Replace steering shaft

Guest Steven

Hello all,

My 2004 Windsor 40DST needs a new steering shaft and I am unable to find one.

REV group looked it up and it is an obsolete part. They told me the supplier back then was Douglas Auto Tech and gave me their part number 4202116-C.

When I called them they told me the last time they had a request for that was 2009. They can not help me. Can anyone tell me if they have replaced a steering shaft and if so, where was one found? I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve.

Can you describe what is wrong with your steering shaft. 

The shaft may be repairable or a new one made using the old one as a template.  All the parts should be available, mine consists of a couple small universal joints, a splined slip joint.   A good truck repair shop could possibly make it.

I would confirm the part number, there should be a sticker on it, may be hard to find or wore off though. 

When I was working in the mines ( a life time ago), we could have any drive shaft we used made locally in Knoxville TN. 

9 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Can you describe what is wrong with your steering shaft. 

The shaft may be repairable or a new one made using the old one as a template.  All the parts should be available, mine consists of a couple small universal joints, a splined slip joint.   A good truck repair shop could possibly make it.

I would confirm the part number, there should be a sticker on it, may be hard to find or wore off though. 

When I was working in the mines ( a life time ago), we could have any drive shaft we used made locally in Knoxville TN. 

This is a good point. Perhaps with some measurements a good truck mechanic shop could get what you need. Yours is possibly are close to a truck steering shaft

Edited by JDCrow

Also, the number you posted is a number for a Douglas Auto Tech steering column, not a steering shaft.  Which part do you need.

I have the parts page for my steering column and my steering shaft is a Dana Spicer 916657-437SX, when I do a search I get hits for vendors but it is special order but at least they indicate they can get.  https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/250-916657437SX.html

1 Steering Column.pdf

What is wrong with yours??   My guess is that you may have a U-joint or bearing out but either of these could be sourced and replaced. 

Try contacting Veurinks, https://www.veurinksrv.com/parts-rvs-dealership--parts 

They may have the ability to look up parts for your rig, they sourced a slide motor for me back in 2012 and expedited shipping to where my wife was traveling to. 

12 hours ago, Steven said:

Thanks Jim, I guess REV Group gave me the wrong number. I need the steering shaft.

I went back and looked at the parts page I posted and it does have the same number as you posted with a note that it was used after 2/01/02. 

But it doesn't list two different steering columns.  So I wonder if the other number for the Dana Spicer would work,  When I do a search for that I get hits. 

Here is the REV site showing your steering shaft using the old Monaco number

https://revrvparts.com/item-detail?itemId=23882&organizationId=9

Wonder why it says it can be ordered with an 11 day lead time???