Tag axle tires won’t move

Went to the motor home today to do some work on my back closet doors. Pulled the coach out of its spot so I could open the slide after the work was done and the slide back in I backing into my spot and my helper said my tag axle tires were locked and not moving. I pulled forward and backed up again and they would not move. Anyone ever have this problem.  

2001 43’ executive 

I would build up 109+ psi before releasing the brakes and se if they still do not turn. Both tires not turning because of the shoes rusting to the drums is possible but not likely. I would watch the arms that should move when someone else releases the parking brakes (on level ground)… if they move then both shoes are rusted to the drums. Time to chock the wheels, put blocks under the hitch (not the receiver), and hit the metal parts of the shoes with a punch with the brakes released.

Edited by Ivylog

2 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

If you happen to be on gravel and are on brakes while slowly backing up, the tags may just drag through the rocks. See what they do with no brakes applied, you may not have a problem at all.

Or, are they actually skidding on blacktop or concrete?

Try it where you don't have to use the brake at all, gravel or not as long as the tag is down as normally. I don't know about you but when I am backing up, I usually have a bit of brake applied to go slow even at idle rpm and in my gravel driveway they may just drag through.

Or, if yours lift off the ground, try to turn them by hand...

Edited by Ivan K
  • Like 1

You were right Ivan. I was able to get some help today to watch pull forward and back up. Forward everything turned as should same with backing until I hit the brakes the tag locked up brake off everything turning.  I have been having alternator problems so I guess I was just paranoid. Thanks everybody for your responses 

• Like 2

Good to hear it was nothing serious, but gota say, I'm surprised the brakes would overcome the traction that easy, if your tag is loaded.

I have a little over 7,000 lbs on my tag. That's almost the weight of 2 1/2 compact cars, on two tires! Can't see mine just skidding.