Dash air

We have a 2001 Diplomat. We are losing coolant R134A for the dash air.  The hoses are 21years old. I'm 95% certain they are the problem since I have had to repair 1 already. It helped but did not totally cure the loss. I have to add refrigerant every 4 to 6 weeks. I have checked every connection that I can find. The schrader valves are not the problem.  Compressor is fine. So here's the question: Has anyone had to change out the hoses, and how did you do it? All the AC shops say they run it under the coach, but that does not seem like a good solution to me. I have no idea how to gain access above the cargo bays to put the hoses in the original location.  

The hoses and wires are routed through a center channel in the coach that starts behind the front axle and ends in front of the rear axle.  The channel is below the interior floor and above the basement ceiling. You may have to remove the basement ceiling covers to aid access. 

The difficulty is the original hoses are secured in several places and may be very difficult to remove.  

This area is fairly well protected and unless the hose has rubbed on something it should be in good condition (at least the portion in the tunnel).

It is possible to cut the original hose and swedge a new fitting on it with the proper tools.  Then route a new section to the compressor in the rear and to the dryer up front.   

Best of luck!

I agree with Vito, new hoses would be a nightmare to install.  A hose shop should be able to cut and splice new ends at both ends of the hoses if that's where your leaks are.  An appliance shop should have a Freon sniffer to find your leak.  They just wave it around your fittings and it will beep if it finds Freon.

Woody Miller

Vito

Thanks that is what I was thinking.  I  have had to learn how to look for leaks, put die in the system,  evacuate, recharge. The 1st time was $250, thst lasted 2 days. 3 days later I found another leak. He charged $175 that time. I made it form Phx to Chinle. Had a hot trip to Cortez Colorado. Got a good Scorpion light. Comes in handy to find those nasty critters when not looking for ac leaks. Thats when I  learned how to recharge my self. Found leaks when the so-called pros couldn't find any. Have had 1 end replaced.  Lucky to have found a person who would do that. He retired, dang it.  I'm down to every couple of months or when we make a trip. Now I carry a 6 pack & a set of gages. Just running out of places to look. After the sun sets tonight I  will be  looking again before I recharge for the trip in 2 days. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  

Thank you for your input. 

Woody. Yes I  have used the sniffers before. Could not find any leak. I don't have that tool. 

You would think in a town the size of Phoenix I should be able to find someone to splice a hose. Every shop has said they can't put a 38ft in there shop. Have not been able to find a mobile either.  

If you happen to drive around DFW and have the parts, I would crimp it for you. Or invest in portable AC crimper, might not be much more expensive than what you would pay someone. Also, sniffers don't work well in the wind.

Common leak is at the fitting at the compressor which is difficult to see in many cases.  Other fittings also but the compressor is where there is quite a bit of heat and vibration.  My approach would be to replace all of the crimp connections and hose from the compressor to the rear charging ports and a short piece (12") from the ports to the hose that goes forward.  The old hose will usually seal at the new fitting but most shops won't warranty that as it isn't 100%.  That doesn't cover the condenser or evaporator but does cover the high heat and vibration areas.  Oil travels with the refrigerant so any damp areas indicate a leak.  Like others here have offered, you could use my crimper if in the Phoenix area but it may be a good investment.  Then there is the Vacuum pump you will also need.........

• Like 1

Hypoxia ; Jim C

Did I read that right ? Your in the Phoenix area?😉☺ I would love to talk to you when we get back in October. Unless we get rained delayed again.  We are in Gilbert.  In that case i would like to take to you sooner.  Lol

I  agree the 2 on the compressor side would the most likely culprits. I'm hoping we are able to get through this session without too many recharges. 

12 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Hypoxia ; Jim C

Did I read that right ? Your in the Phoenix area?😉☺ I would love to talk to you when we get back in October. Unless we get rained delayed again.  We are in Gilbert.  In that case i would like to take to you sooner.  Lol

I  agree the 2 on the compressor side would the most likely culprits. I'm hoping we are able to get through this session without too many recharges. 

Yes nearly half the year.  Should be there in late Sept. for a bit.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, BobSchmeck said:

Jim C

We plan on being back home after the Albuquerque baloon Festival in October.  God willing.  

Always looking to learn, do you except bribes for education & tool loans.  That's the preferred way over trial & error.

PM me when you are in town.  We come & go quite a bit.