Big space in front of Genset.

What have you all done with the empty space between the genset and the genset bay door.  It seems like good potential for storage, light stuff of course since the capacity of the gen-slide mechanism is unknown and it's way forward of the axle.

The original owner had built up that area into a deep rectangle storage box. I use it for storing hoses and cables etc. I also built a platform on top which is on hinges to hold an auxiliary 12 VDC Compressor which supplies air to the Step Cover when we are parked for extended periods of time.

My '09 Camelot has limited space in front of the genset so I used the space on top of it. Built a 16" x 20",  5" deep wooden box that I anchored to the generator cabinet using heavy duty zip ties where I store my 50 amp extension cord & air compressor hose. I still have a bit more room but I haven't filled it up as yet.

To the gentleman using zip ties, I suggest using the black ones and good quality if you haven't.  Cheap ties will not last long, even the black ones.  UV will eat the cheap ones in a couple of years.  A shop used some cheap crap to hold a small box on our toad and they broke and the box dropped.  They were 3 years old and the thick ones, 1/4", but cheap.  I replaced for the time being with Thomas/Betts black ties, which are high industry standard zip ties.

I have thought the same thing about all that wasted space in front of the gen.  Great place to store something for sure.

Woody Miller

1 hour ago, woodylmiller said:

To the gentleman using zip ties, I suggest using the black ones and good quality if you haven't.  Cheap ties will not last long, even the black ones.  UV will eat the cheap ones in a couple of years.  A shop used some cheap crap to hold a small box on our toad and they broke and the box dropped.  They were 3 years old and the thick ones, 1/4", but cheap.  I replaced for the time being with Thomas/Betts black ties, which are high industry standard zip ties.

I have thought the same thing about all that wasted space in front of the gen.  Great place to store something for sure.

Woody Miller

I used heavy duty black zip ties as you suggested. Being that they are not exposed to sunlight I'm not sure that UV light will be an issue. I'll keep an eye on them though. Thanks for the tip. On my Camelot, there wasn't much usable space in front of the genset plus the windshield washer tank is mounted there so I decided to avoid damaging the hose leading to the wipers by not attempting to build a box around them. I have more usable space on top of the genset.