Hot water faucets ug up

2004 Dynasty with Aqua hot system. All hot water faucets plug up most daily with what appears to be very small particles of calcium build-up 

Have drained the system twice, pumped 5 gallons of white vinegar thru the system each time. Let it sit for 4 hours each time before flushing out the vinegar. 

Have taken the strainers out and run only hot water for hours without strainers reducing the flow.

After running only the hot water  each faucet plugs up again with strainers replaced. 

Anyone have other ideas.

Thanks

Mike 2004 Dynasty

Did you change your filters?

21 hours ago, Rick A said:

What about using CLR, it’s very good at dissolving gunk? 

Thanks that works to clean the strainers but but does nothing fir the pipes.

19 hours ago, Timaz996 said:

Did you change your filters?

Thanja It us only coming from the hot water. I service the AH every year.

15 hours ago, Steve P said:

Maybe a water filter is slowly disintegrating? 

Nope only comes from the hot ater but thanks.

When we built our new house I installed a tankless hot water heater.  We live in E TN and our water is pretty hard.  We do not have a water softener. 

Right off bat the faucets started to stop up with pieces of the calcium that drops out of the water when it is super heated.  Since there is no tank the water and particles go right to the faucets.  After doing some research I ordered and installed a 200 mesh high temp strainer.  It has done a very good job at catching most of the particle and only the real small ones pass through, which in most cases are not caught in the aerators.   The strainer I installed does not have an automatic flushing function it has to be purged about every 3-4 weeks, sometimes more.  Also found that the water temp makes a big difference, I had the temp set at 125F but wife insisted at increasing it to 135F and the amount of calcium, now haw have it set at 130F and the amount of calcium is lower. 

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/vu-flow-hot-water-sediment-filter-system-3-4

4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

When we built our new house I installed a tankless hot water heater.  We live in E TN and our water is pretty hard.  We do not have a water softener. 

Right off bat the faucets started to stop up with pieces of the calcium that drops out of the water when it is super heated.  Since there is no tank the water and particles go right to the faucets.  After doing some research I ordered and installed a 200 mesh high temp strainer.  It has done a very good job at catching most of the particle and only the real small ones pass through, which in most cases are not caught in the aerators.   The strainer I installed does not have an automatic flushing function it has to be purged about every 3-4 weeks, sometimes more.  Also found that the water temp makes a big difference, I had the temp set at 125F but wife insisted at increasing it to 135F and the amount of calcium, now haw have it set at 130F and the amount of calcium is lower. 

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/vu-flow-hot-water-sediment-filter-system-3-4

Thanks, will try to adjust temp and try the sediment filter. New ideas that we have not heard before 

I installed a spin-down filter on the hot line exiting the tank. I think it was Jim that originally put me on to it 🙂 No more clogged shower heads or cleaning the screens/aerators on the taps. I also installed a couple of electronic descalers and this cut down on the scale buildup in the hot water tank a great deal and cleaned out the lines. It also makes the water feel much softer. It's readily noticeable.

The spin down filter came 'free' with one of the descalers. I also installed a descaler at my parents house. That was really amazing. Within days you could tell from the dish washer and the flow from the bathroom sinks that it was working. After about a month they called me and told me the water pressure in the shower was too high. They have one of those showers with a million nozzles (like a full body shower). Anyway, I checked it out, and sure enough, you could lose an eye with that water pressure. I mean, it hurt. What changed? Best guess is a big chunk of scale broke down at the water pressure regulator. I had to go in and turn it down, quite a bit 🙂

20210626_104021.thumb.jpg.09c3749db7d795695eb31aeb6d8b2c56.jpg

20210128_183044.jpg

20210115_172349.jpg

While I was at it I also addressed another issue, which is not being able to get hot water at a consistent temperature. What I was finding was that I was always adjusting the temperature in the shower as the hot water tank cooled during use. To combat that I upgraded the heating element in the tank from 1400 watts to 2000 (necessitating installing a 20 amp breaker) and then plumbed in thermostatic mixing valve. You set it to the temperature you like (in my case I think is was 117f) and then when you shower you don't bother with the cold tap at all. The valve holds the temperature at 117 for the entire shower (unless the tank temp falls below that). Someone here referred to it as my 'egotistical hot water tank' 🙂 It works like you wouldn't believe. No more scalded hands when doing dishes and consistent shower temps from start to finish. 

20210127_184621.thumb.jpg.925036617d460c69a48373619a328798.jpg

Since I had so much success with revamping the water system I then had some fun by replacing the controls for the electric and propane with Inkbird temperature controllers. They are very cheap (about $20 each) and allow precise control over how hot to run the tank and when you want the electric or propane to come on/off etc. So I can now run the tank at 180f and this provides more/less endless hot water. The mixing valve regulates it down to 117f to you don't get 3rd degree burns. I also plumbed in a line direct off the tank (before the mixing valve) which provides 180f to the clothes washer and the toilet! This means that if you want, you can wash your clothes in 180f hot water and also, when you flush the toilet it self-cleans the bowl. It's pretty wild if you company over and they flush the toilet and a big cloud of steam comes off of it. The idea of using hot water to flush the toilet is not something most people have seen. It also saves you a step if you do want to clean the toilet, just hold the valve down, it fills with hot water, and away you go. 

I do find that using 180f in the washer works well for really soiled clothes. It makes a difference.

20210208_195639.jpg

Edited by Bob Jones

Hi Jim, sure can!

The first one I went with is a cheap DIY style Chinese unit. It's a dual unit which means it has two drivers and two wires. In the picture you can see it, it's the bare circuit board screwed to the wall. Those two clear lines are going to and from the accumulator. Having the Chinese unit there is more for when I run on the water pump. It means that water coming from the pump runs up to the accumulator and goes through it.

Cheap Chinese Descaler

It's worth noting that on mine, after about a month the two inductors fell off! I picked up two from DigiKey and soldered them in and no issues. But, that cheap Chinese one works. 

The other descaler is a Yarna. I bought it after I saw that the cheap one actually worked. It's the real workhorse and it's the orange one you see in the wet bay with the large thick plastic coated copper lines. That one does all the water going into the unit from the pedestal (park water). So it descales water when you are on park water or when you are filling your fresh water tank. But if water sits for a while the molecular rearrangement that the device to it tends to revert. This is also why I have the Chinese one on the lines to/from the accumulator. That way it passes, again, through the descaler if I'm running on the pump. .

If you get the Yarna unit, it's way easier to install due to the nice cables (not wires). Also, they are the company that will give you the spin down filter I have if you leave them a review, whether good or bad. Yarna is a fantastic company and if you get theirs you will have the pleasure of talking to Girlie. She is their rep and she's a real bright light. I have no doubt they will look after anything and everything. Anyway, you can get that one here;

Yarna descaler

If you really want to blast the scale, the one I got my parents for their home is the big Kahuna. It's the one that affected the scale so much that I had to make a serious re-adjustment to the pressure regulator. It's worth noting that houses here don't really have a hard water problem. That house was made in '91, I believe. So my guess is the big Kahuna removed 3 decades worth of scale.....

Yarna Big Kahuna

It also is eligible for a free spin down filter based on leaving an Amazon review.

As I'm typing this out, I'm rubbing my hands together. Why? It's the easiest way to tell if it's working. I just got out of the shower and my hands are soft. The park I am in has well water. And it's good water. But the scale buildup is the thing that got me into this. I didn't know it at the time, but the soft hands and skin/hair is a real benefit.