Any inverter recommendations?

Norman Austin

I bought my 2004 HR Neptune with no inverter. It used to have a Xantrex and the interior control panel is still in place.

There are so many different inverters available now. I was recommended a 2000 W Magnum, though it is over $1,800 yet I see many different ones from around $300 upwards. Yeah, well I guess you get what you pay for. I see many different Xantrex  inverters and wonder if the old wires that are still in place would be more straight forward to fit and also use the old control panel. But of course the control panel would be from 2004 and perhaps I need to modernize the whole system.

I'd like to link solar panels too, but don't know if that would have any effect on deciding which inverter to buy.

Has anyone here replaced their inverter who could offer some advice. Electrical work is a bit of a mystery to me so I may just have to get if fitted by professionals, though it would be good for me to know what to do and how to do it, so I may just tackle this and hope i don't blow myself up in the process.

Start here 

https://youtube.com/c/WillProwse

https://youtube.com/c/RvwithtitoToday

https://youtube.com/c/ImNotLostImRVing

Will Prowse is the master

I am in the process of offing my Xantrax for a Victron Multiplus 2. Waiting on a lithium battery to get dropped off. No solar in near future, but easy option with Victron going forward 

Edited by JDCrow

No matter what you will need a new remote so you might as well switch to a new Magnum inverter charger.  

They have great tech support and repair centers all over the country.  If you have any electronics I would get the MS2012 pure sine wave version.  If not, then the ME2012 modified sine wave version will work fine.  It will also do a much better job of charging your battery bank. 

With some smart shopping you can find a new ME2012 for under $900.   One of the marine places had great prices on Magnum inverters.  You will have a choice of several remote versions.  I purchased a new remote on eBay very reasonable.  

Your existing RJ11 phone wire from the basement will work with the new remote but you will have to reverse the plug on one end.  It's pretty easy to cut off the old plug and crimp on a new one (make sure you mark the polarity first).  You'll just need the new plug and RJ11 crimping tool.  All your other wiring will work but you will need to make up a new ground cable from the Magnum to the frame rail in the basement.  

I just received my Victron Multiplus II 12v 3000 watt (after a 2 month backorder). I will be installing soon as I also just got some LiPo cells in from a slow boat from china. I am interested to hear how it goes for you guys. I plan to install this setup in my 2001 Diplomat Le. I have not worked out where or how to mount the new display and what to do with the old one.

Good luck

David

21 minutes ago, David Hammond said:

I just received my Victron Multiplus II 12v 3000 watt (after a 2 month backorder). I will be installing soon as I also just got some LiPo cells in from a slow boat from china. I am interested to hear how it goes for you guys. I plan to install this setup in my 2001 Diplomat Le. I have not worked out where or how to mount the new display and what to do with the old one.

Good luck

David

We are on the same path.

Which battery did you go with? I bought a Chins Smart 200.

Did you go with Cerebro and the Color displays?

I went with Simple Controller And going use the Bluetooth features for monitoring 

I went with the;

Brand Name:VariCoreCE

Weight:5.25kg
Size:174*72*205mm
Model Number:3.2V-280Ah
Nominal Capacity:280Ah
Type:LiFePo4

I got these through AliExpress.

I bought separately, two "4s BMS 120a LifePo4 Battery Management System for 12v DIY Batteries, Programmable, Bluetooth Included."

I got the Cerbo and GX 50 Touch.

I bought the Victron thru InvertersRUS and they programed to match my BMS's/batteries. I also bought water tank heaters for the batteries that I will manually operate as I do not have circuits that need maintaining.

5 minutes ago, David Hammond said:

I went with the;

Brand Name:VariCoreCE

Weight:5.25kg
Size:174*72*205mm
Model Number:3.2V-280Ah
Nominal Capacity:280Ah
Type:LiFePo4

I got these through AliExpress.

I bought separately, two "4s BMS 120a LifePo4 Battery Management System for 12v DIY Batteries, Programmable, Bluetooth Included."

I got the Cerbo and GX 50 Touch.

I bought the Victron thru InvertersRUS and they programed to match my BMS's/batteries. I also bought water tank heaters for the batteries that I will manually operate as I do not have circuits that need maintaining.

You are building your own?

Were you nervous about AliExpress? I haven’t pulled the trigger buying from them yet

And lastly, you follow Will Prowse? 

I been following Will Prowse for a long time and even brought his book. I also watch the majority of his youtube. I'm also worry about AliExpress but I see Will P get a lot of his stuff from AliExpress. Have anyone try batteryevo.com? They have a refurbish 12V Battery Lithium 150Ah 2 kWh 200A BMS LiFePO4 LFP for $549.00. Keep us posted on how you mount the Victron Multiplus II.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:58 PM, vito.a said:

No matter what you will need a new remote so you might as well switch to a new Magnum inverter charger.  

They have great tech support and repair centers all over the country.  If you have any electronics I would get the MS2012 pure sine wave version.  If not, then the ME2012 modified sine wave version will work fine.  It will also do a much better job of charging your battery bank. 

With some smart shopping you can find a new ME2012 for under $900.   One of the marine places had great prices on Magnum inverters.  You will have a choice of several remote versions.  I purchased a new remote on eBay very reasonable.  

Your existing RJ11 phone wire from the basement will work with the new remote but you will have to reverse the plug on one end.  It's pretty easy to cut off the old plug and crimp on a new one (make sure you mark the polarity first).  You'll just need the new plug and RJ11 crimping tool.  All your other wiring will work but you will need to make up a new ground cable from the Magnum to the frame rail in the basement.  

X2…

one more note: your original inverter was probably wired with 2 legs of AC power in and 2 legs of AC power out.
While you can reconfigure the AC power, if you want to keep the 2-in/2-out configuration, that will greatly limit your choice of inverters.

Magnum me and ms Inverters are very similar to the original xantrex and will go in pretty easily  

Cheers

Walter