recommend that you disconnect from the pedestal until problem has been corrected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1