80R vs 75R??

woodylmiller

Tire chart says 295 80R 22.5.  Can find plenty of 75R's, but very few if any 80R's.  1 inch difference in diameter.  Will throw the speedometer off a little, but any other problems?  A little less ground clearance.  How many others have forgone the proper 80R tires and gone with the 75R's and any problems?  thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

The 295/80 is a very popular tire. I’m surprised you are not finding many. Be sure to check load ratings on the 75 and compare it to the 80 before purchasing. I would stay with the factory size

I don't know where you are but I picked up a couple of M144s two weeks ago at a local tire shop outside Dallas. He had them next day after I called and did not sound like they were hard to get. And they are dated Apr. 2021 and don't smell 🙂

Have you checked the pressure table for 75R? Reason I went with 80R for steers. 

Woody, once you look at your axle weight ratings and your actual coach weights you will find that based on these numbers, and the tire weight ratings at maximum inflation pressures, going drown from 80R to 75R is not an option.

Thanks to everyone.  I am in the Spokane area, actually a couple hours north.  Local Les Schwab are waiting for a delivery but not date when they might have them.  This is primarily a logging area and many of the trucks are running 24.5.  Hoping to get the Toyo M144's.  I'll stick with the 80's.  Current tires have aged out, they are now 7 years old but still plenty of tread and no sidewall cracking or other defects so I'm comfortable waiting for awhile.

Woody Miller

Just got a response from Simple Tire.  The Toyo's are out of stock.  Checking with some more online suppliers on Monday.  Nice how the websites advertise having tires then don't have them once you want to place an order.  We have two commercial tire companies in my town who carry Toyo's.  One tells me their supplies don't list the M144 tire, they don't know what it is.  ?????  The other is so far out of stock I'll will have to order them online, once I find them.  I tried to use Motorhome tires dot com that is advertised over on IRVII, but all I got was form letter responses that made no sense, I didn't call them.  The site asks you to use their sponsors but that went nowhere, again, very strange.  So Monday the hunt continues as time allows.  Just discovered a supply water line leak on one of the TECMA toilets, dang!!!  Always something.