Take I-40 or I-70 you asked?

Had a choice of using either from CO as the mileage was almost the same…50 miles further on I-70. Having used 70 on the way West in June, decided to use it again as it’s in really good shape…. at least from St Louis to Denver. Daughter was using 40 and said it was terrible and had lots of construction zones with stop and go traffic. Never had to slow below 55 on I-70.

Other than it being really hot and a couple of idiots that have to pass on the right and then squeeze into a hole barely big enough at 70 mph. Even laying on the horn, when they are along side, didn’t stop them. Fortunately traffic in front didn’t slow down, all of a sudden, as it would have gotten interesting. I do run a dash cam for just these idiots if something happens.

Edited by Ivylog

I-40 is a disaster from Barstow CA where it begins on the west end all the way to at least Nashville TN. We finally got off that POS in Nashville headed up to Lake Cumberland. KY. Both east and west lanes are in bad shape. We made the trip with a 2019 Jayco Seneca Super C. That coach had to be the roughest riding motorhome on the planet. The road was so rough and that coach bounced so hard, we bent the boat trailer tongue on the way home from KY. One of my better decisions ( a rare thing) was selling that Jayco and buying an older Monaco Dynasty. As far as I-40 is concerned, I would drive 500 miles out of my way to avoid that road.

20200817_121724.jpg

Edited by Nevada Rob
Add Photo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Sounds like you already reasoned yourself out of taking 40. 

Only reason to take 40 was to be behind our daughter if they had problems… they made it home shortly after we got back.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:32 AM, waterskier_1 said:

Be advised I-70 West of Denver is closed indefinitely (at least through the weekend)  through Glenwood Canyon & possible other locations.  

Looks like the west bound deck’s railing is gone… likely only the east bound (lower level) will open with one lane each direction.

7B9C584E-22DB-4C25-A406-92974CA348EF.jpeg

It's a trucking fuel discount card that diesel RVers can use. Most of the time GasBuddy's prices are better (usually at Sam's) and I can use a credit card that gives me 5% back... TSD debits your bank account. If you are a truck stop only person, it's worth getting but in 2 years I've used it maybe 5 times (3 times in Oakley ^^^).

https://www.google.com/search?q=tsd+logistics&oq=tsd+logistics&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i175i199i512j0i433i512j0i512l3j46i175i199i512j0i512l2j0i433i512.12751j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Another option is BudFlap that I signed up for but have not used mainly because I'm not paying with my 5% back credit card... 14 cents additional off today. With MudFlap you get a discount code before you get to the station (mostly truck stops) and give that code to the person who then turns on the pump at the lower price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mud+flap+fuel+discount&oq=mud+flap+fruel+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i13j0i22i30.9458j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Using Kansas City as an example: TSD best price is $2.93, MudFlap is $2.90 and GasBuddy is  $2.60 less 13 cents credit card so $2,47.

The $2.60 price is right off of I-70 and if you can’t get in-out of the pictured station ???????

5918EBD7-FB63-49D3-8544-F773A143A3E0.png

AFB50FF0-18D4-4CCC-9053-43C6A4ECB20C.png

Edited by Ivylog

No, GassBuddy is a APP that finds stations based on the filters you add. You can pay with cash or any credit card but the Sam's MasterCard is the best I've found for fuel...5% back at any station other than Costco.

Each February I get a Email that I can get my cash rewards at a Sam's Club...half mile away in Florida and they count out the hundred dollar bills.

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

Ok. I have the GasBuddy app and use it for fuel in my truck or car. Apparently you can link an account to GasBuddy like Mud flap app and get a discount off of the current price. We get gas at Sam's all the time. I may need to look into their card.

21 hours ago, Ivylog said:

No, GassBuddy is a APP that finds stations based on the filters you add. You can pay with cash or any credit card but the Sam's MasterCard is the best I've found for fuel...5% back at any station other than Costco.

Each February I get a Email that I can get my cash rewards at a Sam's Club...half mile away in Florida and they count out the hundred dollar bills.

Hi Ivylog.  You also have to be a Plus member which is $100 cost per year.  I recoup that charge fairly quickly.  Costco and some other grocery based gas stations like the family of Kroger/ King Soopers/ Ralph's, Safeway and BJ's etc., you will only get 1% cashback but there are plenty of others where 5% is accepted and I love the 3% Sam's gives cash back for most in store purchases.  Here is some of the small print.  

Category Percentages for Eligible Purchases

5% CASH BACK ON FUEL AT GAS STATIONS

For each Reward Period, you will earn 5% Cash Back on your first $6,000 spent on Eligible Purchases at Gas Stations. Thereafter you’ll earn 1% Cash Back on Eligible Purchases for the remainder of that Reward Period.

“Gas Stations” (or fuel stations) are generally merchants identified by their MCC as “Service Stations” or “Automated Fuel Dispensers.” Gas Stations do not include merchants of aviation or other non-automotive fuels.

For a list of exclusions, please log into your account at www.samsclubcredit.com/login or call the phone number on the back of your Card.